Little things, and why didn't I do it sooner?

Posted by: Alley Cat on 13 October 2018

Struggled installing a dishwasher this afternoon.

Cheap as chips Beko model I picked up from Currys to replace an older expensive Miele that leaked!

We've been months without one, and I have to say this is one domestic device that makes a huge difference.

So much so, I may have the green light for the NDX 2 

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by Alley Cat

I'm strengthening my argument by playing loads of Erasure songs via Roon, she hasn't stopped singing in hours....

Posted on: 15 October 2018 by Pcd

Might take a new washing machine as well to clinch the new NDX2

Posted on: 15 October 2018 by Alley Cat
Pcd posted:

Might take a new washing machine as well to clinch the new NDX2

Posted on: 16 October 2018 by Alley Cat
Adam Meredith posted:
Alley Cat posted:

Cheap as chips Beko model I picked up from Currys to replace a ..... 

I hope that's not one of their range that doubles as an oven.

This may be a recurrent thread.

Any safety issues? Links Adam?  I thought it was Indesit/Hoover products mainly.

The dishwasher - it's temporary to be honest as our builder f'd up installing the kitchen and didn't leave a 600mm enclosure, but matched the old Miele dishwasher at around 598mm - fortunately the Beko just about fits - there were other options at around 595mm but they were considerably more expensive.

10 years ago we got top of the range Miele washing machines and tumble dryers for around £2000 - yes they last but when there's an issue eg carbon brushes needed replacing in tumble dryer and call out fee plus parts/labour just outside the 5 year warranty was quite expensive - I can see why people regard white goods products as rather disposable these days.

I got a Beko tumble dryer 2 years ago for around £200 when we were out of our home and it's almost as good as the considerably more expensive Miele, perhaps a little louder. Also got one for my parents.

It's interesting to look at kitchen goods in Currys etc as many look identical internally with differing fascias but ultimately widely differing prices simply for cosmetic changes.

Posted on: 16 October 2018 by Gazza

The a Koch group in Turkey make a lot of white goods , Beko etc...my Smeg fridge/ freezer came from Turkey, probably built by Beko / Koch group. They also build a lot of commercial vehicles we buy in Europe....they own refineries, these are smart people.

Posted on: 16 October 2018 by Drewy

I hear they’re getting into Hifi. 

Posted on: 16 October 2018 by Mike Hughes

Thing is with Miele there is very rarely an issue. Our washer is 13 years old. Still waiting fir the 1st issue. Still ludicrously quiet.

Posted on: 16 October 2018 by Jonners

I recently bought something for less than £10 which has improved my quality of life no end - a " fridge tidy". This is a clear plastic oblong box which sits on a shelf in my fridge, into which I put cheese, yoghurts, drink cans and other items. No more having to fiddle around pulling out stuff and then rearranging the shelf every time I want something - I just hoik out the box.

Posted on: 17 October 2018 by Alley Cat
Adam Meredith posted:
Alley Cat posted:
Any safety issues? Links Adam?  I thought it was Indesit/Hoover products mainly.

... got a Beko tumble dryer 2 years ago for around £200 when we were out of our home and it's almost as good as the considerably more expensive Miele 

Sorry to cause concern. I think I had revived an ancient memory (and prejudice) against the brand -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=hgnHW_7uLYOLsAGci6TADg&q=beko+safety&oq=beko+safety&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i22i30k1l9.3215.11149.0.14074.11.10.0.1.1.0.85.653.10.10.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.11.661...0i131k1.0.quDIYZWIFZQ 

Thanks - I don't think mine are there!

Posted on: 17 October 2018 by Bob the Builder

We don't have room for a dishwasher in our terraced house which only has a small galley kitchen but they do seem a bit pointless as by the time you have rinsed washing up off,  loaded it in and added the powder/tablet you could have just washed it up.

Posted on: 17 October 2018 by Timmo1341
Bob the Builder posted:

We don't have room for a dishwasher in our terraced house which only has a small galley kitchen but they do seem a bit pointless as by the time you have rinsed washing up off,  loaded it in and added the powder/tablet you could have just washed it up.

Agreed, if you’re only washing up a couple of items. However the whole point is that you accumulate a couple of days worth, which would take you a fair while to do manually (or after a dinner party or gathering). In 25 years of dishwasher ownership (2 machines, second, a Miele, still going strong after 15 years) we’ve never rinsed plates or cups, simply scraped solids into the bin. Another benefit is they wash at much higher temperatures than even Marigold clad hands can bear. To some they may be a luxury, I class them alongside a washing machine as a necessity!

