The TRUTH Why Modern Music Is Awful

Posted by: naim_nymph on 10 October 2018

Please don't shoot me, i'm just the messenger : )

This 20 minute YouTube clip is well worth a look at, and even though it may contain much you're already aware of, it's reassuring to know you are not alone in what you may think about modern music:

I would argue there is actually some very good music around today [ to include all genre ] but once you dial in the over-generalisation of typical mainstream pop i am 99% on board with what is said. I sometimes overhear my twenty-something neighbour's radio who often works outside while listening to BBC Radio 1, and i do wonder why so much contemporary pop sounds so awful but is still listened to : /

Debs

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by MDS

An interesting video. Thanks for posting it, Debs.

A lot of truth spoken there. I'd like to think that the current dumbing-down is a passing phase.  Manufactured 'Boy' and 'Girl' bands, the 'talent' TV shows etc obviously work commercially but the product seems thin and very temporary.  The argument of the record labels not wanting to take risks on non-formulaic new artists because of the high costs involved makes some sense.  However, I guess the counter-argument is that sound recording is now much cheaper these days and the reach to potential audiences through You Tube and social media far, far easier than it used to be.  Hopefully talented artists will find a way to project their work without reliance on the big corporates of the music industry.   

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by TOBYJUG

Every image has been imagined, everything that could be thought has been thunked. Everything that can be written has been wrought. every song has been sung.  Welcome to the post modern world.

Originality is something one can only dream about.

i have actually a lot of respect for those that have the balls to do it again.  Although with some personal effect rather than passing it through the random generator machine.

Posted on: 10 October 2018 by ricsimas

He complains of lack of originality but then cites the Beatles as his reference multiple times?

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Tabby cat

Funny enough I was having a conversation with a work colleague yesterday and i was saying I hadn't a clue what's in the singles charts anymore and had been like that for years.Hats off to New bands who strive to develop their music and image and are not big record label investments like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga with their sublimalal satanic messages in their videos.As for Little Mix and all the talent show stuff it just makes me cringe.But if you like it that's all that matters.Not my cup of tea at all.

What are you listening to on the forum is a good reflection on perhaps our age as posters as most of the time members post artists from 1960 - 2010.

Great comments Toby and Mike......big +1  guys

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Ardbeg10y
TOBYJUG posted:

Every image has been imagined, everything that could be thought has been thunked. Everything that can be written has been wrought. every song has been sung.  Welcome to the post modern world.

Toby, its why I think Banksy is a real great artist - an original act:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/ar...-balloon-print-just/

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by TOBYJUG
Ardbeg10y posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

Toby, its why I think Banksy is a real great artist - an original act:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/ar...-balloon-print-just/

One time where that random generator machine just shredded it.  

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Dave***t
MDS posted:

The argument of the record labels not wanting to take risks on non-formulaic new artists because of the high costs involved makes some sense.

I read an interesting thought about such models earlier.  It was about the impending move to streaming for video games.  A way of yet for technological reasons, but definitely looking like it's on the cards.

The point the author made was that it would likely see a big increase in investment in games development, because the same thing happened to video entertainment with the arrival of Netflix etc.  Risk-averse big production companies were no longer able to keep things safe but a bit crap, because of the inrush of cash from Netflix etc making a new era of quality, more risky production by newer, more independent programme makers possible.  Cue creative boom, cue a jump in quality TV.

I'm not positive I agree entirely, but there's some plausibility to it.  But in music, the spread of streaming hasn't had the same effect.  Spotify etc have probably, if anything, shrunk the overall total money pot, or at least further restricted it to the already big players.  It's just a fucntion of the margins they pay out and the model for allocation.  So there's no analogous creation of a new level of producers - be that well-funded bands or independent labels, probably more accurate to say the latter - with sufficient reach to force a change to the safe-but-crap mainstream status quo.

There are counterexamples to this, of course - Grime, for one - but it's something to think about.