R&B Thread

Posted by: tdh10 on 17 August 2018

Very brief and reductive overview of the genre:

R&B, one of the oldest forms of American recorded music, was born out of a need for "record companies to describe recordings marketed predominantly to urban African Americans, at a time when "urbane, rocking jazz based music with a heavy, insistent beat" was becoming more popular". It has since been married to every popular genre since, and is the basis for much of what we recognize as pop music today. Contemporary R&B has roots in both motown and disco, as well as hip hop, jazz, and electronic music.

After a relatively fallow period in which R&B was not afforded the same kind of critical prestige that it deserved in the 00's, R&B has experienced a resurgence among independently minded musicians and listeners in the 2010s, particularly as artists such as Frank Ocean, The Weeknd, Miguel and Jeremih released watermark pieces of work that forced many to reconsider their opinion on the genre.

Modern R&B (Post 2010)
The Weeknd - Trilogy
Frank Ocean - Nostalgia, Ultra. / channel ORANGE
Miguel - Art Dealer Chic EPs/Kaleidoscope Dream/Wildheart
Jeremih - Late Nights (Mixtape)/Late Nights The Album
Jazmine Sullivan - Reality Show
Kehlani - You Should Be here
Dawn Richard - BlackHeart/Armor On EP
Diddy Dirty Money - Last Train To Paris
FKA Twigs - EP1/EP2/LP1/EP3
Beyonce - 4/Beyonce
Cool Uncle - Cool Uncle
Jessie Ware - Devotion/Tough Love
Kelela - Cut 4 Me/ Hallucinogen EP
Tinashe - Aquarius/Amethyst EP
Ty Dolla $ign - Beach House EP/Free T.C.
Anderson.Paak - Malibu
KING - We Are King
D'angelo - Black Messiah
Erykah Badu - U Cain't Use My Phone/New Amerykah Part Two: Return of the Ankh
Ciara - Ciara
Nao - February 15 EP
The Internet - Ego Death
How To Dress Well
Autre Ne Veut
Rhye
Jhene Aiko
Omarion
The-Dream - Love King/1977/IV Play
Jai Paul
James Blake
Janelle Monae
Janet Jackson - Unbreakable
Jessy Lanza - Pull My Hair Back

Posted on: 17 August 2018 by TOBYJUG

The Internet are awesome.

Posted on: 17 August 2018 by French Rooster

apart Erykah Badu and Liv Warfield,  i have difficulties to interest myself in modern R&B.   The Temptations, Wilson Pickett, Isaac Hayes, Aretha, James, ....are difficult to replace, for me of course.

Posted on: 17 August 2018 by ChrisSU

Not really a Home Theatre subject! Maybe Richard will move it to the Music Room?

Posted on: 17 August 2018 by tdh10

It's amazing! I enjoyed it

Posted on: 17 August 2018 by French Rooster

modern soul or modern soup ?

Posted on: 18 August 2018 by blythe

I love the good old rock 'n' roll type of R&B.
In general, I cannot bare the modern "R&B" with incessant wailing women and men, signing 500 notes when one really would do just fine.
If it comes on the radio, I turn it off I dislike it so much.

Posted on: 18 August 2018 by French Rooster
blythe posted:

I love the good old rock 'n' roll type of R&B.
In general, I cannot bare the modern "R&B" with incessant wailing women and men, signing 500 notes when one really would do just fine.
If it comes on the radio, I turn it off I dislike it so much.

yes, they are singing always the same, with forceful voice or creamy, and “elevator music “surround.

I am more on debut 70’s soul/ funk, late 60’s, like Isaac Hayes, The Temptations, Wilson Pickett, Aretha....

But some modern, rare, can be good too, like Erykah Badu, Etta James, Mavis Staples....