Witch hat cables

Posted by: Aceone on 22 September 2018

Good afternoon everyone ,can anyone advice me on witch hat speaker cables are they really good value for money ,iam thinking about buying these cables ,thanks acetone.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Japtimscarlet

Yes ...they are great value for money

But so are original naim ones ...

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Pcd

Used N2 in a Olive system very good excellent value for the money.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by JoexNaim

I think they’re fabulous value. Can’t tell any sonic difference between naca5 (a good thing) and easier to  route as they’re flexible. Really well terminated also.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Richard Dane

Bob, SW, please respect forum rules, thank you.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Aceone

Has anyone heard the phantom cables .

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Dan.S

I have upgraded to Phantoms from N2 and naca5 before that. A nice lift in sq every time. The second I win the lottery, I'll switch to SL.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Stone Free

I have used them for almost five months now and I previously used Naca5 cables.

In my opinion the Phantoms gives a clearer more detailed sound which I prefer.

Great speaker cables!

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Aceone

Do they make speaker jump leads .

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Suzy Wong
 Richard Dane posted:

Sorry, but please clarify which part of the rules I infringed.  As I made clear,  The cables to which I was referring do not carry DC power. 

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by AndyMoss

I moved over to N2 after giving up on the NAC5 - that stuff so inflexible I doubt whoever designed it gave any thought to any practical consideration - and haven't thought about it since, which is always a good sign. The wire covering is a nice woven fabric if you're into tactile considerations.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Stone Free
Aceone posted:

Ask them,It's not on the homepage.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by feeling_zen

WitchHat was , I think, started by an ex Naim employee familiar with the design requirements who had their own ideas of correctness.

They make some unsanctioned leads not to be discussed here. Similarly, any servicing work they do is unauthorised and invalidates any Naim warranty so beware. But their DIN to XLR interconnect was an improvement on the stock lead and very good cost performance.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by Singlespeed

I was only looking at the Phantom cables yesterday, they do sound interesting for the money they are charging!?

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by Yetizone

I can vouch of Witchhat N2 speaker cable. A decent upgrade over NACA4, but no experience of the interconnects (yet).

Currently have a 5m run of N2 with the my UQ2 system and am very happy. During a small office refurb it meant my 4m NACA4 would no longer reach. The thought of contorting on the floor trying to thread and bend NACA5 around the many room obstacles did not appeal.

N2 came in at a reasonable price, is very flexible, nicely finished and improved on the sound a little with this modest system, but wonder if this is due more to freshly soldered cable banana plugs compared to the rather tarnished plugs on the ancient run of NACA4.

The N2 stays for now, but when I start box swapping again (more than likely next year) I’ll investigate the Phantom cable and alternatives to compare. 

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by Aceone

Sounds like they will be a big difference over my present cables witch are chord clearway .

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by Richard Dane
Suzy Wong posted:
 Richard Dane posted:

Sorry, but please clarify which part of the rules I infringed.  As I made clear,  The cables to which I was referring do not carry DC power. 

Apologies, SW if I made a mistake.  It was late and I can't go back to double check - it did precipitate comment on those other cables..

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by JimDog

It's an old chestut, but has anyone done a comparison of good quality speaker cables and noticed a signifcant difference in SQ?

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by keith waring

Yes,have both the phantom and A5 cables and their is a big  difference in sound presentation not saying one is right or wrong,both very good, i would say listen to both if you can  and you may be suprised, only thing i would say if you have a bass shy system the Naim A5 would be a better choice.

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by HiFiman
Aceone posted:

Yep I asked them the same question a few days ago, phantom jump leads are £80.

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by feeling_zen
JimDog posted:

It's an old chestut, but has anyone done a comparison of good quality speaker cables and noticed a signifcant difference in SQ?

You're kidding, right?

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by JimDog

I realize that low end cables sound worse than high end cables. And that all cables will have different effects on the signals passing through them. But I wonder whether many people outside the factory have compared high end cables in a true blind test. That would involve the person being tested not knowing which cable is in to start with and also not witnessing the switchover process or speaking to the person switching the cables over before doing the test. Otherwise there is enormous pressure of 1. social conformity 2. expectation bias 3. cognitive dissonance 4. experimenter effect.

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by JimDog

So I have a theoretical interest in this question as above. But also a practical interest. I have a fairly low end system: 272/serviced 150x, 14 year-old Arivas. Will it make a significant difference if I replace my 14 year-old 8m Chord Rumour 2 with, say, 3.5m NACA5 or Phantom?

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by feeling_zen
JimDog posted:

So I have a theoretical interest in this question as above. But also a practical interest. I have a fairly low end system: 272/serviced 150x, 14 year-old Arivas. Will it make a significant difference if I replace my 14 year-old 8m Chord Rumour 2 with, say, 3.5m NACA5 or Phantom?

Depends on how much oxidisation creep has attacked the two ends of the cable. After 14 years, even a well sealed cable might have 20cm creep at the ends.

Not uncommon to replace copper speaker cables every 10 years at all.

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Aceone

Thanks for your replys I think iam going to give them a try 

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by Huge
JimDog posted:

I realize that low end cables sound worse than high end cables. And that all cables will have different effects on the signals passing through them. But I wonder whether many people outside the factory have compared high end cables in a true blind test. That would involve the person being tested not knowing which cable is in to start with and also not witnessing the switchover process or speaking to the person switching the cables over before doing the test. Otherwise there is enormous pressure of 1. social conformity 2. expectation bias 3. cognitive dissonance 4. experimenter effect.

This isn't always the case,

I tested a group of Ethernet cables to see which would sound best and introduce the least destructive interference into my streamer.  I tested two 'Audiophile' cables and two generic 'Ethernet patch leads', two of the four were screened, two were UTP, all were Cat6 or above.

I didn't know which of the audiophile cables would be best, but I expected the SFTP patch lead to considerably outperform the generic UTP lead - that was obvious.

Except it wasn't...  The really cheap UTP patch lead won the test quite clearly, beating the SFTP lead and both the expensive 'audiophile cables'.