Posted on: 17 October 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

2/3rds width Miele machine fits into our small kitchen perfectly for the two of us.

My wife tells me it is more environmentally friendly in terms of water and energy usage, and the detergents used may also be better for biodegradability (and you use less) than hand washing.

One added bonus is less breakages of glass and crockery than using a sink and drainer.

Bruce

Posted on: 18 October 2018 by Derek Wright

plus a lot of  the time the sun provides the electricity to run the machine. So the only cost is the detergent/powder and the water.

Posted on: 18 October 2018 by Pev

I only use the dishwasher when we have guests. I actually enjoy washing up if there's just the two of us - after a long career in research it's nice to do something that has a tangible result!

Posted on: 18 October 2018 by ChrisR_EPL
Timmo1341 posted:
Bob the Builder posted:

Agreed, if you’re only washing up a couple of items. However the whole point is that you accumulate a couple of days worth, which would take you a fair while to do manually (or after a dinner party or gathering). In 25 years of dishwasher ownership (2 machines, second, a Miele, still going strong after 15 years) we’ve never rinsed plates or cups, simply scraped solids into the bin. Another benefit is they wash at much higher temperatures than even Marigold clad hands can bear. To some they may be a luxury, I class them alongside a washing machine as a necessity!

The debate between washing up & using a dishwasher seems to be as divisive as Brexit on the internet, positions firmly entrenched on both sides. Fwiw I've read a few and even bothered to get involved occasionally; apparently modern dishwashers have sensors that gauge the amount of waste on the crockery and are more efficient & produce better results with dirtier plates. Rinsing is counter-productive. The opposite side of that coin is me repeatedly trying to get our two to grasp that the dishwasher is not a waste disposal unit; at least remove the lumps & bits first.

Personally I find nothing duller than washing up. Loading the d/w during the day & evening keeps the kitchen clean, put it on last thing at night to come on 3 hours later and wake to a spotless wash that takes as long to pack away as the kettle takes to boil for the morning brew. As our man here said, we dont even begin to think that handwashing clothes is a good or efficient use of time. Crockery & cutlery is the same.

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by Alley Cat
Bob the Builder posted:

With small volumes perhaps but the 4 of us generate loads of washing up each day, dishwasher goes on at least once a day.

I dare say it's far easier washing by hand if you've got hot running water in the kitchen (currently cold only - don't ask!), there's also the fact that when we had the kitchen refurbished we wanted a nice deep Belfast type sink - unfortunately compromises had to be made, there was no room in the unit, and we stupidly got a '1 1/2' sink with the main bowl being quite tiny - too narrow to soak a dinner plate flat!  Fine for the occasional rinse but a nightmare with loads of stuff to wash.

Dishwashers are also great for really cleaning up cups/mugs, getting rid of weeks of accumulated tea/coffee stains, presumably due to the detergents and likely bleaching agents.

We tended to share manual washing up but the other half occasionally gets dermatitis from doing too much, so for some people there are real benefits to reducing contact with detergents/water.

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by Alley Cat
Mike Hughes posted:

Thing is with Miele there is very rarely an issue. Our washer is 13 years old. Still waiting fir the 1st issue. Still ludicrously quiet.

Good machines but not sure we've had the best of luck.

We had free extended 5, 5 and 10 year warranties on our Miele dishwasher (previously Bosch until it conked out), tumble dryer and washing machine respectively.

I had to replace a part in the Miele dishwasher (some kind of ball valve device below the 'filter' which was leaking) as water was not circulating properly, arms not spinning well, this was at around 6 years, shortly after it developed a leak from somewhere not prevented by the bulky device at the end of the inlet hose.  The dishwasher rarely dried crockery that well.

The tumble dryer became incredibly noisy after 6-7 years - some carbon bushes had worn down and needed replacing I think. £200 or so to fix I think.   Next the condenser unit failed with loss of integrity of the rubber seals which had become too flat to make the unit waterproof - yes another leak and £250 for a replacement condenser unit after paying for an engineer visit which failed to fix the problem.

The washing machine used to be very quiet but is now incredibly noisy - in 2 minds whether or not to get them to look at it out of warranty (2007 purchase), perhaps something has come loose inside when it was moved around by the builders (who almost chucked the transport rods that fell off in a skip!!).  Grey rubber seal has a small hole brewing too.

I'd certainly buy another Miele, but some of the cheaper white goods do seem to be utter bargains if they get the job done.

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by Mulberry

One thing I know for sure is that the good wages payed by Miele made the sale of an Aro possible. A friend of mine works in the dishwasher factory and bought mine 

And before anyone wonders, yes we have a Miele dishwasher in our new kitchen.