Posted by: ken c on 16 August 2018

RIP...

/ken

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by FangfossFlyer

A great talent.

R.I.P.

Richard

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Gazza

Very sad indeed one of the great music legends.

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by dave marshall

R.I.P. 

Truly, she was the Queen of Soul, very sad news indeed.

A worldwide, or at the very least, this forumwide, Aretha day, surely?

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Xenasys

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by marcusman

RIP.  

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by audio1946

fitting they about to release remastered singles lps  great soul voice .  

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Dan Steel

Very sad she will be sorely missed.
RIP

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by northpole

One of the very greatest talents I am sure we will ever have the pleasure to see and hear; whose legend will live on as long as we have the ability to replay music.

Peter

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by Bob the Builder

Aretha gave many stellar performances as a Jazz, Soul and Gospel singer and it was as a Gospel singer that she gave her finest performance IMO on Amazing Grace which was released in 1972, as a double LP, recorded live during the service at New Temple Missionary Baptist Church in Los Angeles.

Though an accomplished pianist her voice was her instrument and singing was her talent lots of people will say well she didn't write her own music but she didn't need to because when she sang a song be it a Jazz standard, a hymn or a song by Simon and Garfunkel or The Beatles she breathed life into it and made it something truly extraordinary.

She will always bring pleasure to my life and along with Otis Redding will always be one of the two greatest ever singers she was effortless and incredible. R.I.P.

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by rjstaines
Bob the Builder posted:

Aretha gave many stellar performances as a Jazz, Soul and Gospel singer and it was as a Gospel singer that she gave her finest performance IMO on Amazing Grace which was released in 1972, as a double LP, recorded live during the service at New Temple Missionary Baptist Church in Los Angeles.

Though an accomplished pianist her voice was her instrument and singing was her talent lots of people will say well she didn't write her own music but she didn't need to because when she sang a song be it a Jazz standard, a hymn or a song by Simon and Garfunkel or The Beatles she breathed life into it and made it something truly extraordinary.

She will always bring pleasure to my life and along with Otis Redding will always be one of the two greatest ever singers she was effortless and incredible. R.I.P.

+1

"I say a little prayer"  has always held a particular place in my heart, along with the lady with whom I associate this song (the mother of my children).

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by DrMark

I saw a piece on the making of the movie Blues Brothers - apparently, when movies are made, the entire soundtrack is completely redone in most cases. When it came time for Aretha's singing in the diner to be re-tracked, they had a devil of a time doing the synch, because they found out she never sings anything the same exact way twice...a true artist.