Heeelp! Loud crackling and popping

Posted by: GraemeH on 13 October 2018

First thing this morning and without music playing my right channel started a very loud continous  crackling and poppinng from standby. I powered down and took the XPSDR out to eliminate that. Powered on the 250DR, just a hiss, then switched on the 272...loud crackling and popping back, so it’s all off now.

Any clues folks?

Thanks

G

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by yeti42

That’ll be the 272 playing up then. First stop is your dealer whether it’s under warranty or not.

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by HiFiman

This is a worrying development Graeme and sorry to hear you are having issues with the 272.

Do you have a different DIN to xlr you can try, also if you plug headphones in do you hear the crackling sound.

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by David Hendon

Turn it all off. Unplug and replug in all the cables a couple of times and turn it on again. If it still crackles then I think it is indeed the 272 asking for a holiday in Salisbury, where it will no doubt admire the cathedral spire while it's at it.

best

David

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by Bill & Josi

Sounds very familiar. Was dry joints somewhere in the 272 fixed by resoldering by Chris Murphy of Real Music here in NZ.

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by GraemeH

Dealer thinks the Dac so it’s off to see the magnificent 123m spire...Fantastic service though as I have a loaner demo model to see me through the winter nights.

I was most concerned for my Tab 10 which sounded awful with the noise going through them, but all ok.

Thanks folks.

G

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by HiFiman

Hope the unit is still under some form of warranty parts/labour sounds an expensive fix.

Main thing is the sounds are still flowing in the H household with the loaner unit.

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by jsaudio

Same thing happened to me with 272 after some lightening but completely fixed with a reboot. Was told that the “logic card was scrambled”

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by GraemeH

Waiting in this morning for my 272 to return from its sightseeing trip to Salisbury - Just in time for Christmas.

Big thanks to Robbie for the loaner unit these past two months.

G