Hearing Loss

Posted by: Bryce Curdy on 09 October 2018

Move to Padded Cell forum if more appropriate.

Tomorrow is my 51st birthday and the 30th anniversary of my first Hi-Fi system.

Sadly my hearing isn't what it was back then.  I sometimes struggle with dialogue in films and dramas (quite variable) and have to turn up the volume on my TV as a result.  I'm not at the point of needing a hearing aid but wonder whether I might in 10 years time.

Are poor hearing and expensive Hi-Fi incompatible?  Is simply turning the volume up a satisfactory solution assuming the hearing loss is similar for different frequencies?  Where do hearing aids come into the equation, if at all?

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by ChrisSU
Bryce Curdy posted:

Are poor hearing and expensive Hi-Fi incompatible?

I think they are more or less complementary - as our hearing deteriorates, we improve out HiFi to compensate!

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Guinnless
ChrisSU posted:
Bryce Curdy posted:

Are poor hearing and expensive Hi-Fi incompatible?

I think they are more or less complementary - as our hearing deteriorates, we improve out HiFi to compensate!

You read my mind! 

To the OP it's worth getting your ears checked out professionally.

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Dave J

Audiophile hearing aids! There's got to be a market.... Naim could offer the Nova with their new "Noescuchar" for us older clients

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by dave marshall

I've had to wear electric ears for the last few years, but the upside at the time was that my audiologist was something of a music fan himself, so my hearing aids were programmed not only for everyday conversation, but have an additional two settings available for listening to music.

I have largely upper register hearing loss, inevitable with age unfortunately, but am still able to enjoy my music with these.

As to whether poor hearing and expensive hi-fi are incompatible?

I agree with Chrissu, and I have certainly maxed out my setup to compensate for my ageing ears, though I haven't yet investigated trialling some of the more upmarket hearing aids, which promise much improved performance, (on paper, at least).

ND555 v the latest all singing / dancing hearing aid ........... no contest! 

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Super

I've always suffered from tinnitus as far back as i can remember and it's got worse in recent years, but i won't let it get in the way of my music and hi-fi. 

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by dave marshall
Super posted:

I've always suffered from tinnitus as far back as i can remember and it's got worse in recent years, but i won't let it get in the way of my music and hi-fi.

Happily, once I started wearing hearing aids, I found that the tinnitus which had plagued me for years simply disappeared.

Worth considering, maybe?

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by feeling_zen
Super posted:

indeed. My tinnitus is awful. Started the day (hour minute and second) my firstborn arrived and never went away. Then with the second arrived a couple years later and it instantly went up an octave. It's sympathetic too so other than really quiet rooms (which to me sound like jet engines) certain frequencies really set it off.

And nevertheless, I had my hearing checked and I still have abnormally good hearing in terms of frequency response. And yet it all goes away if I listen to music on the main system.

I doubt it will ever be what it once was and given the volume I perceive the tinnitus as, it would constitute a major issue for most audiophiles, Yet it doesn't stop me hearing the differences made by a PowerLine. 

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Pcd

Bryce, the sound quality of most flat screen TVs is very poor due to the size and location of the speakers. I mounted a Samsung Sound bar under my wall mounted Samsung TV and find the sound to be excellent.

When you switch back to the standard TV speakers the sound is as you describe thin and slightly muffled depending on what you are listening to.

The TV is also connected to the Naim stereo which I can use for any music programmes.

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Beachcomber
Bryce Curdy posted:

I sometimes struggle with dialogue in films and dramas (quite variable) and have to turn up the volume on my TV as a result.  

It may not be your hearing at all - many people complain about this and I suspect a lot of it is that people on film and drama tend to mumble - plus the almost continual music being played as a background.  Sadly all the complaints fall on deaf ears.  Media creatives (horrible term) are always convinced that they are right and that the audience just don't understand/are too plebeian/whatever.  I have on many occasions tried re-running a bit of dialogue to figure out what was said, but neither I nor anyone with me can hear what's said.  Speakers are ATC SCM7 and amplifier is a Pioneer of some sort, so not fantastic, but not pedestrian either.

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Super

I agree with this, sometimes i put sub titles on, not because i can't hear when they are talking, it's just i can't make out what they are saying.

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Innocent Bystander

As a generalisation, as we get older our systems improve through upgrades primarily borne of availability of funds, until we end up with wahat for each of us is out ultimate system. The sad thing is that as we get older our ears deteriorate (some people’s more rapidly than, or differently from, others, but still happens) ...so we never get to hear what we’ve invested in at its best.

On the bright side, you cease to hear the annoying high pitched whine of some switched mode power supplies, light dimmers etc, and sound gets more mellow. Maybe you either won’t need to replace the tweeters if they blow (not that you’d know if they have), or you can live happily with speakers others say are too ‘bright’!

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Bryce Curdy
Pcd posted:

Bryce, the sound quality of most flat screen TVs is very poor due to the size and location of the speakers. I mounted a Samsung Sound bar under my wall mounted Samsung TV and find the sound to be excellent.

When you switch back to the standard TV speakers the sound is as you describe thin and slightly muffled depending on what you are listening to.

The TV is also connected to the Naim stereo which I can use for any music programmes.

