FM radio: does anyone still use it?

Posted by: ursus262 on 23 September 2018

I quite like the sound of going all analogue and having a go at FM reception.  The Uniti 1 has an FM tuner, or I could get a secondhand Naim NAT 05.  Is it still as good as it's always been?

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by thebigfredc

Seems alright to me, can't say I've noticed any changes. R3 is still exquisite.

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by ken c

most used source in my office is the NAT01

enjoy/ken

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by Richard Dane

When ever given the choice between iradio, DAB or FM, I always tend to pick FM purely on the basis of the sound.  And that's even on Radio 4...

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by Christopher_M

Big fan of FM wireless here.

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by Kevin-W

Yep, love FM...

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

Everyday.  

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by Mike-B

Like all the others,  I use my NAT-05 every day,  my most used source.   

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by Tony2011

Only when I'm driving. 

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by Suzy Wong

Hmmm, let me count our FM receivers: NAT03, Linn Kudos, Meridian 105 (two), Meridian 205, Audi in-car (two)

Now let me count our DAB receivers: Denon mini system in kitchen -  recent comment from SWMBO, “it’s got radio???”

’Nuff said?

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by Adam Zielinski

Yeap - every day - Superuniti and NDX with FM get used non-stop to play FM radio

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by davidf

Listening to my 01 right now- exquisite 

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by Chag...

Absolutely. I just happen to have hooked a SCDR on my NAT05 XS in lieu of HCDR. A marvel. I had done it a few years ago waiting for the 252 to arrive. I knew it was very very good, but at Allegri+/300DR level, it is exquisite. This over the top combo has great transparency without a bit of compromise of PRaT. It has deep, but light and quick basses, and wonderful timbres. Voices are barely warm and forward just to sound very natural. The NAT01 will  probably do better, but for those who already have a SC, you might just want to grab a S/H XS for 300 quids or so and try it for yourself.  Yes FM over iRadio any time.:taré1:

Chag -  

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by Dazan

I like my FM tuner and yes, I use it whenever I can.

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Yep use FM VHF here .. like it a lot. Btw if you want a tuner you might want to seek out a used NAT03... they have a wonderful warm presentation, great for voices... I prefer my 03 to my NAT05... the only possible downside is the 03 uses the old Olive coloured casing.

Posted on: 23 September 2018 by Bob the Builder

I have been a radio listner my whole life, before the internet it was the only way of hearing new music and I always had a decent tuner and still have three but unless I'm in the car I don't listen to fm anymore sadly.

I have really taken to iRadio in a big way and although not as good as fm it is better and better some 320kpb staions like Linn Jazz and Radio Paradise are very good quality.

I have a Roberts that plays dab and fm for work and because of signal stability and station choice I use dab.

If there were a multitude of real analogue fm stations available playing live music as it it did when I was growing up I would invest in a top end tuner but not just to listen to BBC radio. 

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Rich 1

Use both indiscriminately. Although only FM in the car. Rich 

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by The Strat (Fender)
Bob the Builder posted:

I have been a radio listner my whole life, before the internet it was the only way of hearing new music and I always had a decent tuner and still have three but unless I'm in the car I don't listen to fm anymore sadly.

I have really taken to iRadio in a big way and although not as good as fm it is better and better some 320kpb staions like Linn Jazz and Radio Paradise are very good quality.

I have a Roberts that plays dab and fm for work and because of signal stability and station choice I use dab.

If there were a multitude of real analogue fm stations available playing live music as it it did when I was growing up I would invest in a top end tuner but not just to listen to BBC radio. 

You me and alike Bob I sometimes listen all day.  

Here’s the thing though.  The Qb with its choice of stations is great but I still get too many annoying drop-outs.   And as for DAB in the car - arghhhhh - I drove all the way from Buckingham to Newcastle 2 weekends ago and R3 on FM just stayed locked on.  Not a blip but with DAB I can’t go 15 miles down the road to Aylesbury without a silence.  And R3 on FM sounds sublime.  

Progress or not.  

Regards,

Lindsay

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by blythe

Nat-05 still in regular service here in my main system

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Pev

Not me - the only station I listen to that is available on FM is Radio 4 and I'm not too fussed about sound quality for the Today Programme etc. None of my preferred music stations broadcast on FM and as Radio Paradise is now available in FLAC the sound quality issue is in favour of internet radio. Even if it wasn't the choice is a clinching factor - listening to local music stations direct from Jamaica, Nigeria etc. is brilliant fun - try doing that on FM.  DAB is OK for the car - I'm not getting another FM radio.

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Clive B

The NAT01 is in use every day. It is, without exception, the best source component I use and, I believe, the best source component Naim Audio has ever produced (ND555 included).

SQ is dependent on aerial, so don't be tempted to cut corners here.

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Tabby cat

NAT 01 for me and still adore it's sound.Sometimes it's on in the lounge on Radio 3 in the evening and I come into the Kitchen from another room and if I like what they are playing usually a live broadcast I sit down and get transfixed by the performance and lose half an hour......its happened so many times I've lost count.I also use a A@R Cambridge T21 which is superb for its price back in the day but the 01 is something very special.Definatly in the top 5 tuners ever made with the Marantz 10 B and Day Sequerra.

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by patk

Big fan of FM radio. Listen daily.  Fortunate to live close to a few universities, so always have a variety of programs available.  

Use a NAT05 XS w/ flatcap and a Magnum Dynalab 100.  One of these days I need to try the Hicap DR on the NAT.  

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Mike Kent

Yep, deffo. Listen to my NAT05 several times a week and always for the Proms.

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Dev B

In our downstairs system we have a NAT01 fed by Galaxie 17 into the 552. In the upstairs system I believe I may have a by accident Naim digital radio. Unitiqute FM into Naim DAC into NAIT 2 lol????

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Campmusic

FM is on most of the day at home; unitiqutes in bedrooms, kitchen and study. NAT02 ln living room. I have a basic Ron Smith aerial which does a great job in spite of the pigeons. I listen to dab for the cricket and workout to Radio Paradise but FM dominates my listening.