Fish gobbler.

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 09 October 2018

I'm a real fishgobbler and great lover of all seafood and fish(apart from trout) and also love to cook do any forum members have any new and exciting ways of cooking seafood and fish for this hungry fish gobbler.

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Jonners
Bob the Builder posted:

I'm a real fishgobbler and great lover of all seafood and fish(apart from trout) and also love to cook do any forum members have any new and exciting ways of cooking seafood and fish for this hungry fish gobbler.

Me too Bob, in fact if I could be a piscivore, I probably would! One of the things I've been doing for the last few years is to take some of the ideas for barbequeing meat and applying to fish.

I generally use a good thick fillet of Salmon or Tuna, put it into a sandwich bag and add a little lemon juice, salt, pepper and a splash of olive oil followed by a good few shakes of Schwartz seasonings, usually Peri Peri, Cajun or a Tandoori spice mix and a few shakes of dried Chipotle Chilli Flakes or a few splashes of Tabasco Chipotle Sauce. Tie the bag, leave overnight and then into the oven at 180 for 20 minutes uncovered. This works really nicely for Prawns as well, as long as they're the sort you buy which need to be shelled and de-headed, usually Mozambique or Madagascan and sold in the frozen section of most supermarkets. Serve with whatever accompaniments you fancy.

Recently I have been experimenting with Risotto, crab and prawns, usually with mushrooms. Tons of variations available.

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://www.rd.com/food/fun/fi...uld-have-live-worms/

Interesting article about the possibility that some wild fish could have parasitic worms, and that are not killed off from cooking temperatures usually used with fish - so could be wriggling about as you eat !!      Unless the fish has been frozen for a few days.

Seems counterintuitive, as a fish lover myself, a fresh unfrozen wild fish is the top drawer.   Maybe the sustainable farmed ones are the best ??

For me nothing beats a simple fillet cut from the mid section of a whole side of Salmon,  griddle pan fried with crispy skin.

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Scallops, and Queen scallops, quick fried in butter until just cooked but lightly caramelled outside. Lobster, boiled and served minimalist with garlic butter (ditto king prawns - thise red Mediterranean ones especially. These all benefit from simplicity, not smothering with strong sauces - finger lickin’ good as they say.

Salmon, sea trout, sea bass, turbot, monkfish... all delicious cooked almost any way - a particular favourite way for salmon is with a commercial sauce called Gourmet Sauce.

Tuna steaks, Flash fried and served rare like beef steak, but with wasabi/soy sauce ...mmmmm.  

Freshly caught mackerel, raw, as sushi or sushimi: utterly delightful. Also tuna and salmon raw same way. Sushi is very easy and inexpensive to make at home, so we do that quite frequently. (If worried about worms freeze first.)

I remember flyfishing for rainbow trout in a reservoir in Sussex around 50 years ago as a 12-15 year old, permit allowed a maximum of four a day. Several days spent over about three or four summer holidays, only ever caught one. But lots of perch, and they were scrumptious simply fried in butter over a camp fire!

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by Jonners
Innocent Bystander posted:

Scallops, and Queen scallops, quick fried in butter until just cooked but lightly caramelled outside. Lobster, boiled and served minimalist with garlic butter (ditto king prawns - thise red Mediterranean ones especially. These all benefit from simplicity, not smothering with strong sauces - finger lickin’ good as they say.

Salmon, sea trout, sea bass, turbot, monkfish... all delicious cooked almost any way - a particular favourite way for salmon is with a commercial sauce called Gourmet Sauce.

Tuna steaks, Flash fried and served rare like beef steak, but with wasabi/soy sauce ...mmmmm.  

Freshly caught mackerel, raw, as sushi or sushimi: utterly delightful. Also tuna and salmon raw same way. Sushi is very easy and inexpensive to make at home, so we do that quite frequently. (If worried about worms freeze first.)

I remember flyfishing for rainbow trout in a reservoir in Sussex around 50 years ago as a 12-15 year old, permit allowed a maximum of four a day. Several days spent over about three or four summer holidays, only ever caught one. But lots of perch, and they were scrumptious simply fried in butter over a camp fire!

It's lunchtime and my mouth is simply watering reading this! Shame I have to make do with a sarnie.

