Synergistic Research Plug Fuse

Posted by: Obsydian on 27 August 2018

I recently added the aforementioned fuse to my Wireworld 6 way distribution, after adding a number of Belden mains cables, note the Wireworld feeds only my Router, Switch, Fibre Bridge, TV and Sky box, the Nova is sited away and is powered off another mains outlet.

This is the reason I posted this on the Streaming thread.

The SR Blue Fuse has had me overwhelmed for quite a few days now, is has an steady break in, but to me the best way to describe the improvement is like major amp upgrade.

Again bear in mind the Fuse is not directly near my Nova, only the Ethernet is the link.

I have had to drop my usual listening volume by some margin, as the sound is so wide, the bass has gone an octave or few further, but very taut, tuneful bass, just so much more.

The level of detail is quite shocking, but to be honest overwhelming after a while, initially is wasn't so bright, yesterday it's was just information overload, today much more fluid.

My main point here is a very simple change not directly to the Naim gear, is bringing substantial improvements.

The fuse is apparently on 30 day return policy, so nothing to loose, just hoping the break in ups and downs smooth out, I've heard from the person who recommend it to me, it just keeps getting better, if that's the case for yes a shocking price for a fuse, this is an amazing upgrade, that's IF it settles.

Either way the fuse will stay as the improvement it has brought to my TV is amazing.

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Finkfan

I use Blacks to great effect in my mains plugs. Would be interested in hearing the Blues. 

What was the improvement to the TV? 

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Obsydian
Finkfan posted:

I use Blacks to great effect in my mains plugs. Would be interested in hearing the Blues. 

What was the improvement to the TV? 

Phew thanks buddy I was expecting the two men (in white coats first - forum members).

The person who recommend I try, went red, black to blue, his advise was just go Blue but be prepared to be shocked. He said the Blue from cold significantly bettered the Black and over the weeks the Black was long forgotten.

Do you use your directly on Naim plugs, I am actually quite frightened what it may do.

I did speaker to SR, they did comment the fuse on the Poweblock is a good value option as everything on the block benefits, but where quick to add on a source it's a game changer.

On the TV, I have a high Samsung and the picture especially Netflix HDR is amazing, but adding the fuse to the Power block, has made the picture more vibrant and motion allot smoother. Almost feel like turning down the colour.

My concern though, is this all short term wow, that will become tiresome.

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Finkfan

I have a Black in my amp plug. No wow moment when I fitted it (I wasn’t expecting one either). But there are subtle improvements in detail and the bass is a touch deeper. 

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Japtimscarlet

Did you have to mess about with directionally?

Web site says it's important

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Obsydian
Japtimscarlet posted:

Did you have to mess about with directionally?

Web site says it's important

Yes it is clearly marked and instructions provided.

Posted on: 27 August 2018 by Alley Cat
Obsydian posted:
On the TV, I have a high Samsung and the picture especially Netflix HDR is amazing, but adding the fuse to the Power block, has made the picture more vibrant and motion a lot smoother. Almost feel like turning down the colour.

Motion? That I find very hard to believe as that is surely down to the Samsung's frame to frame processing of the video source?

I'm actually amazed you're spending £130 on a fuse, but the more you think about it, if the electricity is passing through a fuse it could well be rate limiting quality in the power cable.

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by Obsydian

I would normally say &%^&%(& but trust the person who said give it a go, worst that can happen you dislike and return it for a full refund.

Motion blurring on fasst moving scenes, the normal method is tune down TV settings, that has limited benefit.

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by TOBYJUG

If you put a blue on your Nova will it make it a SuperNova ?

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by Huge
TOBYJUG posted:

If you put a blue on your Nova will it make it a SuperNova ?

Do we all have to evacuate this region of the galaxy to escape the radiation burst?

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by Obsydian

I tend to have always kept Naim gear stock and a bit unsure about the fuse, as yesterday it pretty much lost any real attack and top end dynamics, sounded very detailed but dull.

I'll give it another week to see if it just the fabled roller coaster burn in (although i was told the Blue had a lesser burn in)

Posted on: 29 August 2018 by TallGuy

Interested to know - as this is a fuse there’s always a chance it will blow (which is its job if something goes “wrong”) do you have to budget for two (live + spare), which means you actually spend £260,  or just cross your fingers and hope ?

Posted on: 29 August 2018 by Finkfan

The internal fuse rating of Naim gear etc is much much lower. The 13a fuse is there to protect the lead. All being well, the fuse is good for life. 

Posted on: 29 August 2018 by TOBYJUG

Thinking I might take a pop on those AMR gold 13a fuses. Three for £45 to replace those in my Nordost, which I believe uses basic Furutech.

http://www.analogueseduction.net/user/products/1332951464_Fuses_1_w450_h400.gif

Finkfan posted:

The internal fuse rating of Naim gear etc is much much lower. The 13a fuse is there to protect the lead. All being well, the fuse is good for life. 

That’s true, bu Obsydian said he’d put it in the downlead for his powerblock, which has a much higher chance of failure, hence wondering whether a spare should be budgeted for. With such a perceived difference I’m sure it would be difficult to drop back to a standard fuse. 

