Appreciation of a fine system

Posted by: SB on 19 October 2018

I will admit that I have had a couple of beers. Came home having not listened to my vinyl setup for a few weeks. Spun up a disk and gobsmacked how good it sounds. SN1, Hicap-DR, stageline, Michell Orbe SE, audiomods arm, Goldring 1042,  Dynaudio Audience 50's . Not a top flight system by a long way, but boy does it sound good.. Happy days. 

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by TOBYJUG

There are those times when everything seems to fall together.  Like going out for a meal and realising that you had already subconsciously decided what you were going to order long before you arrived, and really enjoyed it.    Other times were not sure what to order and left disappointed with what you did.   Many things can run like this in every day day to day living.....but hifi should be that special place where you know what's what and that enjoyment is at least subject to just sitting down with some time on the table.

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by SongStream

I can relate to that.  Same thing happens to me everyday.  Except on Wednesday evening, an hour or so after I'd flown home from Glasgow; aeroplanes mess up my ears.  

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by nigelb

Yep, I have had times when I have been stunned by the SQ of my rig, and other times of mild disappointment.

It is always fun to speculate if these variable impressions are a result of actual changes (e.g. variable mains quality) or are psychological reactions (e.g. due to changes in mood), or a combination of both.

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by SB

Been vaguely thinking about changing the speakers as they are now the oldest component in the system, but on tonight's experience no need .

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by nigelb

Think how much money you have saved, SB!

We did go to listen to the Statement with top flight Dynaudio at Audio-T some time ago. Came back home and listened to our setup with some trepidation, but pleased to say we were not disappointed .

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by Mike Sullivan
nigelb posted:

Think how much money you have saved, SB!

More money for the beer!

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by Mike Sullivan
SB posted:

I will admit that I have had a couple of beers. Came home having not listened to my vinyl setup for a few weeks. Spun up a disk and gobsmacked how good it sounds. SN1, Hicap-DR, stageline, Michell Orbe SE, audiomods arm, Goldring 1042,  Dynaudio Audience 50's . Not a top flight system by a long way, but boy does it sound good.. Happy days. 

What type of beer?  Source first.....

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by TOBYJUG
Mike Sullivan posted:
SB posted:

https://cdn.aldi-digital.co.uk/McEwan's-Champion-Ale-A.jpg?o=6g%40w21AZdszmEzDxUawykvPcbxcj&V=kRis

No need for a power supply with this one, let alone two of them to bring out the best ( that would be asking for trouble from the Doc).

Mike Sullivan posted:
SB posted:

Shameless plug for OXBREW, a small brewery in Oxfordshire, who now have an excellent micropub under the same name in Witney. The brew some fantastic beers, including a superb red ale, which we were enjoying last night.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by nigelb

I own a pub, so don't get me started on beer.

I do agree though that a bevvy (or three) always makes my system sound superb. Pretty cheap upgrade compared to, say, a posh power supply.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by michael17

“Not a top flight system” but a much better than most people use. I always find alcohol improves audio quality and one’s emotional commection to good music.  Listening late at night the mains electricity is also cleaner.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Well the way the tax on beer keeps going up in the UK, it won’t be long before a posh powersupply is the cheaper option....

But this is one of my fave tipples right now.. thankfully served in the village pub and affordable.. available also for home consumption in unpasteurised kegs and pasteurised bottles... but the best beer in my book should always be and tastes best unpasteurised 

6F41A6F8-5A32-45A8-B099-E09C39657ED0

Allegedly Mr Sheeran’s favourite too when at the Railway Inn in Framingham... perhaps it helps him with his toones.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Mike Sullivan

Currently enjoying an unfiltered IPA from McLeods, Waipu, Northland, NZ. Heading for a Tidal head-phone session on the Nova in the comfy chair whilst the girls go to be bed. The UC2/A60 project can wait for tomorrow now.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by PaulM160

....turning out to be a nice alternative to "what wine are you drinking" thread!....also very much agree with Nigel's statement, sometimes good, sometimes not so good - and the reason is beyond my ability to explain.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Johnell
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Well the way the tax on beer keeps going up in the UK, it won’t be long before a posh powersupply is the cheaper option....

But this is one of my fave tipples right now.. thankfully served in the village pub and affordable.. available also for home consumption in unpasteurised kegs and pasteurised bottles... but the best beer in my book should always be and tastes best unpasteurised 

Allegedly Mr Sheeran’s favourite too when at the Railway Inn in Framingham... perhaps it helps him with his toones.

Back in the mid 80s I regularly used to cycle with my mates from Ipswich to Earl Soham to drink this when it was brewed in a shed behind The Victoria pub, it's a great session beer.

My all-time favourite brewery has to be Adnams which I've been drinking for about 45 years now.  I'm currently enjoying their Mosaic Pale Ale and Dry Hopped Lager.

Tipple of choice when I'm listening to music is a single malt, any one of at least half a dozen that are sitting in the sideboard.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by nigelb
Johnell posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Back in the mid 80s I regularly used to cycle with my mates from Ipswich to Earl Soham to drink this when it was brewed in a shed behind The Victoria pub, it's a great session beer.

My all-time favourite brewery has to be Adnams which I've been drinking for about 45 years now.  I'm currently enjoying their Mosaic Pale Ale and Dry Hopped Lager.

Tipple of choice when I'm listening to music is a single malt, any one of at least half a dozen that are sitting in the sideboard.

Now that is what I call a bender! Respect.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by yeti42
Johnell posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

I keep it down to 3 opened malts, they start to lost flavour once opened. Glen Scotia is the star of the three at the moment.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Mike Sullivan

Adnams! now we’re talking! Fond memories of my Old Blighty days.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Ardbeg10y

I cannot get around the impression that the SuperNait is for beer drinkers whilst the Nait XS is more for wine lovers.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Johnell
yeti42 posted:

I keep it down to 3 opened malts, they start to lost flavour once opened. Glen Scotia is the star of the three at the moment.

To be honest I've never noticed that, maybe because mine are stored in the dark and tend not to be open for longer than a few weeks.  

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by yeti42

I don’t get through the stuff that quickly, a few weeks doesn’t do much harm but by 6 months it’s another matter, not many reach that mark if I stick to 3.

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by Ardbeg10y

A shameless pointer to my own pseudonym here.

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by yeti42
Ardbeg10y posted:

No longer the bargain it once was.

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by Ardbeg10y
yeti42 posted:
Ardbeg10y posted:

No longer the bargain it once was.

Indeed I mostly drink different brands these days but Ardbeg was my first real Whisky in the nineties. It was like Naim after regular hifi.