LP Record gel cleaning

Posted by: Yetizone on 29 July 2018

As I’m gradually going through my old LPs, its very clear that some of the discs urgently need a good clean, having accumulated surface noise during long term storage. Ideally I’ll buy an Record Cleaning Machine in time, but they are costly and in my current work / listening room a bit tricky to store.

So, alternatives? I’m sure some of the vinylistas here will have seen some of the (alarming) wood glue LP cleaning experiments featured on Youtube? Scary! Well I thought why not, lets give it a try as I have plenty of wood glue at hand. I decided to use an album I knew to be in poor condition and one I wasn’t too bothered about. And also for crimes against cinema when Elton John was seen to 'act’ in Kingsmen The Golden Circle!

Does it work? Yes. I was actually quite taken aback at the significant improvement achieved with this technique. After the dried glue had been removed and the disc test played, the surface noise was mostly gone, all but a few light pops remained. Now, I certainly wouldn't use PVA or wood glue on a precious album due to the possibility of the glue leaving behind chemical residue and the aggressive bonding capabilities of PVA / wood glue in general, but this was intriguing.

Spurred on by the success, a little research brought up two products called “Record Revirginizer” and “Winyl Record Cleaner”. Intended to be used in a similar way as the wood glue technique, but designed to be much kinder to the vinyl surface. Essentially a light adhesive, deep clean peel. 

I ordered a bottle of each and have been experimenting since. Again, not on precious vinyl, but a couple of discs I wasn’t that concerned about and knew to have annoying surface noise. I achieved similar results to the wood glue, only a lot more user friendly in every way. In most cases, nearly all surface noise removed. It won’t repair a damaged / scratched record, but it will deep clean sufficiently to revive an old LP to being playable.  

I started off using the recommended 15-20ml, but soon found this excessive and honed my technique to use just 8-10ml per side. 

A few step by step pics of firstly how I used the glue, and in more detail, the gel...

Glue applied and left to dry...

Wood glue is easy to remove, once an edge has been peeled away, but much much easier raising the edge with the gel than with the glue…

And the use of the dedicated record gels in detail. A close up of the dirty record before application...

About 10ml Record Revirginizer applied…

I brushed in the gloop with a good quality artists hog hair brush, as its less likely to shed bristles…

Then very gently work the gel deep into the grooves with finger tips. This also evens out the liquid and removes air bubbles. The open time is just about long enough to do this, even in the recent hot weather…

And done! Once applied, it takes roughly four to eight ours to dry per side. 

When the gel is still wet, a small paper tab is stuck onto the goo at the record edge, this will help removal when dry. I applied the gel to one side, when touch dry, flip over and apply to the other LP side. Doing both at once minimises the chance of recontamination…

And you can clearly see how clean the vinyl surface now is...

Admittedly, its quite a long procedure and for large collections a dedicated RCM would be the best solution, but I've managed to set up a mini work area (on a drawing board) and have four to five albums on the go at once. I only have a few hundred albums, and not all need cleaning, so a few bottles of gel should see most of the collection in much better shape.

Anyway, hope any bods in the same situation may find the post useful, especially if space is compromised and an RCM cannot easily be accommodated.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Hook

Yeti, you have the patience of Job!  

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by AndyP19

I've been looking at a few of the youtube clips on this 'process' over the past month and it looks very interesting.

Although you have to wonder what goes through peoples' heads. Why oh, why oh, why would you try it out on your favourite records.............. 

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by wenger2015

Absolutely fascinating, glad to hear the process works so well. 

I have recently purchased a Project RCM, which works extremely well, you can have a record cleaned and back on the platter in minutes....

As I am generally time poor it works for me... but that said if you have the time and the process works for you, then that’s all that matters 

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Innocent Bystander

I wish O’d known about this when I had a vinyl collection - it may have made my rips sound better, and even may have made me keep the turntable! Although it is clearly time-consuming beginning to end, it looks like it is no more than two or three minutes actual work per side once you know what you’re doing - and as for precious discs, once they have deteriorated then they are worth the seemingly small risk.

