The Ryder Cup

Posted by: Don Atkinson on 30 September 2018

Started as a golf competition between GB and the USA.

Republic of Ireland joined in about 1953

Then extended to Europe a couple of decades later.

Today's celebrations looked more like the EU had won - as opposed to Europe.

What will be the situation post Brexit ?

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

Well I don’t know but what a victory. 

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by ynwa250505
Don Atkinson posted:

Started as a golf competition between GB and the USA.

Republic of Ireland joined in about 1953

Then extended to Europe a couple of decades later.

Today's celebrations looked more like the EU had won - as opposed to Europe.

What will be the situation post Brexit ?

Jesus Don - do us all a favour ...

What on earth has the European Ryder cup team got to do with the EU or Brexit???

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by thebigfredc

I caught some of the play on all three days, especially on Staurday which turned out to be the pivotal day.

A case of home advantage being made to count as the US were not really familiar with the course.

Well done Mcallroy and Co.

Posted on: 01 October 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

I'm no golf fan but even allowing for that some of the R5 coverage was way OTT I thought. Over-analysing every move, every bit of clothing even! In the end it was people yelling 'get in the hole' after a shot is taken that did for me and I gave up.

I do sense that European players have a more team orientated and collaborative approach than US ones but I have no idea why that should be. It is interesting all the same.

Bruce

Posted on: 01 October 2018 by thebigfredc

Have to agree with Bruce that morons shouting 'get in the hole' became a little wearisome after a while. Some of the players were hacked off with phones going off nearby in the crowd just as they were about to take a shot.

Its the first time I have watched it in HD on Sky and, a bit like their NFL and cricket coverage, its really superb and adds to the spectacle. I realise this makes me seem like a couch potato.

Ray

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by Hmack

I agree that Sky's golf coverage is generally excellent and their coverage of the Ryder cup was definitely up to par. A fantastic victory by the European team, helped just a little by some customary (at least when playing abroad in the Ryder cup) flat performances by a few of the top US players. 

My one regret is that the golf events are not broadcast in 3D any more. I was not a very big fan of 3D football coverage, but 3D makes a massive contribution to an appreciation of the contours of some of the best golf courses in the world, which can often look very flat on TV. I can remember being completely blown away by the first (and possibly only) 3D coverage of the US Augusta Masters some years ago now. I was stunned by just how hilly the course was and just how dramatically the greens are contoured. Golf is probably the one sport that I would definitely choose to watch in 3D.