John McCain - RIP

Posted by: Frank Yang on 26 August 2018

Posted on: 26 August 2018 by Christopher_M

The phrase that caught my ear on the radio news here in the UK this morning was, 'the greatest President the US never had'.

RIP

Posted on: 26 August 2018 by JRHardee

A great president? When McCain lost, Obama was stuck with a Republican congress which set out explicitly to make him a failure. If McCain had won, we would have had eight years of the same right-wing legislating that we are enjoying now, only eight years earlier. And Sarah Fricking Palin would have been a heartbeat away from the presidency.

Posted on: 26 August 2018 by seakayaker

Sadness in my heart to hear of his passing, did not agree with all his views but always admired his character and being a straight shooter.

The one piece of news that did lift me up was hearing that there was already a memorial service held in Hanoi next to the lake where he was captured after being shot down during the war. They wanted to honor & remember the man who had done so much to establish a relationship between the US and Vietnam. Adversaries to friends, a lesson for all of us.

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by imperialline

Another memorable outburst from McCain when one of his opponents questioned McCain's ties to his newly adopted home state.

"Listen, pal, I spent 22 years in the Navy," he said. "My grandfather was in the Navy. We in the military service tend to move a lot. We have to live in all parts of the country, all parts of the world. I wish I could have had the luxury, like you, of growing up and living and spending my entire life in a nice place like the first district of Arizona, but I was doing other things. As a matter of fact, when I think about it now, the place I lived longest in my life was Hanoi."

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by thebigfredc
imperialline posted:

Another memorable outburst from McCain when one of his opponents questioned McCain's ties to his newly adopted home state.

"Listen, pal, I spent 22 years in the Navy," he said. "My grandfather was in the Navy. We in the military service tend to move a lot. We have to live in all parts of the country, all parts of the world. I wish I could have had the luxury, like you, of growing up and living and spending my entire life in a nice place like the first district of Arizona, but I was doing other things. As a matter of fact, when I think about it now, the place I lived longest in my life was Hanoi."

A brilliant retort.

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by MDS

A jounalist in my newspaper today suggested that with the many concerns about the character qualities of the present incumbent of the White House, McCain was a reminder that the USA can still produce great leaders. 

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by Frank Yang

The present guy represents the most ugly, hideous side of the US and the Americans. Luckily, there are still some good men, and some hope.

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by Skip

RIP.

Giant of a man.

Not my favorite.