Boar Taint

Posted by: TOBYJUG on 19 August 2018

Like many others I love a good porking.    Due to recent events it's now considered not right to castrate young male pigs.    Which has resulted in many supermarket pork products having a strong taste and smell of boar taint.  The local butchers near me only uses female pigs.    These have a natural sweet porky flavour, where as those hormoned up male pigs carry a sour bitter perfumed porkiness that's just not nice for my taste. Any other pork lovers noticed this ?

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by JRHardee

For those of us not in the know, the "recent events" are at least as interesting as the specter of boar taint. What happened?

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by TOBYJUG
JRHardee posted:

For those of us not in the know, the "recent events" are at least as interesting as the specter of boar taint. What happened?

http://boars2018.com/background/what-is-boar-taint/

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by Huge

If you understand what skatole is then you'll realise why boar taint is particularly a marker for poor hygiene.

I'm one of the people who react to androstenone as an acrid urine like 'male' smell.

Posted on: 01 September 2018 by mudwolf

A friend's father hunted venison in northern CA, his mother couldn't get the musky taste out so he gave the ground meat to an event for hamburgers. My friend said he watched most people drop the meat in a barrel or kick it into the shrubs.  Lesson was you don't shoot a male deer in breeding season.