Marketing Test... ????????

Posted by: Peder on 16 September 2018

? JOHN PLAYER SPECIAL ?

This is a small marketing-test,..to see the impact of advertising.

Is this above something that you recognize,..And if you do,please describe in what context you may have seen this.

And any person linked to the name above.

Good luck.....
/Peder ????

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by TK421

I had a Scalextric JPS Lotus racing car for my birthday in the late 1970's.

Those were the days!

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by Mike-B

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by Peder

???? TK421,...This I had completely forgotten, had also Scalextric....fun.
But that's not what I was referring to,..this Scalextric was a "spin off" of what I am seeking answers to in my first post.

Now more than 32 have looked in the thread, but no one has yet come up with the answer,..I think a guy here "puts this",get to see if I have right ????.

/Peder???? 

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by u77033103172058601

JPS to me meant a very cool looking black pack of cigarettes. The lettering was gold-coloured.

Shame that the cigarettes were so very very dull. They would have been better with e black paper and gold-coloured filters as per Sobranie cigarettes.

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by Kevin-W

My dad smoked JPS in the 1970s. He used to keep a drum like the one pictured above (but bigger - I think it held about 250) on top of the telly, so so he always had a fag handy. Which was handy for me and my brother too, as it meant we could nick a few without him noticing.

You have together remembered what "John Player Special" was,..And in what context one most saw the name.

But..Last question "And any person linked to the name above", you have not responded to.

???? MIKE-B,...was the one I thought would put this at once ????.

? I think of a special famous person.

/Peder ????

Peder, I give up it is Sunday after all.

Did Rega make a special John Player edition turntable in 1980? 

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by u77033103172058601

The JPS car was Lotus based, therefore I can only think of Colin Chapman? 

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by Matty.s

Joao Gomes da Costa

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by naim_nymph

In the early 80s i briefly considered buying a Ford Capri JPS, styled in black with gold pin striping JPS livery.

The car was carefully checked over by a knowledgeable Capri owning friend but he soon found a few [post accident repair] reasons for us to walk away. Besides, being a non-smoker it would never have felt right driving around in a 4 wheeled fag packet, so didn't feel disappointed.

The image below is not the one we looked at ; )

Peder posted:

???? MIKE-B,...was the one I thought would put this at once ????.

? I think of a special famous person.

Nah,  you've lost me Peder,  the Lotus F1 car was the only thing that stirs my juices.  The F1 team sponsor - where the name comes from - I treat with contempt,  the aftershave seemed to attract the rough end of the opposite sex,  the whiskey was only good for stripping paint.

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by Christopher_M
Mike-B posted:

Emerson Fittipaldi?

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by osprey

If it is not Colin Chapman it has to be Ayrton Senna

or are you after Ronnie? 40 years is a long time …

Christopher_M posted:
Mike-B posted:

Emerson Fittipaldi?

No,  Fittipaldi left Lotus to join McLaren in 1974.   The Lotus 76 (in pic) is driven by Jackie Ickx. 

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by Don Atkinson
Peder posted:

???? TK421,...This I had completely forgotten, had also Scalextric....fun.
But that's not what I was referring to,..this Scalextric was a "spin off" of what I am seeking answers to in my first post.

Now more than 32 have looked in the thread, but no one has yet come up with the answer,..I think a guy here "puts this",get to see if I have right ????.

/Peder???? 

Peder,

you were researching the power of advertising. Clearly the “John player special” name as written by you means different things to different people. There are no right or wrong answers. Just your answer and quite a few others.

what does this tell you ?

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by osprey

For every Swede it should tell

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/11/27/1520A05D000005DC-2852260-image-27_1417127688007.jpg

..Oh hang on,   That was Embassy.  (Which were miles better anyway  

???? OSPREY,..You Nailed It.!!  Congratulations ????????

The name that was so strongly associated with JPS was RONNIE PETERSON,..Formula 1-driver.

I saw this below on Swedish TV today,then I got the Ide to this thread.
This was as you write 40 years ago,but there is probably no Swedish over 45 years who do not know who Ronnie Peterson was,..and what JPS = John Player Special was.

