Blue light harms vision

Posted by: johnG on 12 August 2018

New research is detailing how blue light, which emits from smartphone and laptop screens, can damage your retinal cells, and possibly lead to macular degeneration, an eye disease that causes vision loss.

https://au.pcmag.com/news/5805...speeding-up-vision-l

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by Finkfan

I’d seen something like this a while ago and on my iphone I always have night shift on about a 3rd. 

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by Dazan

Yup, the "night light" switches on automatically at 10pm on all my Apple and one Microsoft Surface devices. They surely came up with this for a reason.

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by joerand

Doesn't Apple have a blue light reduction app?

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by Finkfan

Yes. On newer devices. It’s called Night shift. It’s in the display and brightness settings. 

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by Richard Dane

I find the Apple night settings very useful - much easier when reading the forum before bed time...

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by joerand

Aha. It's called Night shift then. I'm not a smartphone user myself. My mother was recently diagnosed with macular degeneration and cataracts, so there's been chatter among my siblings about blue light prevention. The eyeglasses I bought in February have a blue light coating. Blue light supposedly also reduces melatonin production which results in poor sleep. 

Personally, I don't need an abundance of scientific evidence to enlighten me to the notion that staring at a video screen for hours a day is not ideal for personal health and wellness.