Beatles' White 50th Anniversary, details emerging

Posted by: Kevin-W on 21 September 2018

Rumour is - out 9th November.

4LP set: 2-LP stereo remix of the album by Giles Martin, akin to his treatment of Pepper last year; plus two futher LPs of Esher demos.

3-CD set: as above.

6-CD deluxe set: as above, plus a further three CDs of jams, outtakes, demos etc. 50 or so tracks in all. But 'Carnival of Light' or the 27-minute 'Helter Skelter' aren't included.

But there will a blu-ray with 24/96 stereo AND mono versions of the album, as well as a new 5.1 mix by Martin fils.

Posted on: 21 September 2018 by Kevin-W

For those interested, this is what the cover of the 4-LP box will look like (taken from the River in Japan). I believe the CD set will follow the same format.

This is what the 6 X CD/1 x BRD will look like:

Posted on: 21 September 2018 by Richard Dane

Oh boy...

Kevin, any pricing indications yet in amongst those rumours?

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Premmyboy

I am going to have to get this probably the Lp version.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Kevin-W
Richard Dane posted:

Oh boy...

Kevin, any pricing indications yet in amongst those rumours?

Not yet Richard, but going by the Pepper reissues of last year, I reckon £50 or so for the LPs, £30ish for the CDs and £100 for the super deluxe...

Apparently there's a version of 'Let It Be' on the big set, which is previously undocumented. It seems it was written, rehearsed and taped during the WA sessions but not properly recorded by the band until the following year...

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Nick Lees

Given the stunning level of sound on the Giles Pepper set, I'm in. To what depth, we'll see, as it doesn't have quite the magic for me as Pepper.

What I'd give for him to jump back a couple of years and do a number on Revolver...

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Chris_T

As impressive as Giles Pepper set was, I think it's a shame that everything is so "in your face" regarding the mix. It seems so typical of the loudness wars problem where the dynamic range is reduced to be almost nothing. I tend to find myself still plying the original with the occasional listen to the new version.

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by fathings cat

This is exciting news.

Gary

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by Kevin-W

[@mention:1566878603942595] - the deluxe box is up on The River - it's £116!   (Hopefully that price will come down)

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by Gazza

Xmas is coming.....buy and help Santa,s elf’s find the right presents????

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Kevin-W

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Chris_T

Dammit, they want more of my money again.

https://www.rollingstone.com/m...first-listen-727928/

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Nick Lees
Kevin-W posted:

[@mention:1566878603942595] - the deluxe box is up on The River - it's £116!   (Hopefully that price will come down)

Or up...to £140. Gulp.

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Richard Dane

It's at £90 for the 4LP vinyl issue.

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by antony d

have it on 180 great album - will have to ask Santa!

if it's anything like the music quality of the remastered St.Pepper we should be in for a treat

just purchased Japan abbey road and they are off the scale - reminds me must post on another page

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by eddy jay

It's on H.M.V. £124.99 for the CD/DVD set 

Check out Pledge Music - much, much cheaper there; only £110 for the super deluxe, for example.

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by eddy jay
Kevin-W posted:

Check out Pledge Music - much, much cheaper there; only £110 for the super deluxe, for example.

Thanks Kevin.

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Owen Davies

Super deluxe ordered!  After my trip to Abbey Road for one of their lectures this year my appetite for all things Beatles is well and truly whetted!

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by David O'Higgins

I suppose it is too much to hope that they will offer the 96/24 as a download from the beginning, instead of forcing people to eithér hack the Blu Ray or wait a year?

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by Sloop John B

I see this is available on all streaming platforms in all its glory. 

So what’s it like?

I’m  holidaying at the moment, hope to get a listen on iPad later today. 

.sjb

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by Mike-B

I see HighResAudio have two version for download,  Super Deluxe 107 track & Deluxe 57 track in 24/96 FLAC.  Disappointing that there is not a download of only the original album tracks.        I bought the Deluxe Sgt Pepper & after a few listens to all the out takes, experiments, foundation tracks & studio chat I decided it was no more interest & not something for a musical listening session.  So I made a copy & stripped out all the extra tracks leaving just the original Sgt Pepper tracks.  So the new White Album, thanks but I'm Out.  

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

Qobuz have the deluxe, which is the album and the Esher demos, for £32 or £16 if you are a Sublime subscriber. I wouldn’t want all the other stuff, but £16 sounds fine for the album. 

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by nickpeacock

I'd really just want the Esher demos on their own...! Ah well.

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by Nick Lees

I've downloaded the Deluxe from Qobuz at £15.99 and given a couple of tracks the onceover compared to the 2009 remaster, which I thought was fine.

Back In The USSR - firstly the remix is quieter, with more bass clarity and weight, and the whole thing sounds more refined. In a good way.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - again less loud, greater bass thwack and the level of transparency in the mix quite wonderful, for example the double tracked vocals at around 3:00 is a hair-raiser. One thing though, the ending section (from about  3:40) they seem to have brought up George's wails in the mix. Faithful or not it adds an extra poignancy to it (and there's a single piano phrase right at the end of the fade-out that's been brought up in the mix). 

So, all good so far and a steal for Qobuz Sublime subscribers. A listen to the whole thing in relaxed mode later...