Xmas has come early...

Posted by: Kevin-W on 27 July 2018

... if you're a Bobby Gentry fan!

As I predicted in the 'What releases are you looking forward to?' thread, this September sees a mammoth (8 CDs) Bobbie box called The Girl from Chickasaw County. This contains, at a rough count, 75 tracks never heard/released before, even on bootleg.

So, we get all seven Capitol albums - Ode to Billie Joe, Delta Sweete, Local Gentry, Bobbie Gentry & Glen Campbell, Touch 'Em With Love, Fancy, Patchwork - in new masters, all supplemented with extensive bonus tracks; and the recently released Live at the BBC which is massively expanded to 26 tracks!

Here's some of Universal's pre-release blurb:

http://bobbiegentry.org.uk/wp-...et-Press-Release.pdf

And a disc-by-disc listening guide:

http://bobbiegentry.org.uk/wp-...ide-Disc-by-Disc.pdf

Full tracklist is here: http://bobbiegentry.org.uk/wp-...nty-Tracklisting.pdf

Of course, it's a pity that none of the late 1970s Warner stuff gets a look in, nor do any of her innovative Vegas live shows, but hell, it's about time such an important artist gets the full box set treatment.

Needless to say, I have already pre-ordered!

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Kevin-W

And it's Bobbie's birthday today. Many happy returns, Delta Queen, wherever you are!

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Stevee_S

Kev, this is really good news thanks and well predicted, I see it's available for pre-order on Amazon for £88 which seems like very sensible pricing.

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Tabby cat

I know you are a massive fan Kev.......Alison G ......slightly in the shade ....wishing you a fine weekend  

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NbciVREdLAU/maxresdefault.jpg

Stevee_S posted:

Kev, this is really good news thanks and well predicted, I see it's available for pre-order on Amazon for £88 which seems like very sensible pricing.

Yes, Steve, I'm gonna be all over this like a seagull attacking a bag of chips! It looks good value - but HMV have it for just £69.99!

I take it you will buy... at last you'll get the BBC stuff

Tabby cat posted:

I know you are a massive fan Kev.......Alison G ......slightly in the shade ....wishing you a fine weekend  

Thanks Ian... hoping for a Saarf Lundun downpour to relieve the heat.

PS - Still love AG though

This is what compiler Andrew Batt said:

"I conceived, compiled, produced/engineered and wrote the sleevenotes for this Bobbie Gentry boxset. Its been a labour of love, and for one reason or another took years to get of the ground, but Universal Music were always super keen and supportive. Bobbie knows about it but was not involved.

Re the mastering, it is superior to anything issued on CD to date, which means the released albums have never sounded better - the audio quality is noticeably superior to the Raven re-issues.

Vinyl release of some sort may follow next year!"

The excitement builds!

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Stevee_S

Looking forward to all this fine Gentry coming our way. 

I was speaking to Andrew earlier this evening (he lives near me) and he says that mint first UK pressings aside, the remastered albums have never sounded better (although it'll be interesting to hear how Fancy and Touch 'Em With Love compare to the 2016 Japanese SHM-CDs).

He sent me a file of "Salome Smith & Her Amazing Dancing Bear" (a reworking of the Randy Newman song and a bonus track on Patchwork) which is totes amazeballs.

Posted on: 28 July 2018 by Stevee_S
Kevin-W posted:
Stevee_S posted:

Yes, Steve, I'm gonna be all over this like a seagull attacking a bag of chips! It looks good value - but HMV have it for just £69.99!

Definitely  buying the set, Kev, your HMV steer just made it even more irresistible .

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Dan Steel
Kevin-W posted:
Stevee_S posted:

Now gone down at Amazon to £66.97 ????

would have been great if cd’s were in original covers.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Kevin-W
Dan Steel posted:

I believe they wanted to stick with the 10-inch square format Dan and there was no (cost effective) packaging format available that allowed for the book/individual sleeve option. The sleeves are reproduced in the book. If it means keeping the retail price down to £60-70, I think that's a good compromise.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by AndyP19

Kevin, this looks great and on my list but what floors me is the fact there are people on this forum that know their music. Bobbie Gentry and Throbbing Gristle (I'm reading Cosey Fanni Tutti's bio at the moment). What was it that George Michael said Listen Without Prejudice....