Has anyone, ever, done a comparison test of fuses, both esoteric and standard, with the test also including testing the blowout function (I.e. it should !)

I remember many years ago a UK magazine referring to a 13A plug evaluation, but not fuses. This was many years ago, before “audiophile plugs” were available (MK Safety Plug, followed by Tough Plug were top 2 - can’t remember the rest. Since then Tough Plug has changed design so may not score as highly).

Posted on: 29 August 2018 by Obsydian
TallGuy posted:
Finkfan posted:

That’s true, bu Obsydian said he’d put it in the downlead for his powerblock, which has a much higher chance of failure, hence wondering whether a spare should be budgeted for. With such a perceived difference I’m sure it would be difficult to drop back to a standard fuse. 

Has anyone, ever, done a comparison test of fuses, both esoteric and standard, with the test also including testing the blowout function (I.e. it should !)

I remember many years ago a UK magazine referring to a 13A plug evaluation, but not fuses. This was many years ago, before “audiophile plugs” were available (MK Safety Plug, followed by Tough Plug were top 2 - can’t remember the rest. Since then Tough Plug has changed design so may not score as highly).

Correct purely for my powerblock which does not feed the Naim equipment.

I did consult SR, who did not raise any reliability concerns, quickly quoting the CE and other testing.

I wasn’t suggesting there was anything wrong, just wondering aloud whether people bought two in case of one having to blow to protect the cable. Pretty sure I’d be buying two... a fuse’s job is to blow in overload conditions and it only takes someone in the household to plug in a high draw device and bang - expensive fuse blown.

the second bit wasn’t related specifically - I remember a plug listening test (probably in the  early 80s) and wondered if anyone had tried a fuse comparison from the esoteric down to the lowest cost ones (though having seen several consumer TV shows about pound-type shop fake fuses I’d be looking at known brands only)

Posted on: 30 August 2018 by Obsydian

So I decided to firstly remove the Belden with SR Blue feeding my 6 way Wireworld (feeding only Router, Switch, Fibre Bridge, TV, Satellite), replacing it with a Naim power cable.

Felt like no a major drop, but bass boomy again, soundstage compressed and music lost boogie factor.

I then used the Belden with SR Blue with the Nova, it all seemed odd, was hard to adjust to, just did not sound right, yes more detail, bass was odd, but soundstage was more vivid.

Lastly, back to the original setup, Belden SR Blue powering the 6 way Wireworld (feeding only Router, Switch, Fibre Bridge, TV, Satellite), back was the extra octave or so off bass (layered now), wide open soundstage and boogie.

To be fair the SR Blue is still off from the first few days, I'm still hoping for some magic break in phase. 

But for me it reconfirms the sensitivity of the streaming input (Router, Switch) now I am wondering if a second SR Blue in the Nova will add more ...

SR said the feeding a multi way meant it all gets the benefit, but a fuse for the source is the best way and 3 weeks for a full break in.

Posted on: 30 August 2018 by garyi

All these faux amp upgrades Obsydian you must have surpassed the statement by now, well done!

Yawn.

Posted on: 30 August 2018 by TOBYJUG

"Obsydian"  your doing a sterling job. Very interested in your activities...

TOBYJUG posted:

"Obsydian"  your doing a sterling job. Very interested in your activities...

Thanks, will update soon as plan to order an SR Blue for the Nova plug, spent another 5 hrs listening today circling back to a few familiar tracks in amongst new tracks, just seems to be breaking in and peeling away a tiny bit of detail each time.

Posted on: 31 August 2018 by Obsydian

Working from home and allot more listening, just managed to source a 13A SR Blue from a local dealer, on my way to collect.

Will be very interesting...

Posted on: 31 August 2018 by Obsydian

So 2nd SR Blue fuse installed this time into the Nova plug.

Result very subtle at first, but as you listen more you appreciate the bass, dynamic and soundstage (airiness).

Again the bass has peeled another layer away (subtle but a bit loose) and background detail breaks through clearly.

Aside from the supposed 3 week burn in will be interesting, but at the moment I would so the SR Blue to the Router/Switch was far greater than the impact on the Nova.

That said let’s talk context, yes £250 for an upgrade that to me is easily comparable to an amp upgrade, more grip, control, authority and detail.

For me neither have being jaw dropping experiences, just they bring more order and control.

Critically for me the SR Blue hasn’t changed the Nova signature, just brought authority and order.

I recall 15yrs ago I went Hydra into an active system, even back then there were a few niche fuses, but I went 15A round pin no fuse, maybe that’s a better solution.

Posted on: 31 August 2018 by No quarter

I use a synergistic research wall outlet in my system,very happy with it,I live in Canada,so we do not have fuses in our power cords.I actually have five of their outlets,they were used in my home theatre at my old house.I also use Furutech carbon fiber outlet covers with them.For one,the power cords make a much stiffer,or solid connection with the SR outlets...which must be a good thing.I am not going to claim a night and day difference in sound over standard outlets,but things do sound more vibrant,including my plasma TV picture, which is plugged into one.

Posted on: 31 August 2018 by Bart
No quarter posted:

things do sound more vibrant,including my plasma TV picture, which is plugged into one.

If I can get my tv picture to sound more vibrant . . . sign me up.