FWIW, if anyone reading this lives or visits London I can heartily recommend a small chain of restaurants called Fishworks. They sell fresh fish and shellfish to take away which comes up from Brixham but the food is great and at very reasonable prices. Particularly good is their Bisque.

Ditto "The Jolly Fisherman" in Craister, Northumberland - a pub I've been going to for years on holiday. Famous for their Crab and Whisky Bisque, generous crab sarnies, chips fried in lard, fabulous seaside views and a wine list of regional French wines selected by the owner, an ex-Rugby international who spent a lot of time playing in the Frnech league.

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by dave marshall

A firm family favourite is kedgeree, made with "proper" smoked haddock, which my local fresh fish shop sources direct from Peterhead in Scotland, together with duck eggs for extra creaminess .............. yum.

Probably a wee bit off topic, but the 2018, "Best Fish & Chip Shop in UK" is a mere 10 mile drive from home. 

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by Tabby cat

Getting quite partial to Sushi lately.It makes for a good light snack.Kippers are a favourite especially if they are well grilled with lots of butter on them for breakfast.Likewise do like Haddock and bread and butter for dinner.

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by TOBYJUG

Garlic and herb marinated anchovies - the unsalted but slightly vinagared type at the deli counter - with Saint Agur or any quality creamy blue cheese together on crusty bread. Sounds a bit weird but lovely washed down with a favourite red wine.

Again, hardly a recipe, but fresh local Whitby crab, on granary bread and unsalted butter, plus a chilled glass of Pecorino.

Does it get any better? Nope. 

Tabby cat posted:

Getting quite partial to Sushi lately.It makes for a good light snack.Kippers are a favourite especially if they are well grilled with lots of butter on them for breakfast.Likewise do like Haddock and bread and butter for dinner.

When we have sushi we do as a full meal not a snack! (And my family can really pig out on it - in fact my older son opted for “sushi cake” instead of a sweet cake for his last birthday - a multi-tiered pyramid of assorted sushi with sushimi around the edge!

Meanwhile for me, kippers have to be the small ones with mostly very soft, edible bones - when they don’t really need cooking at all, just warming through - I dislike the hedgehog-tongue-producing big ones! !

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by Christopher_M
dave marshall posted:

Again, hardly a recipe, but fresh local Whitby crab, on granary bread and unsalted butter, plus a chilled glass of Pecorino.

There's a man who knows how to live, Dave

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by Bob the Builder
dave marshall posted:

Unsalted butter are you insane man, how about some unsmoked bacon and some ice cold alcohol free beer and some decaf coffee whilst your at it ????

Bob the Builder posted:
dave marshall posted:

Unsalted butter are you insane man, how about some unsmoked bacon and some ice cold alcohol free beer and some decaf coffee whilst your at it ????

Nah, I prefer most other food to be the "full fat" version, i.e.bacon always smoked, black coffee fresh out of the Jura, and as for alcohol free beer, you're 'avin' a larf.

The unsalted butter thing goes back to childhood days, when we always had the "real thing" from the corner dairy, patted up by hand, and wrapped in greaseproof paper ........... just can't see the point of the salted version. 

Smoky bacon? Spoils a bacon sarni (which needs to be white bread, butter (salted fine!) and unsmoked bacon, nothing else - but smoky bacon as lardons with queen scallops (whole with gonad) is another matter entirely!

Alcohol free beer? Can have a place if needing to drive (ice-cold to minimise noticing the difference) - but tap water is cheaper and nicer!.

Decaff  coffee? Maybe if you’re hypersensitive to caffeine (I’m immune - it doesn’t keep me awake no matter how much I have)

Unsalted butter? Given that it is more expensive to buy than salted, I am always bemused by recipes that say unsalted butter ...then proceed to add salt!

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by Bob the Builder

Some very fine ideas thank you again all can't wait to try some but an unsmoked bacon sarnie is just wrong!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Richard Dane

Speaking of crab, we have an excellent local fishmonger in Cranbrook who still gets properly hand-dressed crabs rather than the more common ones where the mix seems to have been blown in. We usually buy two as a weekend treat and a favourite and very easy recipe is to make crab lingune. 