Yer man Andrew Batt seems like a nice guy who has taken time out to answer questions over on the Hoffman Forum which has gone down well 'cause as we know the Hoffmen are hard people to please when it comes to re-issues. 

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Dan Steel
Dan Steel posted:
Kevin-W posted:
Stevee_S posted:

Now gone down at Amazon to £66.97 ????

Only a suggestion, mines on order????

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Kevin-W
AndyP19 posted:

Kevin, this looks great and on my list but what floors me is the fact there are people on this forum that know their music. Bobbie Gentry and Throbbing Gristle (I'm reading Cosey Fanni Tutti's bio at the moment). What was it that George Michael said Listen Without Prejudice....

Yer man Andrew Batt seems like a nice guy who has taken time out to answer questions over on the Hoffman Forum which has gone down well 'cause as we know the Hoffmen are hard people to please when it comes to re-issues. 

Yes, the Cosey book is great Andy. And yes, it is possible to like TG and BG, or Metal Machine Music and Whitehouse AND doo-wop and Betty Boo. At least, it is in my house

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by hungryhalibut

Chris Carter is a huge Abba fan - you can’t get much different to Throbbing Gristle. 

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse
Tabby cat posted:

I always assumed Bobby Gentry was a bloke

Clearly not.

Bruce

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Bob the Builder
Bruce Woodhouse posted:
Tabby cat posted:

Clearly not.

Bruce

Wow! 

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by Kevin-W
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

Clearly not.

Bruce

Bobby Gentry might be a bloke, but Bobbie Gentry is definitely a girl.

Posted on: 14 August 2018 by Kevin-W

Apparently, the pre-order success (ie all sold, with demand outstripping supply) of this set has completely taken Universal by surprise, and they are having to increase the production run.

It shows that there is always a demand for well-produced and curated collections of the work of previously neglected artists.

So let's have that Annette Peacock mega-box!

Posted on: 14 August 2018 by AndyP19
Kevin-W posted:

Apparently, the pre-order success (ie all sold, with demand outstripping supply) of this set has completely taken Universal by surprise, and they are having to increase the production run.

It shows that there is always a demand for well-produced and curated collections of the work of previously neglected artists.

So let's have that Annette Peacock mega-box!

That doesn’t surprise me the Hoffman were all over it.

Ah the Annette Peacock mega-box would indeed be an early xmas. Fortunately, I picked up all her stuff in the 80’s when her Ironic Records was based (like her) in the U.K.

Posted on: 15 August 2018 by Kevin-W
AndyP19 posted:

Ah the Annette Peacock mega-box would indeed be an early xmas. Fortunately, I picked up all her stuff in the 80’s when her Ironic Records was based (like her) in the U.K.

That's a mighty fine avatar you have there Andy Must give AP a spin later...

Posted on: 30 August 2018 by Kevin-W

There's an interesting interview on the box set with Andrew B here:

https://medium.com/@jeremylr/b...box-set-d54d316856fb

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Kevin-W

Looks like the "Ode to Billie Joe" album will be released on RSD (in the States only?) next month.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10444

Not sure what this will bring to the party as the Pure Pleasure reissue, which is very good (it was done by Sean Magee), is still available at decent prices.

Maybe Andrew, who I know aims to pop his head round the door at some point, can shead some slight.

Posted on: 29 October 2018 by Kevin-W

For those of you in NYC, there's a special Bobbie Gentry event tomorrow. There will be screenings of rare live live footage. Should be a good'un... Andrew tells me a similar thing may be held here in The Smoke early next year!

https://www.ticketfly.com/purc...mp;utm_source=fbTfly

Posted on: 31 October 2018 by kevin J Carden

Santa’s bringing me this on Vinyl..

..pure punt based on Kevin-W’s heartfelt advocacy.

Fingers crossed I share your enthusiasm Kev!