???? Aretha Franklin 1942-2018 ????

Posted by: Peder on 13 August 2018

The American soul Queen Aretha Franklin is reported to be seriously ill and her family should have gathered to say goodbye.

Franklin is seriously ill and Franklin's close urged to prepare to bid farewell already two weeks ago.
"I'm so sorry to have to report that the Queen of Soul and my good friend Aretha Franklin are seriously ill. I spoke to her family members this morning. 

She wants you to pray for her, "writes Evrod Cassimy, reporter at the local television station WDIV-TV in Detroit, on Twitter.
Shortly after five o'clock on Monday, Swedish time, Cassimy writes that he himself talked to Franklin.
"Just got the chance to talk to Aretha Franklin.

She rests, surrounded by close friends and family, "he writes on Twitter.
First to report on the news was the site Showbiz 411, run by the entertainment reporter Roger Friedman. According to their sources, 76-year-old Franklin is now for death, surrounded by loved ones in the home city of Detroit.

"The family prays for prayers and seclusion," writes Friedman.

Even NBC journalist Harry Hairston writes on Twitter that the condition is serious.
"Spoke with a close friend of Aretha Franklin with family. The iconic singer does not feel good, "he writes.

In recent years, Aretha Franklin has been struggling with health problems and 2010 she was operating for a tumor in her stomach.
According to The Telegraph, she has been conspicuous by her absence at several events during the year, including a memorial for the Temptations member Dennis Edwards in February.

After a doctor's advice, in March she blew up a performance on her 76 birthday and in April she presented a festival event in New Orelans.
Last year, Aretha Franklin announced that she was planning to retire.
In an interview with a local TV station in Detroit, she thought about giving out a final album in collaboration with Stevie Wonder, and then abdicating as a soul queen to spend more time with her grandchildren.

-I will be pretty much satisfied, but I will not go away anywhere and just sit and do nothing. "Nor would it be any good," she said in the interview.

Aretha Franklin was born 1942 in Memphis. Her upbringing was characterized by gospel music and she made her debut with a gospel album as a 14-year-old.
The breakthrough as soul singer came 1967 with the song "I Never Loved a man (the Way I Love You)". Shortly thereafter, big hits came as "Respect", "Think", and "I say a Little Prayer".

During her long career she has released a 40-odd studio album, she has won 18 Grammy statuettes and was the first woman to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

/Peder

Moderated Post:  Peder, as requested, since hearing of Aretha's sad passing, I have amended your thread title accordingly.

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by French Rooster

i hope she will survive.  Really the biggest queen of soul still alive.   The kings are dead:  curtis, isaac hayes, james, wilson Pickett, Edwin Star.  Mavis Staple still singing and Tina of course.

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by ewemon

Still one of the very few artists that have ever sent a chill up my spine with her vocals. Her 60's Atlantic albums are all classics.

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by Peder

???? French Rooster,....Unfortunately,it is probably just to realize that hope seems to be out.
This fu*king cancer,okey...Aretha has lived a long life,..but still.

When one was younger,it was not thought that this musical era would run out at some point.

All the artists of the old school,..Who could sing,play a real instrument,meet their audience from the scene....they get fewer and fewer.

Just like in my thread..."WHO...will take over", yet there has come no suggestion....and I was wondering if there is any.

/Peder

Posted on: 14 August 2018 by Peder

???? So Sad.....???? 

Beyoncé and ????Aretha Franklin???? 
? https://i.imgur.com/Q9yULWZ.jpg

The Soul Queen Aretha Franklin is seriously ill with cancer and has not long left to live.

That's why Beyoncé chose to pay tribute to her idol,during a concert in Franklin's hometown Detroit.
"We love you and thank you for the beautiful music," she said from the scene.

On Monday, several international media reported that the Soul Queen Aretha Franklin is seriously ill with cancer.
According to TMZ, she has not far left to live, and now says farewell to her closest in a hospital in Detroit.

When the star pair Beyoncé and Jay-Ms Z's tour took off in just Detroit later in the evening,they chose to dedicate the concert to their idol.

The concert was launched by DJ Khaled who opened with Aretha Franklin's Superhit "Respect".

Once Beyoncé entered the scene,she greeted the severely ill Franklin:

– This concert is dedicated to Aretha Franklin. We love you and thank you for the beautiful music,said Beyoncé from the scene,writes the Detroit Free Press.

Best singer ever,it was on Monday that Showbiz411 reported that the iconic singer Aretha Franklin has not far left to live.At eight o'clock the same day, TMZ wrote that the doctors at the hospital informed her family that the singer will soon go away.

Aretha Franklin is seen by many as one of the greatest artists ever with his 18 Grammys. 

As the first woman ever,she was chosen in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 1987 and Rolling Stone magazine has selected her as the best singer of all time.

Her recent gig took place last year,when she appeared at a gala organized by the Elton John AIDS Foundation.

