Mu-So Optical Cable Input - Loose?

Posted by: Bazza on 18 August 2018

I’ve plugged two different optical cables into the optical port of my Mu-So and found the connection to be quite loose. There is no positive click when the cable is plugged in and the slightest of tugs will disconnect the cable from the port. 

Sound is coming through but I feel that the connection should feel more secure. 

Have other Mu-So owners experienced similar?

My current cable is a Monster fibre optic. 

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Richard Dane

It's a common issue with Toslink.  If you have a whole bunch of different Toslink cables and connectors, you'll find some "fit" better than others - the tolerance is pretty wide. Even when connected there's usually movement between plug and socket. Other optical connectors like AT&T are much better here but Toslink became the industry standard - probably, like RCA phono,  because it was so cheap.

It may be that the particular socket on your Mu-So is at one end of a fairly wide tolerance but better that the plugs fit than the other way around, which has happened to me before with other kit and some "fancy" Toslink cables.

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Mike-B

I changed my TV to NDX Toslink & found the NDX end did not have the positive click of the one it replaced.   The TV has a 90 degree adaptor & that has a very positive click into the TV & I also tested it's location click into the NDX,  again a positive click.  So in my case its the Toslink 'cable' ends that are the variable.

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Bazza

Thanks for your replies. I'm relieved that it isn't uncommon as I wondered whether my Mu-So was faulty.

I'll try another cable. I bought the Monster from John Lewis which was £20 more expensive than their own brand and believing Monster is a reputable and good quality cable manufacturer I opted for this.

However, I'm quite lost on the cable argument with many saying that a cheap cable is often no better than a much more expensive one. Maybe my ears just can't tell the difference.

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Mike-B
Bazza posted:

Thanks for your replies. I'm relieved that it isn't uncommon as I wondered whether my Mu-So was faulty.

I'll try another cable. I bought the Monster from John Lewis which was £20 more expensive than their own brand and believing Monster is a reputable and good quality cable manufacturer I opted for this.

However, I'm quite lost on the cable argument with many saying that a cheap cable is often no better than a much more expensive one. Maybe my ears just can't tell the difference.

I'm with you on that one.   I've come to the conclusion that with the limitations of the Toslink system the quality of optical 'cable' is neither here nor there.   An A/V fanatic mate let me try one of his QED's that he said was the best available, I needed 5m & that would have cost £50+.   I tried very hard but could not hear any difference between it & my old (damaged) cable.

I ended up buying deleyCON from the big river,  less than £10,   I selected it because it looked well made (in the picture) plus I needed a Toslink cable end that was slim to make a tight install easier.   

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Bazza

I'm thinking "Big River" I've never heard of them. Then the light bulb came on

Just ordered one, I'll update once installed.

Thanks

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by ChrisSU

In addition to loose fitting plug/socket connections, I find the cable itself can cause problems. I have a Flashback Toslink, which is fine, and fits pretty well, but the cable is stiff, the NACA5 of Toslink cables, as it were. It's glass fibre, rather than the cheaper plastic POF version, which probably doesn't help. It sticks out and loads the connection badly - the right angled adapters that Mike mentions can help with this.