Av Receiver with front pre-out

Posted by: Anavrin on 15 August 2018

Hi Guys

I have a Naim Uniti Star, which at the moment is connected to my TV via TosLink for sound through some Wharfedale Diamond 230 floorstanders, Im looking to add a Centre, sub and two surrounds for a 5.1 setup, but I want to keep my front speakers connected to my Uniti.

Can anyone recomend a simple AV receiver that can power the Centre and surrounds has pre-outs for the front speakers, I don’t need loads of inputs, don’t need WiFi/Bluetooth and I have no DVD player, just want to run maybe a couple of HDMI devices like Apple TV/Roku.

i can get a matching center speaker, and I’m hoping I can get some small, Deseret surrounds as my watching position is right up against a wall so I can’t really have them behind, could I get away with some ceiling mounted speakers for surrounds?

Posted on: 15 August 2018 by Dungassin

I think almost all of them do, but I am prepared to be corrected.  You don't mention a budget.

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Adam Zielinski

Most of the good brands do that. Have a look at the curret favourites like Denon, Yamaha or Pioneer.

Posted on: 17 August 2018 by Consciousmess

Hi Anavrin,

I have just bought a receiver which suits your needs - incidentally another Forum member, Eloise recommended it. Marantz ND1508 and it cost me £250 brand new.  This is from a Naim nVi which originally retailer at just shy of £3000.

The sound is just as good.

You will need to get a 2xRCA to DIN cable as the pre out is 2xRCA. Very happy I am and this is with a highly revealing Naim system I have.

Please update what you do.

Posted on: 17 August 2018 by Anavrin

Thanks for that, I looked at them on the Marantz website, but I didn’t realise the price, I’ve been watching a few SH units go on eBay but I’m now going to have another look at the Marantz.

My Uniti Star has a pair of RCA inputs available so I should be good to go ????

Posted on: 18 August 2018 by Stephanie Gelder

Dennis are good I have a 4400 cost £830 they do some good cheaper ones with pre outs. You don’t need a musical one you have your naim for that. So go with something like the Denon / Yamaha over the more expensive marantz / arcams that are better musically but that’s just wasted.

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Meerkat
Consciousmess posted:

Hi Anavrin,

I have just bought a receiver which suits your needs - incidentally another Forum member, Eloise recommended it. Marantz ND1508 and it cost me £250 brand new.  This is from a Naim nVi which originally retailer at just shy of £3000.

The sound is just as good.

You will need to get a 2xRCA to DIN cable as the pre out is 2xRCA. Very happy I am and this is with a highly revealing Naim system I have.

Please update what you do.

Hiya Consciousmess...I had the ND1506 which had pre outs. I connected it to my Marantz A39 amp with 2xRCA, in an attempt to use my Spendor A5s, but just couldn't get the sound right. Very, very low volume! I must have been doing something wrong?

Cut a long story short, I sold the ND1506, and got the Bose Soundtouch 300, and the Bose Subwoofer.

Posted on: 22 August 2018 by Anavrin

I think the pre out on an AV system is only 1 volt compared to 2.5 volts from a stereo pre amp, maybe that’s why it was so quiet.

i can see in the naim app that when I select the Analoge input in settings, I can change its sensitivity to 1 volt for AV, there’s also a trim setting too.

The wife’s just talked me into buying a 50” 4k TV, so unfortunately I might have to wait a little for my upgrade now.