Oregon Coastal Highway

Posted by: Don Atkinson on 29 July 2018

We're going back to Canada again and during September will have time to spend about a week or ten days in NW USA. Mrs D would like to drive the Oregon Coast. Trip Adviser and one or two other web sites list their "10 Top Sights to Visit" etc but I wondered what Forum members would advise ?

We will probably include Crater Lake before working our way back through Idaho, Wyoming and Montana, then Calgary and Lake O'Hara where we have a site booked for three nights before getting back home in Vernon.

We have visited all these other places several times before, but not the Oregon Coast.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by JRHardee

It's magnificent! I've driven down it a couple of  times. There are plenty of state beaches along the way with inexpensive and plentiful camping,  if you  want to do that. Ashland is in the neighborhood of  Crater Lake. It's a cute town worth a look, and if the Oregon Shakespeare Festival is  running that time of year, treat yourself to a couple of plays.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by JRHardee

Check road conditions before driving to Crater Lake, It can be icy any  time of year.  I've almost made it to  Crate Lake twice.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by winkyincanada

To truly experience the majesty  of the Oregon Coast, you should cycle it.

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by Derek Wright

Hazy memory warning - in 1975 we did a Vancouver (Canada) to Phoenix AZ to Vancouver (Canada), southern route inland, northern route on the coast.

Any way the name Klamath came to mind when I read your post. Going south (inland) we crossed the Klamath River and I seem to remember some impressive water falls.

Going north we stayed at a small hotel at the mouth of the Klamath River. Lots of people fishing for salmon on the river and excellent salmon for dinner in the hotel.

The trip was in August and we had quite a bit of rain on the journey through Oregon.  Quite a dramatic drive from what I could remember in the car that was bigger than some of the motel rooms we stayed in.   

However things may have changed in the last 43 years.

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by JRHardee

Cycling the OR coast involves constant, serous hills on a crowded road, although perhaps less crowded in September. It's not for everyone, not even all cyclists, but if you are hard-core cycle tourists, it could be one of the best trips of your life. Cycling south to north would put you on the inland side of the road, which might be more relaxing.

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by winkyincanada
JRHardee posted:

Cycling the OR coast involves constant, serous hills on a crowded road, although perhaps less crowded in September. It's not for everyone, not even all cyclists, but if you are hard-core cycle tourists, it could be one of the best trips of your life. Cycling south to north would put you on the inland side of the road, which might be more relaxing.

Yeah, cars tend ruin everything that I love.

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by TOBYJUG

Did a little tour in one of those rental sleepin big jobs from Siuslaw National park to Winchester bay. Those roads up in the hills are sharp bendy. I would be terrified if I was on a road bike.

If I was to take on a bike trip I'd stay in the Bend area, their all hippies with no cars/trucks living here. 

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by Don Atkinson

So, cycling or driving means keeping my eyes on the road and concentrating.

Which are the key view points at which to stop, or short walk vantage points, that are "not to be missed" ?

We tend to Drive-Stop-Enjoy........Drive-Stop-Enjoy.........

Meanwhile, thank you all so far for your contributions and guidance.

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by TOBYJUG

Roughly speaking the Oregon coastal highway is much of a muchness with no outspoken highlights about it. All of it is filled with wondrous beauty if you like this sort of thing.  You should enjoy your own adventure.

my take was following the surviving and not so surviving indigenous Native American spots.

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by joerand
JRHardee posted:

Check road conditions before driving to Crater Lake, It can be icy any  time of year.  

Icy any time? Highly unlikely any summer, especially this summer.

Back to Don, I've spent many summers working throughout Oregon's river systems. Crater Lake is scenically and geologically spectacular and unique, but frankly remote and off the main highway corridor. My favorite summer place in Oregon is Cannon Beach. A smallish tourist town with mom and pop character. Gorgeous sand beaches with unique rock formations. Google 'haystack rock'. You can walk onto it and climb along it any day. Ride rental bikes right up to it. 

You can bring your own kite, but there are several local kite shops. Always plenty of onshore afternoon wind ....

Posted on: 01 August 2018 by Don Atkinson

Thanks Joe,

Those photos look great. I'm sure we'll include Cannon Beach in our stops, kites or no kites!

Posted on: 11 August 2018 by seakayaker

I love the Oregon Coast, spent some vacation time in Bandon on the southwest coast during the summer as well as Canon Beach further north.  In Bandon there are miles of gorgeous beaches to walk, rock formations to view and climb on, horseback riding, kite flying, peace and quite, and a world class oceanside golf course if you enjoy a round. I also love light houses and the Oregon Coast have plenty along the route to visit. The southern portion of the state has the road running along the Pacific ocean with an unobstructed view so I enjoy that portion of the trip a bit more. There are plenty of great seafood restaurants to  be found and fishing charter boats available if that is something you enjoy. Plenty of beautiful scenery all along the route and worth taking the time to explore. Good luck on your journey.....