Tonight With Jools Holland - new series starts tonight - 25th Sept.

Posted by: Yetizone on 25 September 2018

Just a quick heads up for Jools fans. A new series (53rd!) starts tonight. The usual slot of BBC2 at 10pm or the extended show on the following Friday. Also on the iPlayer after broadcast. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006ml0l

On this evening.

PerformerJess Glynne
PerformerIdles
PerformerSoft Cell
PerformerKing Princess
PerformerRalph McTel

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by Gazza

Thanks for the heads up, have not heard Ralph McTell in years

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by hungryhalibut

It would be better if Jools was banned from playing the same old tune on the joanna for every guest, but this has got to be worth it for Marc Almond. 

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by MDS

I thought Jools only came out on New Year's Eve.  

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by Tony2011

Unfortunately not!

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by hungryhalibut

Great to see Soft Cell. Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. 

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Yetizone

I watched the show and it was ok. Enjoyed Soft Cell - is it really 40 years since they formed? Blimey. Ralph M ok, but not my cup of tea. Jess Glynne has an interesting voice, but again, just not overly inspired. Idles were amusing. Thought King Princess interesting and liked that one song and will keep tabs on future releases.

I don’t mind a bit of Jools plinky plonk and generally can take or leave his music, but i’m a fan of the show format. Its his high waisted suit trousers I find more alarming, disturbing even.

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by PaulM160

Thanks for the reminder, I would have completely missed this - I will catch the extended version. I think your comments above nicely sum up the programme; a variety of artists, some good, some bad some indifferent - I like the chance to make up my mind and similar to the music forum here have discovered some new artists that I have continued to explore. 

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Hmack

Can't believe that a number of people appear to be having a sly (or in some cases not so sly) dig at Jools Holland. 

"Tonight with Jools Holland" for me was the natural and worthy successor to the "Old Grey Whistle Test" I used to look forward to so much when I was a student. I'm a big fan of Jools and the music he plays, and the format and eclectic nature of the show is unbeatable as far as I am concerned.

It's also interesting to see, despite sharing a greater than normal interest in music (otherwise why would we spend ridiculously large amounts of money on our hi-fi systems), just how different our tastes in music can be. I guess it mainly comes down to age, and to musical influences at a critical age. My own personal taste in music and music collection precludes almost anything from what can loosely be termed the "New Romantic" genre. In the 80s, I simply could not bear to listen to anything from this genre, including Soft Cell and Marc Almond. I have to say that my judgemental taste has mellowed a little over the years, and I was able to listen to both Soft Cell tracks all the way through last night and 'almost' enjoy them.    

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Cbr600

Just checked and the repeat is not on Friday, but actually on bbc2 on Saturday evening 11pm

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Yetizone

Thanks CBR