You just boil up some lingune to whatever point you prefer (just don't overcook - yuck), meanwhile, finely chop up a chilli and some garlic, fry in olive oil over a medium heat for a minute or two, then add some white wine and reduce until the pasta is ready. Drain the pasta, add the crab to the pan and mix together with the chilli/garlic/wine reduction.  Once fully warmed through, add plenty of parsley and coriander.  Add a good pinch of salt, and a bit of pepper. Then add the lingune to the pan and mix together.  You may wish to add a bit more olive oil at this stage.  Then serve immediately, preferably accompanied by a glass of white wine (last weekend it was a 2013 Wither Hills Sauvignon Blanc).  Total preparation and cooking time from start to finish is around 15-20 minutes. Very easy.  Really delicious.

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by tonym
Bob the Builder posted:

I'm a real fishgobbler and great lover of all seafood and fish(apart from trout) ...

Being an (ex) trout angler, I did get fed up eating them after a while, but then learned that if you soak them in a brine solution, preferably overnight, it completely removes the rather "muddy" taste of yer typical British freshwater rainbow trout, & makes them quite delicious. I've got a small hot-smoker that also flavours trout, and anything else you cook in it, with that wonderful smoky flavour.

Posted on: 28 October 2018 by yeti42

For the fish gobblers I’d like to recommend the bouillabaisse at I’artimon in Palavas- Les- Flots on the Med just south of Montpellier. There needs to be at least 4 of you and you have to give a couple of days notice but they do a proper job of it. Take an appetite, you won’t be leaving hungry.

Posted on: 29 October 2018 by Jonners
Richard Dane posted:

Speaking of crab, we have an excellent local fishmonger in Cranbrook who still gets properly hand-dressed crabs rather than the more common ones where the mix seems to have been blown in. We usually buy two as a weekend treat and a favourite and very easy recipe is to make crab lingune. 

You just boil up some lingune to whatever point you prefer (just don't overcook - yuck), meanwhile, finely chop up a chilli and some garlic, fry in olive oil over a medium heat for a minute or two, then add some white wine and reduce until the pasta is ready. Drain the pasta, add the crab to the pan and mix together with the chilli/garlic/wine reduction.  Once fully warmed through, add plenty of parsley and coriander.  Add a good pinch of salt, and a bit of pepper. Then add the lingune to the pan and mix together.  You may wish to add a bit more olive oil at this stage.  Then serve immediately, preferably accompanied by a glass of white wine (last weekend it was a 2013 Wither Hills Sauvignon Blanc).  Total preparation and cooking time from start to finish is around 15-20 minutes. Very easy.  Really delicious.

That's almost word-for-word the exact same components I use for Crab & Chilli Risotto plus Prawns - yummy!

Posted on: 29 October 2018 by al9315

Quite simple recipe

Fillets of salmon wrapped with couple of rashers of parma ham with a slice of Jarlesberg cheese tucked in + a bay leaf - griddle - lovely !!!

Posted on: 29 October 2018 by Jonners
al9315 posted:

Quite simple recipe

Fillets of salmon wrapped with couple of rashers of parma ham with a slice of Jarlesberg cheese tucked in + a bay leaf - griddle - lovely !!!

I think Bay Leaves are a bit like the Government. You know they do something, you're just not sure exactly what it is.

Nice recipe - I'm going to give that a whirl for sure!

Posted on: 29 October 2018 by TOBYJUG

THE most massive amount in our oceans of edible creatures is the squid.   Although you don't find it much in our blighted part of the world in supermarkets and restaurants.

Those big ones marinated in white wine then scored , chargrilled or better BBQd for a few minutes and dressed with something nice is awesome with a crunchy salad.

Make it to an Asian supermarket and find a dried large squid, then put that on a BBQ or under the grill and with a chilled beer.

The best has to be from stir frying a little spring onion, ginger, chopped chilli and red pepper- with a few drops of fish sauce and sweet chilli sauce.    Using a large squid scored and cut or smaller ones sliced into Bite sized proportions with the tentacles. Drop into some cornflour then deep fry for a few minutes. Mix with the stir fry and serve on top of some crispy salad and a wedge of lime.

I once did monkfish with a squid and oxtail gravy, but that's for another time.