Tinnitus, how do you cope?

Posted by: Rich 1 on 09 August 2018

A post from FinkFan has prompted me to ask 'how do others cope with tinnitus when listening to recorded or live music?' I was born with it and have learnt to filter or ignore it, indeed for a long time I thought it was normal and that everyone had it! Rich 

Posted on: 09 August 2018 by Guinnless

I tend to avoid stadium[1] music now as I have to use 3M Music earplugs to reduce the noise level.  I'd rather go to small venues and see (listen?)  to Martin Simpson, Moya Brennan etc

Sometimes the Tinitus is louder, other times it's quieter.  Either way there's nothing I can do about it so I just have to live with it
At least it's only one ear, but that's because my other ear doesn't work at all.  I make sure that I always protect my hearing when required e.g. top notch earplugs when riding my motorbike.

People used to ask why do you have a fancy hifi system when you can't hear properly?    I said I can hear just fine that's why I have a Naim system and not a plastic midi-system purchased from somewhere that sells washing machines and cookers.   I have no problem telling systems apart either at home or in the dem room.

Posted on: 09 August 2018 by Finkfan

I listen to music as often as I can. I have an iPod that I use on a daily basis and my hifi is in my office. I find the difficult times for me are early mornings, once I’m awake I find it very difficult to go back to sleep. Also of an evening when my wife and I are getting our children to sleep. It’s so quiet, for my wife and children, but for me the whistle is torturous, so I turn to the iPad or iPhone for music. When I’m vacuuming or cutting the lawn, the iPad is pretty much a must, as the constant noise of the motors aggravates the condition.

A whisky also helps of an evening on the weekends

Posted on: 12 August 2018 by blythe

I moderate my listening volume levels, have cut back my live music events and when I do go, I take musician's ear plugs which do not sound like sticking your fingers in my ears.
However, I am acutely aware that I do not wish to cause further damage by prolonged (or even short in extreme circumstances) loud music or other loud noises.
In March, I briefly attended a dance party in Sydney, where the db level was hitting 124dbs. (According to the app on my iPhone)
The safe exposure time at that level is a mere 3 seconds....

I've also visited restaurants where the db level is hitting over 100db. Safe exposure level? Around 3 minutes.

Not long enough to even order your drink!

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by Mike Hughes

Wholly avoid headphone listening, air conditioning and fans. Use ear plugs at all gigs. Little difference between large or small gigs.

Mostly don’t think about tinnitus as I would implode. Have also found that reduced dairy intake helps although it’s probably just the placebo effect.

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Japtimscarlet

I tried some Lazer ear treatment

I believe it's supposed to improve the blood circulation in the inner ear

I could feel it working and my inner ear getting warmer and my sinuses clearing...but don't think it actually helped the symptoms ( buzzing ) at all