Help please.....getting deseperate

Posted by: Davidr on 06 October 2018

Now I am feeling vulnerable as I may be about to reveal stupidity! But ask for tolerane and help.

I have just received my NDS which was working wonderfully last night using UPnP, streaming to my MUSO & MUSOQB. Then I installed the unpdate for the MUSO and I can no longer stream to either of the MUSOs . When I am in the Naim app the multiroom option is there, both MUSOs appear but as soon as I try to connect to one its starts to try and connect and then disappears followed by the other one. 2 minutes later they appear!

What is more baffling is that using iRadio works just fine, streaming to the MUSOs so why does the UPnP

Both MUSOs have the multiroom enabled.

I test the MUSO which had the firmware update last night this morning streaming direct from the NAS and it kept dropping. The MUSO QB worked perfectly.

All suggestions welcome....I cannot understand what has gone wrong.

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by Davidr

.....and using a digital input from my old mini mac the streaming works fine form the NDS to the MUSOs so the problem is limited to the UPnP input ...

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by Gazza

I vaguely remember something posted about the nd555 having this problem with the new firmware, which was pulled from the server. The interim advice was to stream from the Muso to the nd555......can you stream from the Muso to qb and NDS?

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by dave marshall

This may help :

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...e-announcement-3-0-1

Dave.

It has now recftified itself, however half the music is missing.....I can only surmise that everything is being uploaded into the system still....there is a lot of music so this is probably the answer

I have two problems

1. Now it is back again....the NDS does not make the connection to the MUSOs...any ideas ?

2. It does not always find the tracks on the NAS server, even ones it has recently played.

In fact now it will not play anything and says 'connecting please wait'. The network is fine and it is connected by ethernet

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by hungryhalibut

Have you tried rebooting everything? Turn everything off. Then turn on the router and leave it a few minutes, then do the same for your switch. Then turn on the nas, again waiting for it to fully boot up. Then turn on the streamers. See if it then works. 

The other day things started going funny when controlling the system with my iPad, while it was fine with the phone. The fix was to totally reset the iPad back to its original state, then reload it. 

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by Camlan
Davidr posted:

I have two problems

1. Now it is back again....the NDS does not make the connection to the MUSOs...any ideas ?

2. It does not always find the tracks on the NAS server, even ones it has recently played.

In fact now it will not play anything and says 'connecting please wait'. The network is fine and it is connected by ethernet

I very occasionally used to have a problem like this with my NDS which was always solved by a reboot. 

Perhaps a stupid question but you are not trying to stream 24/192 files to the Muso are you?

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by Davidr

Thanks for the advice....I rebooted and then it was fine....for an hour or so. No streaming 24/192 :-).

The firmware known issue is not what I am experiencing...

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by Adam Zielinski
Davidr posted:

The firmware known issue is not what I am experiencing...

It is actually. Can you try to use MuSo as a master for multi-room playback, rather than NDS?

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by David Hendon

Anyway the firmware known issue is just the new streamers not the old ones like NDS.

This really sounds like a network issue rather than a Naim issue. When you updated the musos they will have got an ip from the router when they restarted. These may or may not be the same addresses as before. The NDS, if it's on 4.6 firmware will also get an IP address when it starts up, but it is a quirk of the 4.6 firmware that if you restart the router again without restarting the NDS then the NDS stays with its old IP address, which may or may not be what the router thinks it has. 4.5 firmware and earlier didn't have this quirk so if you rebooted the router, the NDS would get a new ip lease on the router startup and use whatever ip address the router now had for it. 

The Naim app, since 5.11, tries hard to remember where the rooms are and so if the room ip addresses have changed since the app was last restarted, it can take a while for the app to work it all out.

So all of this means that the startup order is more important than it used to be. It's router first and let it fully start, then other stuff in whatever order (but if you have a network switch then do this next after the router) and last of all restart the Naim app.

best

David

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by Adam Zielinski

Good points from David - I sort of assumed that the OP has done all that.... 

Excellent points from a man with an excellent name. I think it is a network problem and I did all as said but not the ethernet hub which could be the problem.

Will keep you posted. Many thanks as always....great forum this.

I have rebooted everything in the correct order, recoonected the MUSOs etc.

The main problem at the moment is the NDS will not play many tracks, inluding the one it just played, it says 'cannot play'

Its driving me nuts.

The NDS can also see more music on the NAS than the App can! Totally bizarre

Have you done a factory reset on the NDS?

best

David

Good idea.

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by sjbabbey

Hi David

It might help to know what NAS and UPnP server software you are using.

Also the NDS can only stream up to CD resolution (16/44) files via multiroom so if you are trying to stream HiRes files or your UPnP server is upsampling files to 24 bit these won’t stream. 

Just have....what am I doing wrong here

1. Played a AIFF 96/24 track which refused to stream the MUSOs,

2. Played a CD rip which streamed

3. Went back to the exact same track on stage 1, and it now says 'Can't play' in the display of the NDS

Very frustrated

See my post above. NDS will only stream up to 16/44 via multiroom.

As SJBAbbey says, you can't multiroom HD tracks. But why you can't play it a second time on the NDS, I don't know.

I would be inclined to turn off the musos, restart the NDS and try playing the same tracks but with no multiroom getting involved.

best

David

I am not sure you are correct about the streaming. I am currently listening to 44/24 bit streamed to both MUSOs from the NDS.

Stopped the track to play something else and now it won't play anything. I think that there is something wrong with the file structure on the NAS.

Apologies David the limit for multiroom streaming of AIFF files is actually 24bit 48kHz but this is still below the 24/96 file you were trying to stream. The specs per the Naim multiroom supplement are:

ALAC up to 44.1kHz/16 bit
AAC up to 48kHz/16 bit
MP4 up to 48kHz/16 bit
MP3 up to 48kHz/16 bit
WMA up to 48kHz/16 bit
AIFF up to 48kHz/24 bit
FLAC up to 48kHz/24 bit
WAV up to 48kHz/24 bit

https://www.naimaudio.com/site...nt%20Iss%201N%20.pdf

Yes I just found the same multiroom supplement, so I wasn't quite right in saying it wouldn't stream HD. Anyway the list is as SJBAbbey says.

It took a while to find this supplement on Naim's website even though I knew it existed. Their own index didn't seem to list it, but as often is the case, it's better to use Google than to try to use Naim's own index.

best

David

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Davidr

I cannot solve the intermittent problem of the NDS loosing he files. Sometimes it shows artwork soemtimes it doesn’t, 

Others it looses the loses the track right after it has played another one if I want to o back to it,

i use a Synology NAS. His behaviour is completely ruining my experience

any ideas?

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Adam Zielinski

Without trying to sound ignorant, given these symptopms,  I would assume that there is something wrong with the network implementation.

Instead of searching for a spefic fault, I’d actually start from a know state - i.e. reset everything to zero and build it up again. May be faster and less frustrating.
So.... back up all the music files to an external drive.
Then re-set your NAS and build it up again.
Disconnect and re-set all network components, switches, streamers. Re-connect again. Power up the router and switch first.
Then NAS. Streamers would be the last ones to be connected.
Make sure you use this diagram as a basic guidance for building up a network (picture courtesy of Mike-B)

61A5E0E3-365E-4F58-99C7-1EC6238EEEAE

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Huge

I suggest going back to basics to do the diagnosis systematically.

Without using multi-room mode...

1  Will the NDS play 16/44.1 tracks reliably?
2  Will the NDS play 24/192 tracks reliably?