Brexit and DIN Plugs

Posted by: Ghettoyout on 28 August 2018

In the event of a hard Brexit, will Naim still be able to use DIN plugs? I think we should be told. I'm sure it's a hot topic and right up there with the Irish border question with the negotiators.

As I'm sure we all know DIN is an acronym for Deutsche Industrie-Norm and is a series of technical standards originating in Germany and used internationally especially to designate electrical connections. Just imagine if in March 2019 Naim were not allowed to use them. I do not recall this topic being discussed in the debates at the time. It somehow got missed.

I know a lot of the Naim users on here are quite elderly and, as a generalisation, it was the elderly who voted for Brexit (and probably celebrated with some of their ridiculous prog rock records). I'm not sure they thought it through.

Anyway, some food for thought.

Best etc.,

Ghetto Yout' (aged 56).

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by yeti42

Pretty sure we used DIN plugs in the UK before we joined the EEC. Still any excuse to stay in will do me.

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by ChrisSU

The next thing will be Trump charging massive tariffs for using RCAs.

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by Mike-B

And the French are bound to demand a tariff over & above the WTO rates on the IEC power plugs in retaliation for us not sharing the English Channel (La Manche) scallops 

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by hungryhalibut

I understand that Government will cover Din plugs in one of its impact papers. A friend in Whitehall suggested to me that they will be kept, as Din connections are required for charging the Maybot. 

Posted on: 29 August 2018 by AndyP19
yeti42 posted:

Pretty sure we used DIN plugs in the UK before we joined the EEC. Still any excuse to stay in will do me.

My early 1970's Wien portable cassette player had a 'Deutsches Institut fur Normung' pin-buchse.

With a bunch of AGFA C60's queue Radio 1 Top 20 with Tom Browne and it's KC and the Sunshine Band...................!  

Posted on: 29 August 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk
yeti42 posted:

Absolutely, my 1957  Philips reel to reel tape recorder uses DIN... or at least looks the same as DIN

Posted on: 29 August 2018 by Don Atkinson

Well, if a Hard Brexit means we are no longer entitled to use DIN plugs (without some outrageous licence fee) and the POTUS irrationally slaps a protection fee on the use of RCA connections, we might have to revert to BNCs........

.......now where have I seen those before ?

Posted on: 29 August 2018 by Ravenswood10

Banana plugs must be safe surely - especially the Fairtrade ones?

I wonder if my Focals will need a work permit?

Posted on: 30 August 2018 by Ardbeg10y

Naim can finally position the power plug at the wrong side of the amp after brexit.