What the hell is that thing on his head?

Posted by: joerand on 11 September 2018

Any guesses 'cuz it ain't natural.

You know who I'm talking about 

Posted on: 11 September 2018 by AndyP19

Yes I know always wondered why Gregory Porter wears that hat, it must get very hot when he’s doing a concert under those lights.

Posted on: 11 September 2018 by Gazza

He had skin surgery and covers it up.

Posted on: 12 September 2018 by AndyP19
Gazza posted:

That makes sense and mystery solved. That’s the great thing about this forum there is always someone who knows the answer.

Posted on: 12 September 2018 by tonym

Thanks for the explanation Gazza. I wondered the same thing. But there is a tendency for musicians to wear the most ridiculous hats, which invariably make them look daft. I've never understood why, must be some fashion aberration.

Posted on: 12 September 2018 by Mercky
tonym posted:

Thanks for the explanation Gazza. I wondered the same thing. But there is a tendency for musicians to wear the most ridiculous hats, which invariably make them look daft. I've never understood why, must be some fashion aberration.

yes, hats along with dark glasses and beards 

Posted on: 12 September 2018 by JRHardee

I was thinking of Donald Trump and that bleached wolverine....

Posted on: 12 September 2018 by TOBYJUG

It's a modified Kangol Summer Spitfire cap.

http://germany.www.udiscovermusic.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2015/05/Gregory-Porter.jpg

Although it seems he's always worn something.

Posted on: 12 September 2018 by thebigfredc

I think he manages to pull it off (the trick of looking cool in the hat not actually pulling the hat off although he must do at sometime such as showering, sleeping, fornacating).

Posted on: 12 September 2018 by joerand
JRHardee posted:

I was thinking of Donald Trump and that bleached wolverine....

Bingo! I heard it was the gopher from Caddyshack.

Posted on: 13 September 2018 by Eloise
Gazza posted:

(As I understood it) he did have surgery (or something else medical) and needed the covering for a while (several years even), but he’s actually now healed and it’s just become a kind of trademark.