Shaving...as a hobby

Posted by: Paper Plane on 02 October 2018

I have been shaving for over 50 years, I was a late starter, and had always seen it as a necessary chore, something that just had to be done. I have used electrics, disposables, multiblades and even, when between wives, grown a beard.

Then I read an article in The Grauniad about safety razors. Mrs Plane presented me with a basic Wilkinson Sword Double Edge razor and blades and I tried it. It was an epiphany, this was the best shave I had ever had. From then on I was hooked.

At first it was just a sample pack of different blades and, believe me, they are different. This led me to join a shaving Forum which, in turn, introduced met to a whole world of blades, balms, brushes and beard mapping. I have bought a brush, a stainless steel razor, more blades and a used blade bank (A tin wiv a slot in it really). I have even been sent free samples of shaving cream and balms to try. The daily shave has become a joy, a thing of pleasure and fulfilment, nay, even a ritual.

Interestingly, there are parallels with hi-fi. You start with the basics and then it's that eternal yellow brick road of upgrades to some imaginary nirvana. Mind you, these are cheaper. Serious hardware can be bought for the price some people pay for rare or hard-to-get albums. Brush choice is as variable as cable choice, blades as cartridges.

So tomorrow morning I will be taking my Keith Jagger brush and shaving cream, Rockwell 2C razor, Rockwell blade and one of a selection of balms for my morning enjoyment. Then another day, I might swap the Rockwell blade for a Voskhod or a Personna, or a Gillette, or a… You get the picture.

steve

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by Mike Hughes

Congratulations on the most vaguely disturbing post of the day.

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by Hook

I hate shaving, always have. But as the Mrs. insists, it is a necessary evil. The only shaving products that interest me are ones that make the process go more quickly, without sacrificing safety. Gillette Power Fusion and Gel works well for me.

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by TOBYJUG

Having an older sister who was keen on the Avon lady coming knocking on the door every Thursday night, I'm pretty clued up on what's good for keeping the noggin looking great.

I haven't had a proper shave for decades, preferring the what was once called the "designer stubble".  A close enough trim using a clipper shaver that still leaves some colour.   Chasing a baby smooth shave is just ridiculous, both in appearance and for the health of skin. Your not a Teenager any more.

Although I do have a bald head on top which might contribute to this disposition...

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by John Willmott

I've had a full beard for 45 years and am quite happy thank you ... 

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by seakayaker

It's not a hobby, for me anyway.......

a routine, sometimes daily, sometimes when I feel like it, sometime just a trim on the neck when the months pass with a beard. 

We all have hobbies and vices, shaving is one that I don't think I will be pursuing.......

........but have a blast with Keith & Rockwell tomorrow!

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by Huge

Think yourselves lucky that you're not in the other half of the population, 'cause then it's just a damn nuisance...

I don't see how anyone could consider waxing as a pleasurable process   ; also legs are a much greater surface area and armpits are very sensitive.  And I'm not going going into any further details. 

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by Paper Plane

Shaving, by any gender, is an entirely voluntary activity. It is only defined by societal norms.

steve

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by Timmo1341

Had the mandatory beard and shoulder length hair at University in the early ‘70s, but for the last 40+ years have shaved pretty much every day. Occasionally I can’t be arsed, but by the next day feel itchy/scratchy and ‘dirty’. Shaving somehow seems to fit naturally with showering first thing, a clean, fresh start to the day! Not sure I’d describe it as a hobby, although I have subscribed to one of the online ‘clubs’ (Cornerstone) and acquired a very nice quality stainless steel safety razor, gratifyingly weighty and pleasant to use. The 3 bladed cartridges give me the best shave ever. I’ve given up using shaving cream containing palm oil, and pay a little extra for a very pleasant Sandlewood scented shaving soap from Bond Street - very decadent, but nice!

The only down side is my wife regularly ‘borrows’ my new gear - I don’t know what it is about her leg and underarm hair, but it blunts my blades instantly!

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by ChrisR_EPL

Not a hobby, but definitely one of those things that can be better or worse depending on the gear. Fwiw I started a shaving thread on a cycle website a few years ago, following a bout of disquiet at the cost of the latest multi-blade blades that cost a fortune and didn't last long. After a brief and unsuccessful attempt at using a cut-throat I followed the advice in that thread and went DE, and haven't regretted it since. A better shave, and virtually free beyond the initial outlay. That thread refuses to die, last time I looked it had resurfaced, to my amusement.

