Smart TV without Internet?

Posted by: jfritzen on 03 September 2018

Hi,

I'm considering to buy a new TV, an OLED from LG. I have no experience with Smart TVs yet. However, I've read that some Smart TVs were known to spy on their users, and so I would like to block its access to the Internet in the router.

Has anyone done this? Will a Smart TV typically complain incessantly that it can't reach the Internet? Or will it behave, and work as a Dumb TV?

KR

Jochen

Posted on: 03 September 2018 by Finkfan

I have a new’ish’ Samsung tv. It’s not connected to the internet as it has no need to be. I told it I’d use a wired connection. Set it up and then unplugged it from the network. No complaints from the tv and it does work without issues as a ‘dumb tv’. 

Posted on: 04 September 2018 by robgr

You won't be able to use any apps (catch up TV, YouTube etc.) and updating will be a PITA. The issue of spying was Samsung smart TVs which sent unencrypted voice recognition data across internet (now fixed) but the vulnerability was hard to exploit anyway.

Posted on: 04 September 2018 by Mike-B

I've been using my Sony on internet & if someone is really,  that really,  interested in spying on me,  go ahead,  am I bovver'd,  am I paranoid ??    At best it'll be nothing more than tracking your watching habits & maybe suggest some progs that might interest you,  just like all your internet services & apps do.

Posted on: 04 September 2018 by jfritzen
robgr posted:

You won't be able to use any apps (catch up TV, YouTube etc.) and updating will be a PITA.

I would use a dedicated box for streaming, one that I potentially trust more regarding privacy.

Regarding updates: a.) updates are not so essential to me if it's not connected to the Internet anyway (the old Panasonic never got one) and b.) I could open the firewall specifically for that purpose.

Posted on: 04 September 2018 by jfritzen
Finkfan posted:

I have a new’ish’ Samsung tv. It’s not connected to the internet as it has no need to be. I told it I’d use a wired connection. Set it up and then unplugged it from the network. No complaints from the tv and it does work without issues as a ‘dumb tv’. 

OK, sounds as if the Samsung behaves well without Internet.

Posted on: 04 September 2018 by TOBYJUG

I don't have my smart Sony connected with wire to the net, but still seems fabulous streaming from its apps. Must have a great gongle.

Posted on: 06 September 2018 by SFCable
what the model of the tv? try reading the manual?
Posted on: 07 September 2018 by Michael Giggs

I have the same problem with my Spectrum Smart TV. Can anyone help?

Posted on: 07 September 2018 by jfritzen

The LG OLED is here now. So far I couldn't find any negative impact of blocking the TV in the router. Some apps can't be started of course, but that's it. No annoying nudging. And now that my mind is at ease, I'll connect it to the Internet and explore the Smart features.

And what a difference to the 10 year old Panasonic, picturewise.

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by MDS

Hope you're pleased with your LG OLED.  I got one last year and was pretty surprised at the clarity of the picture over my previous Sony and Samsung TVs. 

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by jfritzen

Oh yes, the OLED picture is great and webOS is really easy to use. The TV before was an LCD, and the one before that still a tube. Incredible development in the past 20 years.