Vintage John Peel Shows & Sessions

Posted by: Kevin-W on 11 August 2018

Made an interesting discovery earlier in the week.

A guy on Soundcloud called  'patestapes' has uploaded more than 80 vintage (1970s to 90s) Peel shows. They make for fascinating listening - brought back so many memories and it reminds one just what a much-missed presence JP still is, even after 14 years.

Back in the late 70s and 80s I used to tape Peel's shows, first on a boombox then on a mono Philips reel to reel. Wish I'd have kept them...

But for those interested, here they are - enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/patesta...ts/the-peel-sessions

Posted on: 11 August 2018 by Tony2011

Thanks for posting, Kev. Some true gems in  there and this guy has the patience of Job in  uploading  all that. I will definitely have a listen to a few of them. Brings back sweet memories. Cheers.

Posted on: 11 August 2018 by nickpeacock

Nice one Kevin!

Posted on: 11 August 2018 by dave marshall

How good is this!  

Great post, Kevin. 

Posted on: 11 August 2018 by Cbr600

Great guy, I have a few cd's of his stuff

imageimage

Posted on: 12 August 2018 by ChrisR_EPL

I recently found a minidisc in a box, which contained 6 Music's Tribute to Peel - three hours of programming in pretty good quality. Most of it was the man himself in conversation with his old mukka John Walters, followed by his edition of Radio Radio, a late 80s / early 90s(?) BBC radio series that highlighted the careers of then top Radio 1 DJs. I'll see what else is on - tbh 2 & half hours in one stretch was enough.

Posted on: 12 August 2018 by Stevee_S

Good find Kevin, thanks! 

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by Mike Hughes

Currently reading the Cavanagh book on Peel. Will see if Soundcloud matches any of the programmes he describes.

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by Bob the Builder

Three that stick in my mind were Bob Marley & the Wailers 1973 obviously I wasn't able to hear this live but have listened to it many times, Culture one of my first introductions to proper Reggae (other than Bob) I did actually hear this one live aged 13 in 1982 and lastly A Guy Called Gerald in 1988 Emotions Electric  from that session is one of the greatest House music tracks of it's day.

Although probably 70% of the Peel Sessions were not my musical taste he always championed Reggae Music which at the time apart from David Rodigan and  Radio 1's late sunday night show with the Ranking Miss P he was about the only mainstream Radio DJ to do so. A true pioneer of new music.

Posted on: 14 August 2018 by H2S

Thanks Kevin - I used to tape the Festive 50 quite religiously in the same time period, to the extent that I would dash back from the pub to turn the tape over!!! Still got some of them somewhere. Might have to dig out the NAK 125...

More nostalgia than I can handle though