I actually thought a lot of my records were simply worn out, and only quite recently coming to understand that the deterioration may have been at least as much due to ingrained dust/dirt, despite careful handling, manual cleaning and use of an antistatic gun.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Bob the Builder

I bought a first press six eye Columbia Miles Davis record recently that looked like it had been cleaned with a wire brush for about £3 these usually go for £150. A very rigorous hand wash and then a couple of minutes each side on my PHK RCM about the cheapest RCM on the market and I can now enjoy the music.  Yes it does still have the odd pop and crackle and still looks horrible but it sounds fantastic.

It would take some ill treatment to leave a record unplayable after a proper clean on a RCM or this Gel method of YETIZONE's. 

A couple of years ago I bought a carrier bag full of quite rare soul and reggae 7" from the mid to late sixties. They had no covers and had been treated quite badly so they may make a good experiment for this Gel technique.

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by Yetizone

@Hook. Ha ha! I think its quite an enjoyable process, and really, I find it no less patience testing than ripping CD’s and finding high res artwork etc for a FLAC file.

@Wenger. Time is tight here too most of the time, but I’ve now got a pretty efficient workflow. It takes me around 10-15 minutes to apply gel to five LP sides, usually first thing in the morning, then leave to dry while I work, then do the other side in the evening. Leave overnight and peel off both sides (takes seconds) and pop them in a fresh sleeve. Quite a simple process that doesn’t take up much hands on time at all. Its having sufficient space to set up multiple discs and to leave them undisturbed I find the main challenge.

@AndyP19. I’ve watched some of those videos on Youtube and some beggar belief. I certainly wouldn’t ever consider applying glue on a spinning turntable platter, then spreading the glue at speed using a hard edged credit card! The thought of wood glue meeting a Rega felt turntable mat is not appealing. That guy in the video didn’t apply Titebond (the same glue I used) generously enough. All he needs to do is apply another layer and it will bond to the first, then remove. Alternatively, using a hair dryer (on low heat not to damage the vinyl!) would make the dried glue sufficiently pliable and an edge could be raised with a wooden toothpick. That guys record aren’t a write off at all, he’s just being too precious.

@ Bob the builder. I think an RCM is the ideal scenario and its reassuring to read you are Wenger are getting good results, especially on used and abused records as you seem to have achieved there Bob, that must be very satisfying. Great find on the Miles Davis album too.

@Innocent Bystander. Ah, so you ripped you records to a digital format. Interesting. That had never occurred to me and could be uninteresting idea. Will read up and investigate.

An RCM of some sort will probably be the next step for me I think. Its just going to be tricky housing one. I was looking at the Nessie range of machines over the weekend, and they look like nicely made units and are reportedly very quiet in operation too.

After I'd written the post last night I had my best result so far. A copy of Men At Work - Business As Usual, I thought was so worn / damaged that it was beyond repair and intended to discard it, as it had distortion and heavy surface noise from start to finish on both sides, throughout. Now, its more or less completely silent and that distortion has gone. This was with the gel, not the glue btw. I’ve also been closely examining the stylus point after playing these cleaned discs, and the diamond remains spotless. 

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Yetizone posted:

@Innocent Bystander. Ah, so you ripped you records to a digital format. Interesting. That had never occurred to me and could be uninteresting idea. Will read up and investigate.

Yes, I decided to stop further deterioration by ripping and making CDs of them - and not long after that switched to streaming, the rips now form part of my collection ...complete with the preserved surface noise(!), however I have downloaded replacements for the worst offenders

In the process I used Audacity (software) to clean up some, which is particularly effective with clicks or pops, even the occasional scratch.

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by Richard Dane

One little warning for anyone contemplating the wood glue method of LP cleaning; it can work really well if you're patient and careful, but, if you get it slightly wrong there's a chance of leaving a tiny piece of hardened glue deep in the groove - more likely if you make coverage too thin in places - and this can cause serious damage to your stylus.  So please be careful...

Innocent Bystander posted:
Yetizone posted:

Yes, I decided to stop further deterioration by ripping and making CDs of them - and not long after that switched to streaming, the rips now form part of my collection ...complete with the preserved surface noise(!), however I have downloaded replacements for the worst offenders

In the process I used Audacity (software) to clean up some, which is particularly effective with clicks or pops, even the occasional scratch.

