Involuntry singing even though you can't sing?

Posted by: Stephen Tate on 07 October 2018

Hi all,

I have managed to find myself in a bit of an embarrassing situation when SWMBO caught me involuntary singing out loud to an Madonna song, crikey I've never done that before, I mean it was like a real have ago 'X factor' audition style stuff!!

This has got me thinking...does this mean that my system is in full fettle?  because I have never been one for singing, a bit of air guitaring maybe, when alone, but never singing out load and to a Madonna song too!

Thing is I could not help myself and I feel a little shocked by it to say the least! 

Just thought i'd share this bizarre moment because I now feel a little stupid.

How many of you out there have been caught out in a similar situation?

Happy Listening!

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by TK421

Frequently!

But possibly worse. I get songs stuck in my head and on an almost daily basis start singing when sat at my desk in the office. Well I call it singing but it isn't really. I know the lyrics but can't actually get them out in the right way.

For example, last week I had The Gambler stuck and so randomly started blurting it out one afternoon. One colleague asked what I was singing so I told him, when another colleague who sits further away said "it doesn't go like that" we agreed the lyrics were correct but the tune was all wrong!

As yet I haven't got into any trouble as most of my colleagues think it's rather funny but I should really try to be more professional (with the singing I mean).

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by Stephen Tate

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I quite often find myself whistling away to the odd tune at work from the radio but what I found different here is that when i'm in front of my system i tend to get a bit more serious and listen to the system instead, hearing for any negatives? not really sure if that is a positive thing or not. Now I am just finding myself just listening to the music itself and forgetting about what the system is doing, something of which I haven't done in a long time if i'm honest.

To add, i'm a percussion man, I've always been a tapper, played the drums in my younger years and was in a band at one point but to sing? NEVER!

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by Huge

I associate 'involuntary' (music induced) singing with 'involuntary' (music induced*) foot tapping, so yes I suggest it indicates that your system is musically involving to a great degree.

*  Definitely different from involuntary medically induced foot tapping (such as that induced by ADHS or RLS), and very much less of a problem to worry about - just enjoy the music!

Thanks Huge.

Doh, I've just noticed (uh?) my eyesight is definitely not what it was *involuntary* - thanks for the correction. At least my ears are still telling me everything is working ok.

Back to the music.

Happy Listening Folks!

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by Alley Cat

No need to be embarrassed - I've sung along to the occasional Spice Girls, Tom Jones or Spandau Ballet song amongst hundreds of others so you're in good company 

There's the funny thing with music, enjoyable songs you can sing along to work equally well in the car, on a small radio or on TV speakers, often in fact better than on a good hi-fi - the music comes to the fore not concerns about hi-fi type aspects of listening.

It's odd, some songs you think will sound great on a high-end system actually don't sound as good, too clinical/sterile perhaps, but we have to remember most music is designed for the masses and expected to be played on average to mediocre equipment!

Other music just alive on a good hi-fi system.

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by Mike-B

Getting caught singing along yourself to "embarrassing" tunes is one thing,  but having to listen to the tone deaf with a half octave range is something else.   

@ MIKE-B

You've heard my missus singing I take it 

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by seakayaker

I sang more in my youth, at my age I recognize that I am way off......

......occasionally, when the wife wanders in the room when I am bouncing around (dancing) to the music I just let her know I am getting some exercise.

Alley Cat posted:

...just comes alive...

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by TOBYJUG

Why Why Delilah' is a good one, but I usually sing it in tongues - that silly language that's ever evolving and what only I understand.  

seakayaker posted:

I sang more in my youth, at my age I recognize that I am way off......

......occasionally, when the wife wanders in the room when I am bouncing around (dancing) to the music I just let her know I am getting some exercise.

Now that's funny!

Now that's a good idea, with the dancing I mean, i'm not sure about the 'air guitaring' but i'm sure I've been caught at some stage or another and then just of broke into a back scratch or something silly like that, a Mr Bean moment maybe? 

Alley Cat posted:
It's odd, some songs you think will sound great on a high-end system actually don't sound as good, too clinical/sterile perhaps, but we have to remember most music is designed for the masses and expected to be played on average to mediocre equipment!

Yes I find this myself too.  This is where I think the recording plays a big role or that one's imagination is not quite what it turns out to be, even if the recording is half decent?

Or the other way round, when one doesn't expect much only then to be totally pleasantly surprised, even with music one is not keen on.

Most of you'll be OK for Tom Jones, but how many of you have the vocal range for Madonna or the Spice Girls (in the correct register!)?
(I can't either...   I can cover Tracy Chapman's range, but certainly not Paul Robeson)

TOBYJUG posted:

Why Why Delilah' is a good one, but I usually sing it in tongues - that silly language that's ever evolving and what only I understand.  

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by james n
Huge posted:

how many of you have the vocal range for Madonna or the Spice Girls?

Huge - the Spice Girls didn't have the vocal range in the first place so no worries there 

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by ChrisSU

Best cancel that upgrade you’ve been planning, Stephen, there is clearly no need for it! 

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by MDS

Singing along to Madonna is fine, Stephen, but you should probably avoid dressing like her, at least if there's a risk of the Missus walking in on you.  

Huge posted:

Most of you'll be OK for Tom Jones, but how many of you have the vocal range for Madonna or the Spice Girls (in the correct register!)?

Exactly Huge, I really can't sing at all but sometimes i'll let rip without realising and god help me, jeez...and forgetting SWMBO is just around the corner

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by Clive B

Try singing along with Minnie Ripperton in the song 'Loving You'. If you can get that top C (C7?) then you're probably wearing your son's trousers. 

Clive B posted:

Try singing along with Minnie Ripperton in the song 'Loving You'. If you can get that top C (C7?) then you're probably wearing your son's trousers. 

Haha, wow, don't want to get caught trying that one out Clive!

ChrisSU posted:

Best cancel that upgrade you’ve been planning, Stephen, there is clearly no need for it! 

Well i'm tempted Chris, but no I have been waiting too long now, I may prolong it to get Christmas out of the way first as I won't have the time but my heart is definitely set on a ND5 XS 2, that seed is well and truly sewn!

If the seed is well and truly sewn; then you've been well and truly stitched up!

Huge posted:

If the seed is well and truly sewn; then you've been well and truly stitched up!

Yes, you're right Huge, thanks again - I meant;

sown.