What cheese are you eating today ?

Posted by: TOBYJUG on 19 October 2018

Since you lot were ok with me restarting the thread about what wine you are drinking, I thought maybe I could try a new thread about the nice cheeses you are all eating. Of course one can not consume cheese everyday, along with wine.

Cheese is cheese and wine is wine, and most would argue that there's more wine in the wide world than cheese.  Perhaps more wine lovers than cheese lovers.

Eating cheese might not reciprocate a following urge for others like for like to help listening, although some real stinkers have made me feel a bit dizzy.

Posted on: 19 October 2018 by Kiwi cat

I am enjoying a creamy Gorgonzola tonight. Good with a Sauternes, and not stinky! You are welcome to come to Wellington to share it Tobyjug!

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Pev

I can and do consume cheese every day 

Lye Cross Cheddar for me - the Tasty is the nicest (and cheapest) version of the several they make. Best of all it is made right next door to my house - I can see the factory as I sit here on my sofa.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Mr Fjeld

Cheese is lovely! Had a piece of camembert and a bottle of Cidre Bouche 2015  from Dupont yesterday. 

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by TOBYJUG

I think in a past life I must have been a curd hurdler. Looking at all that curd and whey just makes me feel hungry and wishing I could drain up those cloths.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Richard Dane

I find cheese very hard to resist. I almost always pick cheese after a meal in preference to pudding. Right now in the house there is some organic aged cheddar (can't recall the farm, but it's lovely), some aged Comte that is disappearing fast, and a Manchego of some variety or other. Christmas is always a joyous time for cheese lovers like myself.  I usually treat myself to a round of stilton, and Father Christmas normally gives me a Tete de Moine, which makes for a nice contrast. I probably eat too much cheese, but it is one of animal-kinds great gifts to us.  I may well need to cut back, but I tell myself that eating Porridge every morning keeps the cholesterol under control...

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Stevee_S

My name is Steve and I'm a cheeseaholic. The fridge and cool larder always has (as a minimum) a variety of cheddars (usual strong and punchy), St. Agur, Roquefort, