Best match on NAC 32-5 for iPhone or iPad

Posted by: andrea on 06 October 2018

Hallo everyone. I'm recently streaming very often on my 32-5/110/Kan system (very good, by the way), through iPhone or iPad. (I feel CDs sound a bit better though.  Isn't that strange?). I wonder if there would be a preferred input to use, a preferred cable to connect, a preferred streaming source. I'm using tape input, a cable made by Flashback, and Tidal Premium. But there could be better? Like a special board made for, or better fitted to the source? or a better cable, or a better streaming app.

Anyhow, best input/card is the primary question.

I thank you all for the attention

Kind Regards

Andrea

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by Bob the Builder

Dpending on how much you wish to spens I would advise a small DAC like an Audioquest Dragonfly or a Chord Mojo as the internal DAC inside the iPhone/iPad that your using is not very good and because the iPad/iPhone isn't a dedicated streamer the the signal it is outputting is quite poor.

Both the DACS I've mentioned you can find on eBay for a couple of hundred pounds or even less the Audioquest goes for about £150 I think and it will lift the sound quality by a considerable margin.

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by andrea

Thank you, I'll take good note of it!!

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by David Hendon

The Dragonfly Red is the one to go for. It's about £170 but more refined than the already good Black at about half that.

best

David

Thanks David, I'll take a good look at it!!! Or rather a good listening, if I can

Wait a minute, I took a look at it... I don't see how I'm supposed to use it... something escapes to me.... where shall I plug it?  It seems from pics it only has a usb connection, which is missing on both iPhone and NAC !?!?!? Puzzled....

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by Richard Dane

You need an OTG adaptor cable;

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by ChrisSU

The Dragonfly DACs are great if you don’t mind one hanging off your iPhone on a short Apple camera connection cable or similar, and you should be able to use the same Flashback cable from there to the Nait. You might also consider a  Chord Mojo with the same connections, or Hugo, which has regular a RCA out. 

All of the above require a wired connection which is a good way to go if you don’t find it too inconvenient. The Hugo also has Bluetooth which may not sound quite as good and won’t play all hires formats. If you really want to be free of a wired connection a separate streamer would be a better option. If you don’t want a relatively expensive Naim box, something like a Yamaha WXC 50 would be a good option. 

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by Loki

I use a Russ Andrews GQ24 interconnect which attaches to the digital output on the ipad. They only do the old wider fitting, but you can buy a converter from Apple for the lightning connector. Works a treat through the Tape input. I have a two metre cable to allow arm chair remote handiness. Love the 32.5. 282 is the next appreciable upgrade, but I don't need all those inputs.

Richard Dane posted:

You need an OTG adaptor cable;

I see.... thanks!!

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by Bob the Builder

You could also get a Google Chromecast Audio  which will allow you to send a wireless stream it can be connected directly to your 32.5 or via a DAC. These little units are very cheap about £30 and easy too use and can be connected with the flashback cable you have if it is the one that connects to the headphone socket.

If you decide to use a DAC with the Google Chromecast it will need to have a Toslink input something like a Chord Mojo would be perfect.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by andrea

Hallo guys, I’ve been looking to all the options you mentioned, in the meanwhile due to season weather I moved back to home in Rome.... where using a cable to connect iPhone do deck will be definitely more inconvenient than in the smaller country house.... I’ve also learned that WIFI transmission allows higher quality than bluetooth one. So now I’m exploring the possibility of streaming from iPhone to system via WIFI, and using some WIFI receiver, if there is one. On the web I don’t seem to find much of it, may be I’m not looking properly? Could you please advise on that? Anyway the dragonfly red is on the list as I go back to the country, when spring weather will make that pleasant again ???? . Thanks for the help to you all. Kind Regards. Andrea 

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Philipp vH

Streaming:
There were already advices above, for the Google Chromecast, the Yamaha WXC 50. There's also ”smaller" devices like the WXAD-10.
And some years ago I'd had proposed the Airport Express (out of sale from Apple), since you rare using iPhone.

I guess, you should consider which devices are your source of the music - iOS, Android, or also PCs with Windows/Mac, .... Or which streaming services (if any) you are using. Maybe check also the option for Wired LAN (connecting to your router/a switch) or directly attached the device to WiFi.
From that, select something which "fits" the protocols / connections you use with your devices/apps.
Apple stuff will work nicely with Apple stuff.
Google stuff with Android/Google.
Devices like the Yamahas may be more versatile in supporting different protocols - sometimes good to have, sometimes wasted, if you know your use cases exactly.

For iOS as "source", I would advise something which allows "AirPlay (2)". (With a single point to play music and if your network is stable, the version 2 is optional - I've been using Airplay for 10+ years without hassle (outside of real HiFi context).)
This allows to either stream "just music" or the whole output of your device (which means, you can use any App to play any kind of sound to the streaming client).

PS: There is "lossless CD+ quality with Bluetooth" on the market. But it's rarely supported by the devices and Apple does not go beyond "AAC quality". So yes, WiFi more often offers CD (or HiRes) quality).

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I’m using an iPhone indeed, and Tidal Premium. Seldom Spotify or Deezer. So, I shall seriously consider that Airply(2) you mentioned..... I should  be able to connect it to Naim pre off course, and via Wifi to iPhone. I’m going to check price. Thanks again and Kind Regards

PS i assume it is possible to connect Apple AirPlay 2 to any Naim preamp via a dedicated cable, right?

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Philipp vH
andrea posted:

PS i assume it is possible to connect Apple AirPlay 2 to any Naim preamp via a dedicated cable, right?

AirPlay / AirPlay 2 is the protocol talked between your iPhone and the streaming device. (It's not a HW model.)

I don't have the details which input your existing system has; the different devices will usually have line-out and the better ones digital out (e.g. SPDIF) - in the first case you use the DAC of the streaming client, in the latter case any external dedicated DAC or within your (pre-)amp.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by andrea

Ok thanks again

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by andrea

Hallo! I've just got the Dragonfly red, second hand, but very little use..... it is a bargain, 100€ including expe. As it is here I'll give you my impressions.

Now I need an OTG adaptor.

There are a few out there, any hint on a good one?

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by ChrisSU
andrea posted:

Hallo! I've just got the Dragonfly red, second hand, but very little use..... it is a bargain, 100€ including expe. As it is here I'll give you my impressions.

Now I need an OTG adaptor.

There are a few out there, any hint on a good one?

If you have an Apple phone, you can use their so-called Camera Adapter. There are 2 versions. The basic Lightning to USB2 one is a bit cheaper. The USB3 version which Audioquest claim has slightly better sound quality, as a bit more bulky, but it allows you to connect a charger at the same time so that you don't run down the phone battery.

Thanks. In fact to connect a charger simultaneously it is not an optional.... it is a must, unless you want to be always sure phone has max charge when you start streaming...... which is not obvious.

Good advise, thank you.

Of course it will mean to go around with a mess of cables, but the only alternatives are bluetooth with lesser quality or a streamer, at minimum 10 times as much the cost. Sometimes, one has no real choice, isnt'it? 

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by ChrisSU
andrea posted:

Of course it will mean to go around with a mess of cables, but the only alternatives are bluetooth with lesser quality or a streamer, at minimum 10 times as much the cost. Sometimes, one has no real choice, isnt'it? 

Yes, the adapter cable, Dragonfly and jack plug hanging off the bottom of your phone isn't very elegant, but it does work well, and I think the sound quality is very good for the money.