Albums you once enjoyed but now sound dire

Posted by: Alley Cat on 05 August 2018

Ripping some CDs to the NAS today, and have found some things I've not listened to in ages, some have not stood the test of time at all.

Boy, this is awful:

Posted on: 05 August 2018 by Iconoclast

When that album first came out I thought it was interesting. Later on I grew tired of it and thought it sucked pretty bad. In retrospect I think there might be 3-4 tracks that are still listenable which is just about representative of Moby's repertoire which while very uneven still contains a few decent tracks.

Posted on: 05 August 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

I think I used to go through that phase with most U2 albums after 'The Joshua Tree'. I stopped buying them after a while. Any remaining were deleted from my NAS when I did a bit of a clear up.

Bruce

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by joerand
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

I think I used to go through that phase with most U2 albums after 'The Joshua Tree'. I stopped buying them after a while. Any remaining were deleted from my NAS when I did a bit of a clear up.

Awesome!

I think Bono still hasn't found what he's looking for creatively. 40+ years of the same derivative sound. I can't listen to U2.

I'll give him credit though, he fills venues and does philanthropic work. None of it coming from my pockets or through my ears.

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse
joerand posted:
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

Awesome!

I think Bono still hasn't found what he's looking for creatively. 40+ years of the same derivative sound. I can't listen to U2.

I'll give him credit though, he fills venues and does philanthropic work. None of it coming from my pockets or through my ears.

He also never seemed to find a decent studio/production engineer. For a band with access to such resources a lot of their albums sounded terribly compressed and murky to my ears.

Bruce

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by Numptyhead

This is a great thread. Everyone likes a good whinge!

Even though I am a bit of a Steve Winwood nut - even his albums fall under this banner.

Much as Arc Of A Diver has some really wonderful songs - it sounds awful. Thin, bass and mid range free with horrible 80s synths throughout. I am not a fan of artists re-recording their own stuff but this album is a strong candidate.  

Vinyl, 1st edition CD, 2nd edition CD all sound truly horrible. Great songs though. 

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by Alley Cat
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

Bruce

I walked out of a Joshua Tree concert as I was bored stiff.

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by Timjoebill

Most Yes albums apart from 'The Yes Album' and parts of 'Fragile'. 'Atom Heart Mother', Pink Floyd. Urgh! 

Timjoebill posted:

Most Yes albums apart from 'The Yes Album' and parts of 'Fragile'.

Have you heard an original LP of 90125 on a quality system? A paragon of an album for recording, engineering and mastering quality. Amazing speed, imaging and soundstage, notably "Owner Of A Lonely Heart".

Perhaps you simply don't like Yes' music?

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells. As a kid used love it.. and even now can’t fault the recording and production, but musically it sounds so mechanical and procedural like playing instruments by numbers... sorry Mike...

Numptyhead posted:

Much as Arc Of A Diver has some really wonderful songs - it sounds awful. Thin, bass and mid range free with horrible 80s synths throughout. I am not a fan of artists re-recording their own stuff but this album is a strong candidate.  

Vinyl, 1st edition CD, 2nd edition CD all sound truly horrible. Great songs though. 

Interesting because "Back In The High Life" (original LP) has amazing SQ and coincidentally, I hold it in the same esteem as Yes 90125; outstanding recording and mastering quality, and excellent music. Both albums about as good as vinyl can sound. Both LPs I'd happily pull out as shining examples of my system's performance.

As you note Arc Of A Diver, I agree something is off about it. I've got the original Islands label vinyl and it plays with a strong left-channel bias. Something about the recording or mastering was out of balance, and you wonder how that can happen. Still, it's an album I can enjoy because the music is so good. 

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by joerand
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells. As a kid used love it.. and even now can’t fault the recording and production, but musically it sounds so mechanical and procedural like playing instruments by numbers... sorry Mike...

Tubular Bells gets cited so often here in the "What Are You Listening To ...." thread that I youtubed it a while back, having never heard it before. I can only suppose much of the fascination comes from the fact that this was a teen artist who played most of the instruments. Musically, nothing I'd spend my money on, let alone listen to again. Maybe filler material for a movie soundtrack.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Proterra

HI Simon Tubular bells is still good for its time. Have you heard the recent reworked Ommadawn album Return  to Ommadawn. That's sound even better.

