Dark Side of the Moon vinyl

Posted by: Nuno Baptista on 22 July 2018

The 2016 remastered vinyl DSOTM 180 gr is a good remaster?I ask because old versions (2011?)were not so good...

Posted on: 22 July 2018 by blythe

I bought it whilst visiting the Pink Floyd exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London when it was on. I felt it was a very good remaster but do not have the original to compare it to.

Posted on: 23 July 2018 by Nuno Baptista

I have found a 1979 portuguese release "The Wall" in very good condition. Is it a better record than a 2016 remastered edition, no?

Posted on: 23 July 2018 by count.d

I can't imagine that a Portugese pressing being particularly good, unless I'm missing something. The Wall 2016 pressing is very good.

Posted on: 24 July 2018 by Nuno Baptista

And The Wall 2011 pressing? I can get it for a nice price...

Posted on: 24 July 2018 by Iron Cobra

Don't bother with remastered or new pressings, search out originals they are a lot better

Posted on: 24 July 2018 by fathings cat

True but you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you meet your princess......

The remaster is a safe and cheap way to hear this fantastic record on vinyl, not as good as early versions but you have to pay dearly for those and then there’s no guarantee it won’t pop and click on all the wrong places - a silent background is key to enjoying this record.

The 30th reissue is good as are early releases - the lower the number the better, the Japanese Pro and quad releases are all worth seeking out too. 

Its a well recorded album, even on digital but the latest release on vinyl is a more than acceptable way to enjoy this redord

Gary

Posted on: 25 July 2018 by joerand

DSOTM, probably the best-selling album ever. As such, probably the most iterations of pressings available between digital and vinyl versions versus country of origin. Any attempt for a lone user to identify superior SQ from among these assorted editions seems fruitless to me. Maybe there are some lesser editions to be avoided, but by and large this was such a well-engineered album from the get-go that there's not a bomb. I have five LP and three CD pressings (including MOFIs of both); each with its unique SQ signature. Those I prefer have more to do with my system, my room, and my ears than the pressing or mastering. In reality, each has appeal for different reasons and depending on mood, my rankings may change.

Posted on: 25 July 2018 by Bob the Builder

There are many dodgy pressings from the 70’s & 80’s just because it’s old doesn’t mean it’s good. The Bernie Grundman remastered are not bad if you cannot afford or find a 1st or 2nd press. 

Posted on: 26 July 2018 by Nuno Baptista

And "the Piper of the Gates of Down"?It´s the first PF record…

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Nuno Baptista

Well, I´ve bought the DSOTM remastered 2016 edition, and I´m listening right now: It´s great, it sounds better than the cd,  smoother !

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Nuno Baptista

And another one, "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, this one because is psycadelic and is the first one Pink Floyd álbum!

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by TallGuy

I prefer the 96/24 version (labeled as “original mix”) from the Immersion box set - has the warmth and dynamics I remember from the 70’s albums, but far more detailed. Having said that I think the 2016 vinyl is preferable to a Japanese pressing I have from the late 70s. I never did manage to get a good (quiet) sounding UK pressed vinyl in the 70s or 80s.  It’s just a pity that it takes so much mucking about to rip the 96/24 version from the blu-ray.

The mono “Record day 2018”  Piper At The Gates Of  Dawn” is a goodie too.