AIR CONDITIONING

Posted by: Peder on 17 July 2018

If this heat continues,I have to install air conditioning,....even though I live in northern Sweden.
I have 33 degrees warm indoors,although all windows are open.

It's really sweaty.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by Ardbeg10y

Peder, you need an heat pump. An ex colleague of mine in Sweden did so and he cut energy bills to 1/3. In summer it pump heat into the ground, in winter it the other way around.

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by Richard Sellicks

AC inverters in our house! so cool ????

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by fatcat
Peder posted:

all windows are open.

/Peder ????

You’re probably letting heat into the house.

Keep the windows and curtains/blinds closed during the day. At night open the windows to cool the house, in morning close them to stop heat getting in.

Do you live in a brick or wooden building.

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by Guinnless
Richard Sellicks posted:

AC inverters in our house! so cool ????

Mine too.  Been on almost continuously since the UK heatwave started. ?

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Nice to get the house warm, though have to 3/4 close the blinds on two sides of the sunroom to keep sun off furniture, and all windows in there open in the eve. Otherwise windows open in bedrooms. On a few weekend days the patio doors to music room have been open (when not playing music).

Air con in Britain? Only needed possibly in south, but certainly not in many areas. 

Annoyingly the weather forecast is always so London/Home Counties centric.

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by winkyincanada

We're having sunshades fitted to our skylights as a partial defense against the ever-worsening heatwaves.

Air conditioning isn't in our plans. Yet.

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by banzai

Here in LA, we get 112 F, wow!

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by Bob the Builder

Even though most of the time I am out working in the sunshine and yes it can get hot I would take that 100% of the time over grey skies and drizzle. 

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by joerand

I'm in my mid-50s and have never had air conditioning. When I lived in Utah the house I rented had a roof-mounted evaporative cooler that worked great in the dry, high-elevation climate. Trick being to run the cooler all night and get the house as cool as possible, then shut down the house in the morning by closing windows, blinds, drapes, etc. Use the house's insulation and minimize external heat entering the house. 

We're having days of 30C+ weather in the Seattle area and I can cool my house by running a single 45-cm box fan all night, then shut down the house when I wake. The fan is located blowing out of an upstairs window. Cool air enters by opening only the most distant downstairs window. The house typically cools to 18C or less at night and rarely creeps beyond 27C by evening. The other part of the equation is internal heat management of the household during heat waves. Use the outdoor grill or microwave rather than the oven or stove, and limit running the clothes dryer, doing so only at night. I go so far as to park cars in the driveway, instead of pulling them into the garage underneath my second story. There's a lot of heat given off by an engine that will creep into the house.

All this works very well in a single-unit house and an environment where overnight temps typically cool to 15C or less.

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by tonym

Our 16th Cent. cottage has a thatch, and wattle & daub walls. stays pretty cool in here in the summer. Freezing in the winter mind. 

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by Mike-B

Considering how well insulated Swedish houses are I'm surprised you have 33'C with the windows open.   I can only guess  thats its solar radiation through the windows thats adding heat on top of the ambient temperature.  (28'C Stockholm - 24'C Sundsvall).     I would first investigate if its possible to shade the sun both directly on to &/or through the windows facing the sun - simplest is inside blinds or curtains. 

I had a similar problem & in my badly insulated house when we first moved in - hot in summer / cold in winter.   Over time I've made some changes;  first & the most dramatic drop with inside summer temperature was when I had the walls insulated.   Next I had a tiled roof canopy built over a large south facing window,  this gives the window full shade in summer & in winter the window has direct sun.  All other south facing windows have vertical blinds & in hot weather these are closed just enough to not allow sun into the room during the day, but with all the windows open.    Finally in the last year I had all my windows & doors replaced with top spec U-value units.      All this has not allowed the house inside temp to be higher than outside,  but most important it makes the house feel cooler.   

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by Beachcomber
Peder posted:

If this heat continues,I have to install air conditioning,....even though I live in northern Sweden.
I have 33 degrees warm indoors,although all windows are open.

It's really sweaty.

/Peder ????

Probably because the windows are open.  If the air outside is anywhere near 33 degrees then the house will be at least that hot - you are letting hot air get into the house.  Closing windows and curtains/blinds should keep the house at its lowest temperature.  Sure, opening a window can let what feels like cool air in - but it only feels cool because it is evaporating water from your skin, which makes it feel cool.  It is probably, in fact, warm air that's coming in.

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by Peder

To all of you who responded,...in the heat when the brain does not work as it should ????....then the simplest solutions are most difficult to come up with.

Of course,I realize now,that if the windows are open so I release the heat in to the house.
But it blew outside,so it was nice to open the windows so it blew into the house.

A friend has air conditioning,he has 18 degrees C in his house.
I asked him yesterday if I had to rent myself a few days with him ????.

My house is a two-storey tall wooden house, my mom's house is a brick house...but it gets as hot there.
It's nice to go shopping and buy food,in the food shop department for milk and dairy products you can cool off.

But we should not complain,we want to have sun in the summer,... or how ????.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by Guinnless
Peder posted:

To all of you who responded,...in the heat when the brain does not work as it should ????....then the simplest solutions are most difficult to come up with.

Of course,I realize now,that if the windows are open so I release the heat in to the house.
But it blew outside,so it was nice to open the windows so it blew into the house.

My house is a two-storey tall wooden house, my mom's house is a brick house...but it gets as hot there.
It's nice to go shopping and buy food,in the food shop department for milk and dairy products you can cool off.

/Peder ????

18C is too cold!  LOL.    AirCon is supposed to maintain a comfortable temperature.  Keep the blower speed as low as you can as this extracts moisture from the air more efficiently reducing humidity.   Mine's usually set to 22C, you only realise how warm it is when you step outside.

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by Peder
Guinnless posted:
Peder posted:

/Peder ????

18C is too cold!  LOL.    AirCon is supposed to maintain a comfortable temperature.  Keep the blower speed as low as you can as this extracts moisture from the air more efficiently reducing humidity.   Mine's usually set to 22C, you only realise how warm it is when you step outside.

Well normally it is too cold,but today when we have 34 degrees C in the shade....clear blue skies,with a sun that fry....
Well,then it's nice that he only has 18-19 degrees C inside ????????.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by Peder

Now it is enough ????,come home and it is 32 degrees C indoors.
In addition,it rained very much yesterday,..so it feels like the humidity is 100%.

Wind still and the sun fry from a blue sky, sometimes even good weather can be too much.
Must out and cycle to get some wind so I do not die ????.

And this is 1000 km north of Stockholm.....but hope you others feel good.. ????.

/Peder ????