Mike Oldfield is such a talented musician. On the subject of film soundtracks, his Killing Fields album  is superb.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by TOBYJUG

Scissor Sisters.   Night Work.

Like many others I enjoy the first album they did.  I did like this later one for a while,  but later listening shows they had long dried up any creativity with this self derivative twaddle.  It's pants.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk
Proterra posted:

HI Simon Tubular bells is still good for its time. Have you heard the recent reworked Ommadawn album Return  to Ommadawn. That's sound even better.

Mike Oldfield is such a talented musician. On the subject of film soundtracks, his Killing Fields album  is superb.

Proterra, no I haven't heard that album - perhaps I'll search it out on Qobuz later - thanks

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Am I allowed to mention Dark Side Of the Moon without people shouting 'heretic' and booting me from this place?

I listened to it after a break of many years and thought it desperately dated (although dire is maybe a bit strong). I cannot imagine listening to it again, although it was probably the second or third LP I ever bought and nearly wore it smooth initially.

Bruce

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Mike-B
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

Am I allowed to mention Dark Side Of the Moon without people shouting 'heretic' and booting me from this place?

Begone heretic,  cast out all nonbelievers I say, they are but the spawn of the devil.  

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by TOBYJUG
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

I listened to it after a break of many years and thought it desperately dated (although dire is maybe a bit strong). I cannot imagine listening to it again, although it was probably the second or third LP I ever bought and nearly wore it smooth initially.

Bruce

You'll come around to it again eventually.

" Its said that a person can profit from reading Don Quixote" by Miguel De Cervantes three times in life: in youth to laugh, in middle age to think, and in old age to cry"

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Kevin-W
Bruce Woodhouse posted:
 desperately dated

I don't listen to it as much as I did as a teenager, but weirdly enough I think it has held up exceptionally well. Lyrically, sonically, conceptually, the packaging, hasn't dated one jot. In fact I think as an album, it may even be getting better with age, and I suspect it will still be listened to a century or two hence.

The utterly dire A Momentary Lapse of Reason, on the other hand, sounds even worse now than it did in 1987. (I have to confess that I never liked it when it first came out).

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by blythe

+1 for Scissor Sisters. Hate them now.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Alley Cat
blythe posted:

+1 for Scissor Sisters. Hate them now.

Funnily enough just found a Shakespears Sister (sic) CD, and I'm trying to figure out which band was which, as I struggle to remember any of their respective tracks.

Last week I bought a big IKea Kallax rack for my record overspill (over a thousand of them! ). Once I started alphabetising everything I noticed that I had a couple of Eurythmics LPs. I played one of them and it was gash. I've no idea why I bought it...

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by dknk

I recently went through my record collection like Kevin-W did. A couple of stinkers, Blondie - Parallel Lines and The Monks - Bad Habits...both did not age well imho. Good idea about the IKea Kallax rack Kevin-W, I will take a look at them.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Numptyhead

Last week I bought a big IKea Kallax rack for my record overspill (over a thousand of them! ). Once I started alphabetising everything I noticed that I had a couple of Eurythmics LPs. I played one of them and it was gash. I've no idea why I bought it...

Kevin

Forget the Eurythmics records (I agree with you btw..) but the real scoop here is the Ikea rack you bought? Maybe a separate thread needed. My LP storage is all over the place using umpteen racks and purpose-built nonsense. What is a Kallax rack? Any other forum users got any storage favourites? I'm in the market......

Hi [@mention:72948380262405885] and [@mention:76187608726740196] - Kallax is a range of shelving units. They are built up of boxes of about a foot square, so perfect for LPs.

A 5 x 5 unit like the one below, holds up to about 1,500 LPs and measures 6ft x 6ft. Costs just £150 here in the UK and is easy to assemble. You can get them in all manner of combinations - just look on the website.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by ChrisH
Kevin-W posted:

Always hated them, also no idea why, it was always that way....