/Peder

Posted on: 15 August 2018 by Peder

Here prays Detroit for Aretha Franklin's life "We hope for a miracle"

???? http://a.msn.com/09/sv-se/BBLY6nL?ocid=se

I hope you can see it,it is via Swedish TV.

/Peder

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Peder

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

???????? ARETHA FRANKLIN ????????.. passed away today in the morning,another big superstar has silenced.

Please add clip with her songs here,return with information.

/Peder

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Brilliant

RIP!

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Brilliant

From Swedish TV...???????? 

Soul-Queen ????ARETHA FRANKLIN???? passed away on Thursday.
The American singer was 76 years old.

Aretha Franklin had been poor for a long time, and pancreatic cancer is described as the cause of death.

Aretha's last appearance was a Gala in November 2017,..Organized by "The Elton John Foundation".
Aretha was only 14 years old when she released her first album.

The music magazine Rolling Stone has named her the ?Best Singer Ever?.

?The Best Singer Of All Time ?

ARETHA FRANKLIN,..the American soul scene dominated for several decades,...with songs like "Respect", "I Say A Little prayer" and "Think".

Aretha released her first record already 1956. Then she sang as a 14-year-old little girl from Memphis,..Gospel.
During the 50 century,Aretha played in various churches,before the first record contract was signed in 1960.

The second half of the 60 century,she became a dominant name on the American Soul scene.
The growing song catalogue gave Aretha Franklin the nickname "The Queen Of Soul".

Last Disc,.. " So Damn Happy " was released 2003.

???? RIP Aretha Franklin ????

To show the voice and which turn Aretha could create on stage,with Annie Lennox. "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary Show..???????????? 

???? https://www.youtube.com/watch?...z2-7A-Qc&sns=sms

/Peder

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Tabby cat

Sad news - Thanks for all the great Music Aretha and your musical legacy - R.I.P  now

https://tonedeaf.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/aretha-franklin.jpg

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Pcd

Sad news indeed.

Aretha Franklin's family says in a statement....

"In one of the darkest moments of our life,we cannot find the right words to describe the pain in our heart.
We have lost our family's matriarch and rock ".

The statement from the family continues.....

"We have become deeply concerned by the incredible stream of love and support we have received from close friends,supporters and fans all over the world.
Thank you for your compassion and your prayers.

We have known your love for Aretha,and it gives us comfort to know that her legacy will live on".

CNN reported,..Referring to sources close to Aretha Franklin,she received a number of visitors during the week,who read aloud messages from friends and relatives.
Among the people who have visited her there are Stevie Wonder,civil rights activist Jesse Jackson.

When the magazine Rolling Stone 2010, appointed Aretha Franklin as the greatest singer in the history of Music, the Journal wrote in the explanatory statement....

"And Aretha is a gift from God.
When it comes to expressing oneself through singing,there is no one who can come close to her.
She is the reason why women want to sing".

/Peder

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Bert Schurink

Very very sad. Another great from our youth has passed away.....

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Richard Dane

Very sad news.  RIP Aretha.  I say a little prayer for you...

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Dan Steel

Very sad she will be sorely missed.
RIP

Posted on: 17 August 2018 by Peder

A nice picture of Aretha Franklin before the cancer-disease began to appear... ????????????

Aretha Franklin,..Rest in Peace.
???? https://i.imgur.com/UHfuiyl.jpg

Aretha on stage,before she get sick.
???? https://i.imgur.com/v6pfAzT.jpg

Oops,for some reason we have two Aretha Franklin threads,but it has no meaning... Aretha deserves many threads ????????.

I read this below on a Swedish forum today,is it anybody here who heard that version.
There are apparently several clips on Youtube, I have asked them on the Swedish forum to put in the clippings with the best soundquality.

But is there anyone here who found the best Video-clip,so feel free to add this... ????????????

"I heard a recording today on the radio in the car,from any event where Pavarotti got sick and Aretha became "Stand In".. and would sing Puccini's "Nessun Dorma".
It will never work I thought,but Jesus....I was sitting and grinning in the car.

Audience "Went bananas"...Have you not heard that version so try to find it ?".

/Peder???? 

Posted on: 17 August 2018 by Richard Dane
Peder posted:

...Oops,for some reason we have two Aretha Franklin threads,but it has no meaning... Aretha deserves many threads ????????...

Three actually - there's another one in the Padded Cell - but, as you say, I guess it's well deserved.

I started the morning spinning Aretha Now followed by Lady Soul...

Posted on: 17 August 2018 by Quad 33

RIP Queen Of Soul...

Posted on: 17 August 2018 by Peder

From Swedish TV...

???? So Hailed Aretha Franklin ????

Aretha Franklin mourning the world over.

Now,several TV channels in the United States are planning tributes to the Soul Queen.
Among other things,..MTV announces that Aretha Franklin will be honored on the channel's annual gala VMA,which is arranged on Monday.