Thanks for the info - interesting stuff. I’m assuming that the deck is plugged directly into a laptop via an appropriate phono stage with a USB / HDMI out, and then the Audacity software records the music - and this file can be tweaked afterwards? What phono stage did you use for the task? Plus, once digitised, how does the album's sound compare to a ripped CD / HD download of the same album?

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by Kev G

Yetizone, a really interesting post for those of us who, for whatever reason, have never invested in a RCM. Have you found in difference in results or ease of use between the two gels tested? 

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Yetizone posted:
Yetizone posted:

Thanks for the info - interesting stuff. I’m assuming that the deck is plugged directly into a laptop via an appropriate phono stage with a USB / HDMI out, and then the Audacity software records the music - and this file can be tweaked afterwards? What phono stage did you use for the task? Plus, once digitised, how does the album's sound compare to a ripped CD / HD download of the same album?

I did in two ways: first fed the tape output of preamp to computer, enabling me to play the music over rest of system at same time (as an aside, it was an interesting exercise listening to every record methodically from first to last as I went through the entire collection!) - but after a few I added an old spare preamp between tape output and computer to boost the level, which worked better. And yes, Audacity did the capturing, and can be used afterwards to tweak as desired. (Happy to share my experience with click removal if/when appropriate.)

With the benefit of hindsight, if I were doing now I would get an external (=better) ADC to use between preamp and computer, but still expecting to feed it from the tape output. Something like the Focusrite Scarlett gets very good reviews, can do 24/192, yet is available at very reasonable price - but whatever one gets, if secondhand it can probably be moved on upon completion for negligible loss.

Yetizone posted:
Yetizone posted:

I did in two ways: first fed the tape output of preamp to computer, enabling me to play the music over rest of system at same time (as an aside, it was an interesting exercise listening to every record methodically from first to last as I went through the entire collection!) - but after a few I added an old spare preamp between tape output and computer to boost the level, which worked better. And yes, Audacity did the capturing, and can be used afterwards to tweak as desired. (Happy to share my experience with click removal if/when appropriate.)

With the benefit of hindsight, if I were doing now I would get an external (=better) ADC to use between preamp and computer, but still expecting to feed it from the tape output. Something like the Focusrite Scarlett gets very good reviews, can do 24/192, yet is available at very reasonable price - but whatever one gets, if secondhand it can probably be moved on upon completion for negligible loss.

Thats FAB - thanks for the detailed info, I didn't realise this process could be done domestically to such a high resolution. OK, this is intriguing I must say and will give the idea some thought if my current vinyl revival falters. 

Kev G posted:

Yetizone, a really interesting post for those of us who, for whatever reason, have never invested in a RCM. Have you found in difference in results or ease of use between the two gels tested? 

In terms of sheer cleaning performance, there’s hardly anything in it. Both give almost identically results.

I prefer the initial application method of the Winyl. As the bottle comes with two plastic syringes, I could accurately extract the desired volume. The Revirginizer does not come with a measuring dispenser - luckily I had a little 50ml plastic measuring cup at hand. Needless to say I use the plastic syringe with both now. 

If I had to choose, I’d say the Revirginizer is little more forgiving, especially when a reduced volume of liquid is used - the instructions advise this once the user gets used to the application technique. 

The reduced volume, dried Revirginizer film feels a touch more robust. Whereas with Winyl, i’ve found that when dropping down from 15ml to say 8ml, the dry Winyl can tear and become a little trickier to handle as its that bit more delicate, occasionally leaving strips of dried residue - nearly always around the run in and run out grooves, or vinyl edge. These persistent strands can easily be dislodged by rolling up the spent ball of goo and gently rolling over the residue - or lightly rubbing with a clean wooden toothpick, this can also work. This, obviously a compromise of using a reduced amount given the rather high price of roughly £20 per 500ml bottle of each product. Once used up, I'll work out how much per LP it has cost.

Despite those very minor issues, I would not hesitate to buy both again.

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by Hmack

Looks like fun??

Don't forget that there are very decent RCMs available for less than £350 (such as the Project RCM) , so depending upon the size of your record collection this may be a much better bet, and certainly much less time consuming.

Having said that, I quite fancy getting some gel to try it out on my very small collection of singles from the 70s. I don't fancy paying the extra £100 or so for the Project 7" suction arm kit just to experiment with 30 or so singles.