One drink. One side. One song. Which one.

Posted by: Skip on 13 August 2018

Welcome to my world.

Great opportunity for us all to focus.  

This was a quick trip.

My recent college graduate son brought a few friends over to listen to vinyl.

We listened to Buckingham Nicks and almost got to The Band on vinyl and then they were ready to head.

One drink.  They nodded and then they were out of here.

What one vinyl side would you play to engage them?

Their attention span drives everything in the world.  Twitter, FB, Spotify.

How to roll with it?   How to roll with it on vinyl? 

Posted on: 14 August 2018 by Kevin-W

If you played them Buckingham-Nicks Skip, no wonder they were out of there!

You should have played the first side of Second Annual Report by Throbbing Gristle, or Meet The Residents. That'd keep them rooted. If only terror.

Posted on: 14 August 2018 by Jonners

Easy - "Smells Like Teen Spirit" off "Nevermind" by Nirvana. A drink to keep them rooted? Gotta be a Manhattan for the guys which is too hefty to chug or a Bellini for the fairer sex. Job done I'd say!

Posted on: 14 August 2018 by Christopher_M

A case of ice cold San Miguels

Side 4 of the Exile on Main Street

All Down The Line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B51A6bcMeDY

Posted on: 14 August 2018 by nickpeacock

The first side of Pink Floyd's 'Atom Heart Mother'. Little bit of everything there. Stirring stuff.

Mojito (May to September) or Espresso Martini (October to April).

Posted on: 14 August 2018 by Dozey

Caravan - Land of Grey and Pink. Side 1.

Posted on: 14 August 2018 by Hook
Skip posted:

How to roll with it?   How to roll with it on vinyl? 

Easy question!  Put on Hendrix’s “Axis: Bold as Love”, then roll a joint using the album cover. 

Posted on: 14 August 2018 by fatcat

Last month my daughter was staying with us for a week. When she arrived home, I happened to be listening to Somebody's Leavin' by Little Feat. Her first reaction was, who’s this, it’s brilliant. After she’d input the information into her iphone for future reference, we listened to the whole album, sampling the Yamazaki she’d bought me. (Neat and highball)

It doesn’t get any better than Whisky, The Last Record Album and Somebody's Leavin'.

(Although I did get into a disagreement with my wife. I’ve always thought the vocals on Somebody's Leavin' was by Bill Payne, she’s convinced it’s Paul Barrere.

Posted on: 14 August 2018 by Skip
Kevin-W posted:

If you played them Buckingham-Nicks Skip, no wonder they were out of there!

You should have played the first side of Second Annual Report by Throbbing Gristle, or Meet The Residents. That'd keep them rooted. If only terror.

Funny comment about Buckingham Nicks.   I completely agree but it was on top of the pile!   Boy Wonder picked it out and put it on.  Not me.  

Never heard of Throbbing Gristle.   I have had several power cord and related products from the great Bob Crump, late proprietor of TG Audio.   He was in Texas, fabricated cables and other products in his home, and drew so much current breaking in a full production batch that the power company suspected he was growing pot under lights.   Interesting guy.  He always told me TG stood for Throbbing Gristle.  Will check them out.

Love the Little Feat suggestion.  

My last girl friend got the Hendrix about 40 years ago.  Don't miss either very much.

Just finishing up Side 4 of Exile and checking out the rest of the suggestions.  Keep them coming.  Many thanks.

Posted on: 15 August 2018 by joerand
Skip posted:

My recent college graduate son brought a few friends over to listen to vinyl.

One drink.  They nodded and then they were out of here.

What one vinyl side would you play to engage them?

Too self-absorbed with your system Skip. Wouldn't have mattered what you played. The boys gave you a brief courtesy listen to vinyl, but their night was really all about going out sniffin'.

If the roles were reversed a generation, would you have expected your friends to sit and listen to your dad play Frank Sinatra records as opposed to night out at the bars?

Maybe they'd have stayed longer if you brought out your stamp collection.

Posted on: 15 August 2018 by Skip

Thanks for the feedback, guys.   This process is not about me.   I should have said "They"  not "We".  I keep a few favorites out, like we all do and our Boy Wonder and friends stop by, select an LP,  and crank it up.  You can't do this on Sonus, after all.

Prince 1999 got a rise out of them last night.  Side 1 ending with Delirious.    Takes me back to 1984.  You may have forgotten how much fun that was!

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Dan Steel

Jack Daniels - large glass

Side 1 - Moondance 

Track - Into The Mystic