One Murhle R39, one badger brush, a pot of Sandalwood cream every few months and a box of blades every couple of years (less now the kids nick em) and bob's yer uncle, I'd never go back to electric, or overpriced blades that cost buttons to produce.

Probably not allowed to post a link but hey-ho, it's not commercial and not a rival to Naim (unless we accept that there's little difference in spending big bucks on bikes or audio equipment): https://www.bikeradar.com/foru...40012&t=12881827

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by joerand

My two greatest revelations regarding shaving; 1) get a fog-proof mirror and shave in the shower, and 2) use my wife's shaving cream (the stuff made for shaving women's legs is so much richer and smoother than the junk made for shaving men's faces).

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by Bert Schurink

Not a hobby, more a necessary evil, which is more pleasant with blades than with lecturing. That’s why I use Gillette

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by Bob the Builder

I grew a short beard about 2 years ago and so use a beard trimmer once every two weeks but opposed to wet shaving every one or two days it is so much better.  I was clean shaven before that my whole adult life and found shaving a pain but really liked the feeling of being freshly shaved but even so I wouldn't go back to shaving.                                                                                                                                        

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by Clive B

Most definitely not a hobby for me, purely a chore. I use a stick and brush and a Wilkinson Sword Hydro razor with no less than five blades - I just went to count them. Five! I never thought I'd need more than two, but it's actually very good and the blades, although not cheap, last ages.

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by Beachcomber

I used to shave - every day (twice if I was going out in the evening) and hated it.  The waste of time, of course, but also the discomfort of the process itself and for a little while after.  Tried wet shaving and electric.  Horrid process.  Many years ago (can't remember how many - about 45 or 50) I decided that I would desist.  Shaved only once since then (to see what was there.  Couple of owls and a nest, but otherwise nothing of interest).  It's a silly idea.  My wife never minded the beard.  In many ways it's nicer - never prickly, always soft.  And I read recently some research that indicated that beards are more hygienic (fewer germs were found).  

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by Mike Hughes

Blunt blades. Try a Razor Pit. My blades are ridiculously expensive. Latest blade has lasted 10 months thanks to the aforementioned ludicrously simple device.

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by TOBYJUG
ChrisR_EPL posted:

Not a hobby, but definitely one of those things that can be better or worse depending on the gear. Fwiw I started a shaving thread on a cycle website a few years ago, following a bout of disquiet at the cost of the latest multi-blade blades that cost a fortune and didn't last long. After a brief and unsuccessful attempt at using a cut-throat I followed the advice in that thread and went DE, and haven't regretted it since. A better shave, and virtually free beyond the initial outlay. That thread refuses to die, last time I looked it had resurfaced, to my amusement.

One Murhle R39, one badger brush, a pot of Sandalwood cream every few months and a box of blades every couple of years (less now the kids nick em) and bob's yer uncle, I'd never go back to electric, or overpriced blades that cost buttons to produce.

Probably not allowed to post a link but hey-ho, it's not commercial and not a rival to Naim (unless we accept that there's little difference in spending big bucks on bikes or audio equipment): https://www.bikeradar.com/foru...40012&t=12881827

Don't the hardcore cyclists shave everything off ?  To help them go faster !

Plus you wouldn't want bushy bits underneath all that Lycra I can imagine.

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by ChrisR_EPL

Cyclists & shaving of legs was an occasional topic for discussion on there; the consensus generally was it makes it easier to take plasters off after a tumble, and that it looks good by highlighting skin tone and muscle definition. Not many fell for the supposed aerodynamic benefits. The commonest response from regular club cyclists was that they shave legs because that’s what cyclists do. I gave it a try once; was a bit meh tbh.

Posted on: 04 October 2018 by naim_nymph

Cyclists shaving their legs has more to do with easier application of embrocation, massage, and hygiene. The application of embrocation to hairy legs of a typical male troglodyte cyclist is just too ghastly to visualise.

The injury maintenance, and streamlining is true but more of a bonus advantage.

I occasionally epilate my leg hair [ it doesn't hurt just tickles a bit ].

I find proper cyclist embrocation too expensive and it often smells funny [ ralgex? ] so i usually use a little mix of baby oil + moisturiser, more baby oil for rainy or wet roads, or factor 40 spray on sunny days. I really hate the smell of factor sun block, but do fear skin cancer.