Christmas presents for Daddy, Granddaddy and great uncle Hubert.............

Posted by: Sloop John B on 05 October 2018

I hope [@mention:32118649575894026] doesn't mind me quoting him on a different thread

AndyP19 posted:

This looks like a wonderful release. But but you have ask yourself has KB gone completely mad. Where was the build-up, no fanfare, advanced publicilty or sneak previews - what a great idea let's release a deluxe set on the market in the same period when we have:-

John Lennon - Imagine

David Bowie - Loving the Alien

Bob Dylan - More Blood on the Tracks

The Beatles - White Album

The Police - Every Move You Make

and of course that creme de la ceme of a deluxe re-issue The Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet (errrr!!!!)

Post Christmas, I reckon there's going to be a few bargains around.

but it certainly is a salient point that there is a lot of costly box set releases coming out for this Christmas. The Beatles and Dylan might interest me but I do wonder whether I might be best to wait until the new year and hopefully save some money - or do I risk missing the train altogether, how "limited" are these releases?

Compared to the full Beatles box set they do all seem far more expensive in 2018 than 2013.

.sjb

Posted on: 05 October 2018 by Nick Lees

Stand by for the 150 LP trunk set of the Grateful Dead’s residency in Butte Plug, North Dakota 1990. 

I’m game for some of this nonsense, but you do wonder who listens to the “bonus” stuff more than once (if that). That Bach 223 CD box set....

Posted on: 05 October 2018 by Stevee_S
Nick Lees posted:

Stand by for the 150 LP trunk set of the Grateful Dead’s residency in Butte Plug, North Dakota 1990. 

I’m game for some of this nonsense, but you do wonder who listens to the “bonus” stuff more than once (if that). That Bach 223 CD box set....

Yep, my thoughts exactly, sometimes less is more...

Posted on: 05 October 2018 by Nick Lees

I chuckle to myself that Nazareth even recorded enough stuff to fill a 39 CD box set let alone persuade someone to buy it then have some family member strap them into a chair and have it played to them.

OK, I’m not a Nazareth fan, but really, 39 CDs?

Posted on: 05 October 2018 by Beachcomber
Sloop John B posted:

I hope [@mention:32118649575894026] doesn't mind me quoting him on a different thread

how "limited" are these releases?

They are usually limited to only those that buy them.

Posted on: 05 October 2018 by Dave J
Nick Lees posted:

I chuckle to myself that Nazareth even recorded enough stuff to fill a 39 CD box set let alone persuade someone to buy it then have some family member strap them into a chair and have it played to them.

OK, I’m not a Nazareth fan, but really, 39 CDs?