Re-discovering older superb but forgotten LP's

Posted by: blythe on 22 July 2018

This morning, I randomly pulled out an LP which happened to be "Tenement Symphony" by Marc Almond.
I vaguely remember buying it but possibly played it very little, or at least I'd forgotten about it.
Now, some 26 years later, I was amazed, not only at what a great album it is but also how well produced it is! 

What's your favourite, re-discovered album from 25+ years ago?

Posted on: 22 July 2018 by kevin J Carden

Hopefully, I have many such nice surprises to come . Here’s one that I rediscovered recently. Very enjoyable indeed. The Woodentops, Giant.

And another.. Timbuk 3, Greetings from..

And this too. Screaming Blue Messiahs, Good & Gone.

To be entirely honest, these 3 don’t quite fit your criteria Blythe, as they are old vinyl faves rather than randomly pulled from the shelf, but tastes can change radically in the 25-30 years since I last played them so I wasn’t sure what to expect.  These didn’t disappoint. 

Posted on: 22 July 2018 by Skip

I have rediscovered most of my old vinyl with the Kleos SL and the Superlne Supercap.   My Naim Audio system fills me with gratitude for my old vinyl.   I bought all these when they first came out and they sound wonderful today.  

The Band is my favorite old vinyl.   It is just luminous through this rig.

My number 2 is the Border Soundtrack by Ry Cooder with a great band including John Hiatt, Jim Keltner and Jim Dickinson.

Both sound better played loud.

One more old favorite which really sings on vinyl.

And another great memory.

Another favorite.   This may be my favorite live album of all time.

Posted on: 22 July 2018 by joerand
Skip posted:

Skip, any chance your pressing is the Capitol lime-green label mastered by Bob Ludwig (RL in the deadwax)? That's the one I've got and and it's a true corker!

Posted on: 23 July 2018 by joerand

Head East. Flat As A Pancake from 1974. 

The James Gang. Yer' Album from 1969.

I could go on ad nauseam with superb SQ vintage LPs from my collection, but these two stand out as true lost gems.

Posted on: 23 July 2018 by blythe

The Band - I only recently bought a CD of theirs and it's superbly recorded! I can imagine the vinyl must be sublime!

Posted on: 24 July 2018 by AndyP19

Robbie's guitar solo and Richard Manuel's smile at the end - wonderful track from the brown album.

Posted on: 26 July 2018 by overprint

I seldom read anything about this guy. The 4 albums I have on vinyl, all picked up cheaply in charity or bargain bins at records fairs, all sound superb once cleaned. Great music too especially this album "Magicians Hat" by Bo Hansson

Bo Hansson Magicians Hat.JPG

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Olly
kevin J Carden posted:

And another.. Timbuk 3, Greetings from..

Great and memorable album. I don’t have on CD so haven’t played in years but can still remember track titles like Hairstyles and Attitudes and Facts about Cats (Cats will be cats and cats will eat birds). 

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Olly

My LP’s remain un(re)discovered in the loft. 

I do return to Joan Armtrading Back to the Night and Joe Walsh The Smoker...  on Tidal though. 

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Innocent Bystander

When I went through my entire vinyl collection, digitising (originally to make into CDs, but not much later switching to streaming), I played every record, listening to it at the same time as ripping. In doing so I played some records I had not played for decades, though others were regular plays. Out of my ~500 LPs about a dozen made me wonder why on earth I had bought, and I deleted the rip (the worst was probably Faust by Faust). As for rediscovered gems, hard to pick a single best, but maybe Warhorse by Warhorse, Magical Love by Saturnalia and Heroes, Saints and Fools by Saracen, of which the last is best.

Posted on: 02 August 2018 by Timjoebill

Neville Brothers, Yellow Moon. 220px-Yellow_Moon_[The_Neville_Brothers_album)_cover_art

Posted on: 02 August 2018 by fatcat

Gamma 2.

I haven’t played this for a few years, although probably not as long as 25 years. Side 1 is absolutely top notch. Three heavy, driving, rock tracks and a power ballad. Voyager definitely went under the radar, superb song with a stunning guitar solo. A classic.

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by kevin J Carden

OK. Left field, maybe even guilty secret territory here, but I’ve just played this LP and been knocked out by it. Totally original in terms of lyrical style and musical arrangements. ‘Shopping bag ladies’ is goosebump City. 

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by wenger2015
kevin J Carden posted:

OK. Left field, maybe even guilty secret territory here, but I’ve just played this LP and been knocked out by it. Totally original in terms of lyrical style and musical arrangements. ‘Shopping bag ladies’ is goosebump City. 

I remember buying this album for my then girlfriend, (now wife) when it first came out, god knows how many years ago..... 

as far as I know he’s still touring....

Posted on: 17 September 2018 by Jonners

Well it might be 31 years old and most people may not remember the brilliance of Colin Vearncombe (RIP) but this is never far from my deck and if you've not discovered it yet, do yourself a favour and pick a copy up:

Image result for black wonderful life album

Posted on: 17 September 2018 by Kevin-W

An absolute classic from 34 years ago. Some people got it at the time, but it deserves a much wider audience.

Which reminds me - I must play it sometime. I haven't listened to it in ages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...p_(Section_25_album)

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by Skip
joerand posted:
Skip posted:

Skip, any chance your pressing is the Capitol lime-green label mastered by Bob Ludwig (RL in the deadwax)? That's the one I've got and and it's a true corker!

Sorry to be two months slow to reply.  I have the exterior-shade-of-Lime Green, and a stylized capital S with a small R and C inside the loops of the S.  It is labelled as a re-issue but still sounds good.

Per http://playlists.christmachine...from-main-day-page/:

SRC signature -> Specialty Records Corporation ( (Stamped, Large S with the R and C in the loops) )

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by Bob the Builder

Skip posted:

I have rediscovered most of my old vinyl with the Kleos SL and the Superlne Supercap.   My Naim Audio system fills me with gratitude for my old vinyl.   I bought all these when they first came out and they sound wonderful today.  

My number 2 is the Border Soundtrack by Ry Cooder with a great band including John Hiatt, Jim Keltner and Jim Dickinson.

Both sound better played loud.

One more old favorite which really sings on vinyl.

And another great memory.

Another favorite.   This may be my favorite live album of all time.

I have this J Mitchell LP somewhere I'll have to dig it out.

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by Bob the Builder
kevin J Carden posted:

Hopefully, I have many such nice surprises to come . Here’s one that I rediscovered recently. Very enjoyable indeed. The Woodentops, Giant.

I remember their track - Why, Why, Why being a big club hit in the late 80's and that lead me to this very good record which I actually don't own anymore unfortunately so I will be on the look out for a copy.

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by blythe
Jonners posted:

Well it might be 31 years old and most people may not remember the brilliance of Colin Vearncombe (RIP) but this is never far from my deck and if you've not discovered it yet, do yourself a favour and pick a copy up:

A STUNNING album!
I still clearly remember buying it on impulse as I loved the first single release from it. I was not disappointed and will spin it tonight :-)

Posted on: 21 September 2018 by Jonners

Ok, it's slightly cheating at just over 24 years old but this stunner has great tunes, is wonderfully produced and features the legend who is Alison Moyet on 1 track - ticks all my boxes!

Image result for lightning seeds jollification

Posted on: 21 September 2018 by Leon Wadsworth

Posted on: 21 September 2018 by Paper Plane
blythe posted:
Jonners posted:

A STUNNING album!
I still clearly remember buying it on impulse as I loved the first single release from it. I was not disappointed and will spin it tonight :-)

Have you tried this one of his? Very impressive.

steve