Obtain new CD before official release date

Posted by: Calum Ferguson on 18 August 2018

There’s a CD coming out with official release date of 7th September but I would like to get my hands on it a few days earlier. Anyone out there in the industry know if this is possible? Thanks 

Posted on: 18 August 2018 by Bart

Legally? Not likely.  Many do show up on pirate bittorrent sites a bit early however.

Posted on: 18 August 2018 by Richard Morris

Lontano might be able to help. See 'what are you listening to thread', p424

Posted on: 18 August 2018 by Lontano

Guess it depends what you are trying to obtain as to how possible it is. The album I listed before release date I was given a pre release copy so all about contacts. Often record companies give out press copies for reviews. Or have a good long term relationship with a record shop owner who can sell it to you when it arrives in the store before release. 

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Bob the Builder
Calum Ferguson posted:

There’s a CD coming out with official release date of 7th September but I would like to get my hands on it a few days earlier. Anyone out there in the industry know if this is possible? Thanks 

Which CD????????

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Mike Hughes

Why? What could be so time critical?

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Calum Ferguson

It’s the Led Zeppelin “The Song Remains The Same” re-issue I mentioned in the other post. I don’t want to say why I want early but suffice to to say it is entirely above board, not selling on etc. 

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Innocent Bystander

You need to befriend someone in the industry, e.g. the record label. When Abbey Road was released my best friend at school’s brother worked for EMI, and he got an early copy - without sleeve, with a white label, and with the working album title ‘Get Back’. 

When I ran a rock disco back in the 1980s, I wrote to record companies saying what I was doing, and some sent me pre-release records, a few weeks before release IIRC, again some were white label. (most not of interest, but a few were).

you could do worse than to contact te record company and explain your reason - you never know, if it strikes a chord (pun not intended!) with someone they might be persuaded.

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Kevin-W
Calum Ferguson posted:

. I don’t want to say why I want early but suffice to to say it is entirely above board, not selling on etc. 

I MIGHT be able to help you but without a credible reason why you want this 'a few days early' there's not a lot I can do.

Kevin-W posted:
Calum Ferguson posted:

. I don’t want to say why I want early but suffice to to say it is entirely above board, not selling on etc. 

I MIGHT be able to help you but without a credible reason why you want this 'a few days early' there's not a lot I can do.

The kids are at the grandparents with er’ indoors so I have the nights of 3/4/5/6 September free to spin late into the night and early hours without Exocets heading my way and if any album should be played late and loud it is The Song Remains The Same, that’s it, I am prepared for any wise cracks, feel free people 

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Innocent Bystander

In my view a lot of music is very enjoyable played loud, and “should” be at least from time to time.  Not sure why late?

Innocent Bystander posted:

In my view a lot of music is very enjoyable played loud, and “should” be at least from time to time.  Not sure why late?

Because I’ve other things to do during the day and some music just seems better played after dark 

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Kevin-W
Calum Ferguson posted:

The kids are at the grandparents with er’ indoors so I have the nights of 3/4/5/6 September free to spin late into the night and early hours without Exocets heading my way and if any album should be played late and loud it is The Song Remains The Same, that’s it, I am prepared for any wise cracks, feel free people 

I'm not sure I will be able to persuade the Warners press office to give/loan out a copy the album to someone because of a quirk in your domestic arrangements. I thought you wanted to review it for a blog or mag or something...

Why not just buy a copy of the '07 or '76? Then you can play it loud to your heart's content...

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by French Rooster

Mam, i want this cd before everyone!  

French Rooster posted:

Cobblers, I’m not trying to get it before anyone else 

Kevin-W posted:
Calum Ferguson posted:

I'm not sure I will be able to persuade the Warners press office to give/loan out a copy the album to someone because of a quirk in your domestic arrangements. I thought you wanted to review it for a blog or mag or something...

Why not just buy a copy of the '07 or '76? Then you can play it loud to your heart's content...

That’s what I meant by entirely above board, no commercial/publicity use etc. no worries, not the end of the world 

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Sloop John B
French Rooster posted:

I’m lucky to have a dedicated listening room that I can listen at volume if I wish, but I remember well one evening 20 odd years ago when I was left at home without my wife and  3 under 5’s and the absolute pleasure I obtained from listening at a decent volume for about 2 hours. I can still remember the albums, Shelly Manne Vol 1 at the Black Hawk and Zion Train - Natural wonders of the world in dub. 

.sjb