Remasters, specifically downloadable remasters

Posted by: intothevoid on 27 July 2018

The trouble with downloadable music is that you cannot try-before-you-buy. Yes, you may be able to listen to samples of tracks, but I've never seen these in their native format, i.e. they are usually downsampled to mp3. This practice doesn't allow you the opportunity to ascertain whether an album that's been remastered in to a hi-res format is actually any better than an original cd version.

Case in point, I recently found that Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) by the Eurhythmics is available in 24/96, but is it any better than the cd I already have? It's a great album and I'd happily buy the hi-res version if it is better.

Any words from the wise? Anybody bought it that would like to comment?

Thanks.

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Bert Schurink

In most cases the high resolution adds something. So when I like the album, I always get for the high res version when remastered....

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by David O'Higgins

Hi Bert, 

I fully  agree

David

Posted on: 27 July 2018 by Sloop John B

I think the original RCA Cd Version is considered the best version of Sweet Dreams. At least that was the wisdom on the Hoffman forum when I was fleshing out my Eurythmics collection a few years ago.  

I think the mastering has a much bigger impact on SQ than the resolution. Still to be fully convinced about hi-res. 

.sjb

Posted on: 28 July 2018 by AndyP19
Sloop John B posted:

I think the original RCA Cd Version is considered the best version of Sweet Dreams. At least that was the wisdom on the Hoffman forum when I was fleshing out my Eurythmics collection a few years ago.  

I think the mastering has a much bigger impact on SQ than the resolution. Still to be fully convinced about hi-res. 

.sjb

Ah! The Hoffmen they do like to stir things up and say the same things about the original Bowie RCA cd's.

Posted on: 28 July 2018 by Nick Lees

The choice there is usually the first CD version or the version that’s impossible to get. 

Posted on: 28 July 2018 by intothevoid
Sloop John B posted:

That's the version I have, but recording levels were so much lower back then - blame the loudness wars.

It's certainly not a bad recording, but does the 24/96 version make it worth buying again? No answer to that without spending the cash.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Crispy
Bert Schurink posted:

In most cases the high resolution adds something. So when I like the album, I always get for the high res version when remastered....

Am with Bert on this one. Have been getting high res files for some years now. Some of the early ones were a bit like early Blu-rays where the studio released a version without any care. New releases and remastered now are excellent and, to my ears, are a step ahead of even good sounding ripped CDs. Just has more definition and scale to the music. 

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

I've come and gone with re-masters. They do vary and whilst some really old grotty albums are transformed not all go well. Sometimes the 'extras' packaged are worth it but not always. I'd rarely buy a re-master for that though.

Best example I can give is 'Benefit' by Jethro Tull. Transformed by Steve Wilson on the re-master, the old version sounds like you have a sock in your ears by comparison. Prefab Sprout 'Steve McQueen' is very good and comes with a great disc of acoustic versions too.

A poor one-Nick Cave 'Boatman's Call'. Struggled to tell much difference. I was a bit underwhelmed by the re-master of Paul Simon 'Graceland' too, although one of 'The Rhythm Of The Saints' seemed much better, plus an extras CD that I though was more interesting.

So a mixed picture from me. High-res for new music is a different story and is generally now my default.

Bruce

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by intothevoid

Thanks for all the replies.

Hi-res is generally my default now too, where the content is available.

Posted on: 09 August 2018 by intothevoid

Well, I took the plunge. Highresaudio had the best price and a 15% offer, so it would have been rude not to.

impressions?

on first listen, recommended. Lots of new detail, cohesive, musical.

will listen more to form a better opinion, but money well spent IMO.

Posted on: 09 August 2018 by Mike-B

Yup HRA is a good company,  but keep looking around.

I normally go for the highest res 24-bit download possible,  but in truth its hard to tell any difference between 96kHz & 192kHz,  in the cold light of day the price might swing that choice.   I also look for DSD & tend to take that as 1st preference if they are available.   I'm slightly wary of the old classic's (not meaning classical music) originally recorded in analogue;   tape noise is usually still present & remastering does not get rid of it all.   Also remastering can be a mixed bag, I always look around www for reviews on these before I buy,  although I'll buy blind with a known recording engineer like Steve Wilson.

Posted on: 09 August 2018 by Alley Cat
Nick Lees posted:

The choice there is usually the first CD version or the version that’s impossible to get. 

Or the vinyl 

I bought Touch in HiRes the other day, then found my vinyl copy - just need to do an A/B.  I think Touch is far superior to Sweet Dreams in terms of the non-single tracks being excellent.

Posted on: 10 August 2018 by intothevoid
Alley Cat posted

I bought Touch in HiRes the other day, then found my vinyl copy - just need to do an A/B.  I think Touch is far superior to Sweet Dreams in terms of the non-single tracks being excellent.

I've not heard Touch so will take a listen. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sweet Dreams is a bit of a nostalgia trip as it reminds me of my youth 

Posted on: 10 August 2018 by intothevoid
Mike-B posted:

Yup HRA is a good company,  but keep looking around.

I normally go for the highest res 24-bit download possible,  but in truth its hard to tell any difference between 96kHz & 192kHz,  in the cold light of day the price might swing that choice.   I also look for DSD & tend to take that as 1st preference if they are available.   I'm slightly wary of the old classic's (not meaning classical music) originally recorded in analogue;   tape noise is usually still present & remastering does not get rid of it all.   Also remastering can be a mixed bag, I always look around www for reviews on these before I buy,  although I'll buy blind with a known recording engineer like Steve Wilson.

We have the same reasoning Mike. I also struggle to tell the difference between 96 and 192, but will buy the 192 if available and cost-effective.

I also went through a phase of preferring to buy DSD but, in all honesty, couldn't tell the difference between that and a 96 or 192 recording. The main caveat being that I could only listen to DSD that Naim was capable of decoding, i.e. single and double rate.

Posted on: 10 August 2018 by m.paul taylor

I have just looked at HRA’s website. Looks interesting with a good range but what does “listening TIPP” mean?

Posted on: 10 August 2018 by AndyP19
Mike-B posted:

Yup HRA is a good company,

Ummm possibly, I bought a hi res download from them last week and it was a ‘needle drop’ recorded from crackly vinyl.

I pointed this out to them and they said ah yes but it was remastered by a professional German studio!