UEFA Nations League

Posted by: wenger2015 on 03 September 2018

I notice the UEFA Nations league starts this week.

I have no idea how it is supposed to work, what the point of it is???

Their seems to be very little media attention or have I just missed it?

Posted on: 03 September 2018 by MDS

I'm not sure of the details, but I think it is going to be used to determine rankings for the draw for the qualifying groups for the Euros in 2020. 

Posted on: 03 September 2018 by Eoink
MDS posted:

I'm not sure of the details, but I think it is going to be used to determine rankings for the draw for the qualifying groups for the Euros in 2020. 

Reminds me of the old management joke, “I don’t think we should rush straight into the pre-meeting for the meeting, let’s first have a meeting to determine the agenda for the pre-meeting.”

Posted on: 03 September 2018 by wenger2015

So the better you do means you get to play the poorest teams in qualifying???

wenger2015 posted:

Yep.

MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Yep.

That just makes no sense whatsoever....

But it's being going on in international and European club competition for ages.  For example, ahead of last week's draw for the group stages of the Champions league, Liverpool were a bit grumpy to be put in pot 2 rather than pot 1, given they reached last season's final.  All the new EUFA Nations league does is change how the ranking is determined.

Will it not make the qualifying games  a non-event..... ?   at least in Champions league you have at least two top teams in each group....so games are worth watching 

possibly it does remove the need for international friendly games if their is a Nations league instead 

Posted on: 04 September 2018 by sjbabbey
MDS posted:

But it's being going on in international and European club competition for ages.  For example, ahead of last week's draw for the group stages of the Champions league, Liverpool were a bit grumpy to be put in pot 2 rather than pot 1, given they reached last season's final.  All the new EUFA Nations league does is change how the ranking is determined.

Liverpool were actually put in pot 3 whereas Tottenham and Man U were in pot 2. Of course Spurs and Man U finished above Liverpool last season and the rankings also take into account each clubs record in Europe over only the previous 5 seasons.

Posted on: 04 September 2018 by MDS
sjbabbey posted:
MDS posted:

Liverpool were actually put in pot 3 whereas Tottenham and Man U were in pot 2. Of course Spurs and Man U finished above Liverpool last season and the rankings also take into account each clubs record in Europe over only the previous 5 seasons.

Thanks for the correction, sjbabbey. Overstated my pots.  In the event, I didn't think Liverpool's group looked too bad.  

Posted on: 04 September 2018 by Rich 1

Football, could never see the point in it! Sooner listen to me music .

Posted on: 06 September 2018 by wenger2015

Great performance from the Welsh tonight......

Posted on: 08 September 2018 by wenger2015

Unfortunate for the England team, I think on balance they deserved a draw....

certainly much more interesting then just watching a friendly game

Posted on: 15 October 2018 by wenger2015

I am beginning to like the Nations league....

some great games with all teams having that desire to win ...

and a terrific win for England against Spain 

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by Bryce Curdy

It's an opportunity for really rubbishy countries like Scotland to qualify for tournaments they otherwise wouldn't get a sniff at.  And I'm Scottish so I'm allowed to say that.

And while I'm on a rant Liverpool, Spurs and Man U shouldn't have even been in the Champions League.  In case anybody needs an explanation the name of the tournament is a big clue.

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by wenger2015
Bryce Curdy posted:

It's an opportunity for really rubbishy countries like Scotland to qualify for tournaments they otherwise wouldn't get a sniff at.  And I'm Scottish so I'm allowed to say that.

And while I'm on a rant Liverpool, Spurs and Man U shouldn't have even been in the Champions League.  In case anybody needs an explanation the name of the tournament is a big clue.

It’s a shame Scotland parted company with Gordon Strachan, although somewhat underrated he was definitely a passionate manager who seemed to get the best out of the players....... I’ve never been a fan of  the man in charge now.....

As for the Champions league that’s always the way it used to be .... just the champions...

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by Bryce Curdy

He is a much better manager than his replacement.  The start of the WC qualifying was poor, and if he'd been sacked then few would have had much sympathy but he was kept on and nearly turned it around, including England equalising in injury time at Hampden.  To sack him at that point made no sense.

That's the way it should be with the Champions League, or change the bloody name.  My club were the first Northern European side to win the competition but now have to play four qualifying rounds to qualify for the group stages while the team that finishes fourth in the premiership qualifies automatically.  And Leicester City who have no European pedigree at all were seeded  into pot 1 giving them a massive advantage.

Bryce Curdy posted:

He is a much better manager than his replacement.  The start of the WC qualifying was poor, and if he'd been sacked then few would have had much sympathy but he was kept on and nearly turned it around, including England equalising in injury time at Hampden.  To sack him at that point made no sense.

That's the way it should be with the Champions League, or change the bloody name.  My club were the first Northern European side to win the competition but now have to play four qualifying rounds to qualify for the group stages while the team that finishes fourth in the premiership qualifies automatically.  And Leicester City who have no European pedigree at all were seeded  into pot 1 giving them a massive advantage.

The thing is Gordon’s replacement has just lost 6 in a row....and they are playing extremely  poorly .... 

As for the Champions league I quite agree....

I assume you are a Celtic fan?

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by MDS

I'm not a Scot but the erosion of standards in Scottish football seems heavy and enduring.  For very many years the top clubs in England all seemed to have some excellent Scottish players eg Glizean, Mackay, Bremner, Strachan, Dalglish, Souness - the list is almost endless.  I can understand that the riches of the Premier League has attracted top talent from around the World that would have squeezed opportunities for all home nations but I don't think that can be the whole of the explanation for the disappearance of top-class Scottish football talent. 

MDS posted:

I'm not a Scot but the erosion of standards in Scottish football seems heavy and enduring.  For very many years the top clubs in England all seemed to have some excellent Scottish players eg Glizean, Mackay, Bremner, Strachan, Dalglish, Souness - the list is almost endless.  I can understand that the riches of the Premier League has attracted top talent from around the World that would have squeezed opportunities for all home nations but I don't think that can be the whole of the explanation for the disappearance of top-class Scottish football talent. 

All those players  you have mentioned were top class..... I struggle to think of any present day  top class Scottish players??

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by Hook
wenger2015 posted:
MDS posted:

All those players  you have mentioned were top class..... I struggle to think of any present day  top class Scottish players??

Andrew Robertson is very talented.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by wenger2015
Hook posted:
wenger2015 posted:
MDS posted:

Andrew Robertson is very talented.

Unfortunately I have never heard of him....who does he play for?

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Christopher_M
MDS posted:

They didn't have central heating in them days  ;-)

Christopher_M posted:
MDS posted:

They didn't have central heating in them days  ;-)

They did have central heating, it’s just being Scottish they didn’t switch it on 

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Bryce Curdy

I think you'd struggle to name a better English player ever than Kenny Dalglish.

Bryce Curdy posted:

I think you'd struggle to name a better English player ever than Kenny Dalglish.

Kevin keegan ?