I think that's only part of it.  Of the three TVs in the house only one uses the inbuilt speakers and you're right, it is the most guilty.  But the real problem is mumbling by the actors and actresses!  It's much easier to hear something if (like the actors, actresses and director) you already know the script!

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Beachcomber
Innocent Bystander posted:

As a generalisation, as we get older our systems improve through upgrades primarily borne of availability of funds, until we end up with wahat for each of us is out ultimate system. The sad thing is that as we get older our ears deteriorate (some people’s more rapidly than, or differently from, others, but still happens) ...so we never get to hear what we’ve invested in at its best.

On the bright side, you cease to hear the annoying high pitched whine of some switched mode power supplies, light dimmers etc, and sound gets more mellow. Maybe you either won’t need to replace the tweeters if they blow (not that you’d know if they have), or you can live happily with speakers others say are too ‘bright’!

I think a sensible and moral government would issue everyone with the funds to buy the best hifi that they want at - what? - aged 18 or so.  That seems only fair.  Then we can enjoy the best system with our bets ears.  Sensible people will buy something from Naim (a Statement system, I guess) which can be upgraded and serviced throughout their lives.  

Along with a good UBI.

I'd probably vote for such a government.  

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Pcd

Bryce, yes I understand where you are coming from I find a lot of programs as you describe on my Samsung Sound Bar I can adjust between music ,speech movies etc etc and various other settings which I have found to be invaluable on some programmes.

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Beachcomber posted:

I think a sensible and moral government would issue everyone with the funds to buy the best hifi that they want at - what? - aged 18 or so.  That seems only fair.  Then we can enjoy the best system with our bets ears.  Sensible people will buy something from Naim (a Statement system, I guess) which can be upgraded and serviced throughout their lives.  

Along with a good UBI.

I'd probably vote for such a government.  

Not sure about the upgrading part. Surely as we age we’d need to downgrade gradually, in step with our ears, and so releasing the better kit for the next generation - very sustainable.

However they’ll need to provide housing with a good size room to use it in.

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Mercky

most movies these days are post synced, ie, dialogue replaced afterwards (ADR) , even the higher end TV dramas too. Also movies are mixed for a 'theatrical' mix and for 5.1 so invariably they sound crap on a domestic tv unless a specific 'TV' mix was done

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Paper Plane

"I have largely upper register hearing loss, inevitable with age unfortunately, but am still able to enjoy my music with these."

Same here. Still can't always hear the TV though and suspect the 'mumbling' may be part of it.

steve

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by Rich 1

So I'm 65 + with high frequency hearing loss. Do as I did in my 50's, ask your GP to refer you to the Audiology Clinic, it's free as are NHS hearing aids, batteries and maintenance / replacement. My area use Oticon aids. Results are like a very expensive upgrade without any cost. If after several months or years you think your aids are no longer compensating, again ask for another referral. As others have said, make sure you tell the audi oligest to give you options for setting to improve hi Fi listening experience be aware that your brain will need time to get used to the extra information it's being supplied with. Like some others in this thread I have permanent tinnitus since birth, being as I thought it 'normal' and that everyone had it I never let it bother me. Another interesting development is the 'hearing aid' glasses at the National Theatre which will allow all shows to be captioned for the hard of hearing. Rich 

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by Skip

I had a female client in 2016 and could not understand her because her voice fell in the audible register where my hearing is most challenged.   I got a pair of Resound Lynx hearing aids which sync with my iPhone over bluetooth.  I can adjust the Resound for music, which has minimal processing, or restaurant, which has more digital enhancement.  I have been very happy with them and resisted them for too long.  They have a three year warranty and my office health care plan subsidizes the cost.    I can also route the sound of a phone call or music directly to the hearing aid.   That is handy for the phone but who wants to listen to music that way?  Not me.    

Since getting the hearing aids, I have upgraded to DR my 500 and 552, and upgraded my phono cartridge and a couple of cables.   I can hear the difference better than ever.   Check these out with an open mind.  Get them while you are young enough to enjoy them.   I wish I had done it sooner.  

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by TOBYJUG
Paper Plane posted:

"I have largely upper register hearing loss, inevitable with age unfortunately, but am still able to enjoy my music with these."

Same here. Still can't always hear the TV though and suspect the 'mumbling' may be part of it.

steve

The 'mumbling' is always present on American movies or TV drama series. Try watching 'Brokeback Mountain' without subtitles. Although everyone I know with hearing difficulties has no problem when watching either the BBC or other British news programmes. 

My partner wears those expensive micro jobs. Taken her a few years going back and forth to the vendor getting it just right.  Although at night without them in can still hear things keeping her from going to sleep that I had no idea of. Lucky that most who do suffer usually have that all important mid range still functioning as it should.

Posted on: 12 November 2018 by SamClaus

Just back from the audiologist, I typed "hearing aids" in the search window and found this interesting thread. My problem is with the upper register only, is there any brand in particular that you would recommend? I was told Phonak (a Swiss brand) was excellent.

Posted on: 12 November 2018 by notnaim man

Search for Russ Andrews magazine, Connected, issue 35, pages 24/25, an article refers to Oticon as a musical brand