Chas Hodges RIP

Posted by: Gazza on 22 September 2018

I saw Chas n Dave many times on the London pub scene, and they were a great act. Sad to hear Chas Hodges past away this morning. Although not an act I ever would buy records, they could rock a venue, another one bites the dust????

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Mr Paws

Yes R.I.P. Chas Hodges, Chas n Dave were a great duo and I’m just singing “ain’t no pleasing you” my favourite tune by them. 

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by sjbabbey

I seem to recall he was in “Heads Hands & Feet” back in the early 70’s and seeing them on the BBC’s OGWT.

R.I.P. Chas.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by sjbabbey

And here he is

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Mike-B

A sad loss of something unique,  the music style was so typically London but it seemed that it belonged only to Chas & Dave.    I saw them once in the early years,  & yes they could really get a pub grooving,  but like Gazza sez,  never bought any records.     I must have seen him when he was in Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers, but until today hadn't realised.   

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Clive B

A great pub duo maybe. But I saw them as the first act at Knebworth in 1979 and, even before some 130,000 Led Zeppelin fans, they got the crowd warmed up and rocking.  A real fun act. RIP Chas Hodges.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by blythe

Not my cup of tea but live, they were really great fun - I saw them playing Leeds Uni around 1980.

RIP.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Bob the Builder

A part of my childhood if you grew up in the 70's & 80's then Chas & Dave were a part of your childhood soundtrack but I didn't really appreciate them until I'd grown up and been in a 20 year relationship when those lyrics took on a whole new meaning.

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit rabbit, rabbit , bunny, bunny, yap, yap, you got more rabbit than Sainburys why don't you get it off your chest....................

Brilliant.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Eoink

RIP Chas. Like others here I saw Chas and Dave around the pub scene in the ‘80s, and never bought an album. Live they were a great act, and defined a certain London style, which was probably unique to them. ( Having moved to Yorkshire 10 years ago, I get the feeling my friends here think that’s what my life used to be, cheeky chappies having a singsong around the old Joanna in cockney accents, I haven’t the heart to tell them the truth.) 

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Stevee_S

R.I.P. Chas, fun music that still puts a smile on my face and does try to capture that old London pub scene with the old upright Joanna in the corner and a couple of geezers giving it large complete with fags and ales. 

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Gazza

My Mum and Dad now in their eighties saw them about 5 or so years ago at the Worlds End pub in Tilbury, Essex......they still talk about a great night of music and fun. It took them back to their good old days.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Eoink
Gazza posted:

My Mum and Dad now in their eighties saw them about 5 or so years ago at the Worlds End pub in Tilbury, Essex......they still talk about a great night of music and fun. It took them back to their good old days.

That’s fantastic Gazza, ain’t music wonderful in the way it evokes great memories? 

Yep and I wished I had been there with them as I had seen them 15 or 20 years earlier in the East End of London. Memories are wonderful.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by wenger2015

Yes, RIP Chas,

interestingly it was only a few weeks ago it was announced Chas was making an excellent recovery??

Fake news obviously.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Paper Plane

Saw them supporting Quo a few years ago. Good fun stuff.

He'll be missed at White Hart Lane too.

steve

Nice remarks from White Hart lane today.