Even Oprah Winfrey's TV-network is planning a tribute.

At the same time,tributes from the world's artists continue to flow.
The Rolling Stones,John Legend,Mariah Carey and actor Jennifer Hudson are some of those who have taken to social media,to pay tribute to Aretha Franklin...who died on Thursday,76 years old.

/Peder

Posted on: 17 August 2018 by Eoink

RIP

Posted on: 18 August 2018 by Mike Hughes

There is a narrative which says that whilst she scored huge at Atlantic some of her Columbia stuff was equally great. I long ago concluded that wasn’t true. Anyone searching for her genius on Columbia will find glimpses of the raw talent and the odd indisputable performance but the real deal is found on those initial Atlantic albums. Moreover, huge credit has to go to Wexler, and not enough will be written about this, for the fact that nothing clicked on those initial sessions until she sat down at the keyboard. Her cadence and rhythm completely changed from when she was stood up and it’s often a near magical transformation, all discovered by accident. Mid to later Atlantic albums again fell into the trap of having her as a singer only,  and the outcome is predictable. Bear in mind that even when she was credited with keyboards on those later records she rarely recorded vocals at the same time. 

I consider her first Atlantic album to be as close to the perfect album as you’ll ever get but listen to the demos and see the live performances of those same songs where she stands and they’re curiously disengaging. The sort of technical virtuosity people have been mistaking for soul for decades. Technically brilliant. Emotionally a nothingness. The Queen Of Soul boxed set is a cheap way to hear the fall off for yourself. Can anyone hear the same singer by CD 4. Far better to buy those 1st 4 Atlantic albums and see whether you can get to 8. 

Posted on: 18 August 2018 by Peder

???? ARETHA FRANKLIN on..."Lit De Parade" ????

On 31 August,the Soul's Queen Aretha Franklin will be buried in her hometown Detroit.

For two days before the funeral,fans can say goodbye to Aretha,when the coffin is shown to the public at a museum of African-American history in the city.

Family,close friends and specially invited guests will be present during the funeral ceremony, held in the Detroit church...Greater Grace Temple.

ARETHA FRANKLIN died on Thursday of pancreatic cancer.
Aretha was 76 years old.

/Peder

Posted on: 18 August 2018 by Sister E.
Mike Hughes posted:

There is a narrative which says that whilst she scored huge at Atlantic some of her Columbia stuff was equally great. I long ago concluded that wasn’t true. Anyone searching for her genius on Columbia will find glimpses of the raw talent and the odd indisputable performance but the real deal is found on those initial Atlantic albums. Moreover, huge credit has to go to Wexler, and not enough will be written about this, for the fact that nothing clicked on those initial sessions until she sat down at the keyboard. Her cadence and rhythm completely changed from when she was stood up and it’s often a near magical transformation, all discovered by accident. Mid to later Atlantic albums again fell into the trap of having her as a singer only,  and the outcome is predictable. Bear in mind that even when she was credited with keyboards on those later records she rarely recorded vocals at the same time. 

I consider her first Atlantic album to be as close to the perfect album as you’ll ever get but listen to the demos and see the live performances of those same songs where she stands and they’re curiously disengaging. The sort of technical virtuosity people have been mistaking for soul for decades. Technically brilliant. Emotionally a nothingness. The Queen Of Soul boxed set is a cheap way to hear the fall off for yourself. Can anyone hear the same singer by CD 4. Far better to buy those 1st 4 Atlantic albums and see whether you can get to 8. 

How interesting!!

I always felt her career never scaled the heights of the Atlantic years. With Arista  she made increasingly bland and commercial albums, her voice suffering from years of heavy smoking. So much credit should go to Wexley, Mardin and Dowd at Atlantic for bringing out the best of her immense talent.

Sister xx

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Mike Hughes

Here’s a read which briefly confirms the impact of her sitting from the perspective of the musicians. It’s interesting. I have fun playing an acoustic when standing but my timing and singing is way better when I sit. 

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Peder

????????????This Is Ridiculous Good ???????????? 

I have my roots in Rock'n'Roll,albeit I listen to most things.
But the roots never go out,music when it swings properly and the feet can not be still... it's a great feeling.

When you see that seasoned musicians also wake up to,....Yes,then it will be magical.

Watch this Video with Aretha Franklin,Keith Richards,Ronnie Wood with several pull of the Rolling Stones old "hit"...????Jumpin' Jack Flash.?

Aretha is ridiculously good,it swings unbelievable....and the musicians have a hard time sticking to laughter,...so good is this.

I say it again,I think you get the best experience to listen to video-YouTube clip through good headphones,...while looking at the picture.

???? Place on stage: Aretha Franklin with the Rolling Stones.....Jumpin' Jack Flash.

Enjoy....

/Peder ????

--------???????????? The Video ????????????--------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...krLpwj1vk&sns=em

-----------------------------------------------