Bohemian Rhapsody - brilliant novel interpretation

Posted by: Innocent Bystander on 06 September 2018

Just flagging this up in case anyone has not seen yet: TV advert for a supermarket and department store conglomerate, but when I saw it I was quite stunned and amazed, questions going through my head as it screened included What on earth is this advertising? And HOW long is this ad? 

As a critical piece of music it is nothing, but as a novel interpretation and enjoyable viewing it is brilliant! I thoroughly enjoyed it, as have others I’ve told about it. If only that was the school my kids had gone to!

it’s on uTube, and I hope the link is acceptable 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr8kK3qToVU

Posted on: 06 September 2018 by Happy Listener

It is attention-grabbing and very creative (allowing for the many edits to the song). Like you (IB), I was trying to work out what the message is behind it, on 1st viewing, the 'authorship' (so to speak) only became clear at the end as far as I could see.

Per some press comment I've seen, it appears to be supporting a very subtle re-branding exercise by the retail group (dept. stores and food retail), perhaps aimed at our social consciences in the world of on-line operators (that begin with the letter A?), and the social negativity which surrounds some of these (staffing/tax domains/VAT management et al). Of course, I could be off point by more than a few degrees. 

The timing is also noteworthy given the big-budget Christmas adverts from same over the last few years have gone down in advertising folklore and generated many imitators. What more could be to come...…? 

I find their approach to advertising and promotion interesting as it's all about awareness and brand management. Their ads stick in the mind but, for me, there's nothing in them that encourages me to visit their stores. There again, I have a relative who won't shop anywhere else!

Posted on: 07 September 2018 by Loki

Obvs to me: JL is a partnership. Staff are partners and share profits: they have a vested interest in giving you the best service. The school play (Christmas without Christ) is an allegory of successful teamwork using old school (punny!) methods to provide for a modern audience and suggesting future growth through the use of children in the cast. JLP and Waitrose have outlets in Asgaard.

Posted on: 07 September 2018 by nigelb

What a brilliant ad. Such a lovely thought that kids and teachers could produce such an engrossing and entertaining school play. Wouldn't you be proud if you were a parent.

The message is rather simple to me. Look what is possible if there is an enthusiastic and engaged team behind a project. And I must say if staff do in fact have a real stake in the business they are engaged in (John Lewis & Waitrose where the staff are essentially shareholders) then the customer will notice a difference. And you do if you venture into a JL.

The ad agency responsible has done a great job.