Grover Washington Jnr

Posted by: Atom/Iota/Kan Stands on 28 July 2018

I bought this album when it first came out (c.1980) and loved it on my Rega 3/NAD 3020 system.

Just listened to it for the first time in years, it's still marvellous.

The sound is beautiful; so clear and dynamic, smooth and soulful.

Fav track:  Take me there, blissful.

Tony

Grover

Posted on: 28 July 2018 by nigelb

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Posted on: 28 July 2018 by Atom/Iota/Kan Stands

...I'm now on Come Morning.

Posted on: 28 July 2018 by Bert Schurink

I have this one also already for a very long time....

Posted on: 28 July 2018 by French Rooster

my preferred is «  Live at the Bijou », from 1977.  I am listening to it sometimes since 30 years, and with the same pleasure.

Posted on: 28 July 2018 by DrMark

Check out Mister Miagic...I think it is his best studio work.

Posted on: 28 July 2018 by Bob the Builder

I bought maybe five GW Jnr albums in a Charity shop maybe five years ago for £1 each. I will have to retrieve them from the loft where they have been ever since I agreed to a bit of a cull during the negotiations that allowed my system and my records into the main living room.

I keep meaning to go up there to have a look as I cannot remember what exactly is up there I know there are lots of 70's rock like Santana and Dylan and also lots of House, Soul & Reggae 12" maybe if I smuggle them back down one at a time they won't be noticed 

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Atom/Iota/Kan Stands
French Rooster posted:

my preferred is «  Live at the Bijou », from 1977.  I am listening to it sometimes since 30 years, and with the same pleasure.

Really, I will add that to my favourites and will listen later when Nigel Farage finishes on LBC

DrMark posted:

Will do!!  Thanks.

Bob the Builder posted:

I bought maybe five GW Jnr albums in a Charity shop maybe five years ago for £1 each. I will have to retrieve them from the loft where they have been ever since I agreed to a bit of a cull during the negotiations that allowed my system and my records into the main living room.

I keep meaning to go up there to have a look as I cannot remember what exactly is up there I know there are lots of 70's rock like Santana and Dylan and also lots of House, Soul & Reggae 12" maybe if I smuggle them back down one at a time they won't be noticed 

I am only tangentially interested in reggae, but I had very many 12" single soul/jazz funk records back in what the kids now call, 'the day'. 

I would go out on a Saturday night, discover the latest vibes, then go down Petticoat Lane market in London's East End, where they had giant stalls selling hundreds and hundreds of 12" singles including imports.  Must've cost me a fortune, shame we didn't have Tidal then.  Forget the cost - imagine what new music I would have discovered, and how much time I would have saved.  The kids today don't know they've bee born!

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Kevin-W
Atom/Iota/Kan Stands posted:
DrMark posted:

Will do!!  Thanks.

Talking of Mr Magic, check out Johnny Guitar Watson's version, here:

Notice how he's not using a plectrum - the man is funky to his fingertips!

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by AndyP19

GW Jr's  1975 album Feels So Good album - which is very good is £2.99 on Qobuz https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/al...r/0060251791049#item

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Happy Listener

One of my desert island albums on vinyl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00fJwdbdyQY

GWJ - The Best is Yet to Come - better than Winelight IMHO. I now need to look up Mister Magic …..thanks Kevin. 

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by French Rooster
Kevin-W posted:

Talking of Mr Magic, check out Johnny Guitar Watson's version, here:

Notice how he's not using a plectrum - the man is funky to his fingertips!

very good version of mister magic, i didn’t heard it before.    

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by DrMark

I second French Rooster - thanks Kevin for posting that.

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by douglas

This guy made some excellent albums keeping my LP12 busy. No longer with us unfortunately.

Another one from that era was Dave Grusin on the GRP label.

All very well recorded and cut.

Douglas.