So the power of advertising is great,..Bigger than you think.!
----------------------------------------------------------------????SUPERSWEDE: A film about Ronnie Peterson.

Ronnie Peterson is Sweden's most successful Formula 1-driver of all time.

The Swedish racing legend Ronnie Petersons life ended with a violent crash on Monza on 11 September 1978,which shocked an entire world.

Together with Ronnies daughter Nina Kennedy, and some of the biggest names in the world of racing,an era was portrayed as the sport was lined with glamour,.folly,.heroism,.big business and powers that over a decade drove more than twelve drivers in death.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Yes there were many famous Formula 1-drivers who died in this decade,..Ronnie Peterson was just one in the line.

Fun with a little different exercise one Sunday afternoon.

Thanks everyone who was with,though I thought as I said,that Mike-B would put this ????.

/Peder ????

Well I'm claiming that one as I have just remembered my dad telling me that the chap driving my JPS Scalextric car was a Swedish chap called Ronnie.

Honest!

Peder,  you need to go out more.    

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by Pev

Pah - too many wheels on this thread - the definitive association for JPS is the Norton motorcycle.steve-spray-at-mallory-park-712x570fuelfed-norton-jps

???? PEV,....Now we're talking,..Agree with.!!

/Peder???? 

???? MIKE-B,..Talking we today,you have right???? 

We are some who have tested headphone-amplifiers,usb-dac's and headphones..usb and ehternet-cables etc today,even though the sun is shining outside.

So while the others are listening,..I must have something to do ????.

Are JPS still in business,..or are they away from the market.?

You've written a lot of long posts in the Formula 1 thread,..so therefore I was convinced you would put this.

/Peder ????

???? OSPREY wrote,...It has to be Ayrton Senna.

Ayrton Senna had an advertising collaboration with Tina Turner,..Ayrton Senna was promised to use Tina's song "Simply The Best" in a 6 minute video about his Formula 1 season.

In addition,..Ayrton Senna was on the scene at some of Tina's concerts.
I found that video with Ayrton....see below..????????

???? https://www.youtube.com/watch?...BPABtrxE&sns=sms

/Peder???? 

Peder posted:

???? MIKE-B,..Talking we today,you have right???? 

We are some who have tested headphone-amplifiers,usb-dac's and headphones..usb and ehternet-cables etc today,even though the sun is shining outside.

So while the others are listening,..I must have something to do ????.

Are JPS still in business,..or are they away from the market.?

You've written a lot of long posts in the Formula 1 thread,..so therefore I was convinced you would put this.

/Peder ????

Hej Peder,  OK your plan was something lighthearted outside of the usual audio subjects afternoon,  which I didn't need because we had an F1 race in Singapore to watch.   Problem is for me the John Player Special is Team Lotus racing cars,  the company was founded by a genius called Colin Chapman & was one of the leading racing car teams in the 1960/70's.  Colin died suddenly in 1982 after which Lotus race cars lost its direction.     

Colin Chapman's Lotus morphed into various forms;   they are still in business designing & manufacturing sport & competition cars at their HQ near Norwich, UK.   But the last time the Lotus name was on a race car was between 2012-15 when the name was used for the renamed Renault F1 team,  but apart from the name there was no Lotus as such.

Any connection with what might excite en svensk person about JPS & Lotus does not come to my mind.  However it seems your thoughts were for Ronnie Peterson,  but with all due respect, Swedish F1 drivers are few & far between & no world champions.  As good & fast as Ronnie was he somehow didn't seem to get the wins,  when he joined Lotus in 1978 he was number two driver to Mario Andretti & although Andretti won the championship that year it was pretty obvious team orders were to support Andretti.  Sadly we will never know what his true potential was.

The John Player Special was a branding scheme Lotus applied to the cars as part of the significant sponsorship investment from John Player & Sons, a tobacco & cigarette manufacturer based in Nottingham, UK.  It was used as a key feature in the marketing of its JPS cigarettes.   The JPS cigarette brand has long disappeared (thank goodness)  & John Player is now part of the Imperial Tobacco Group.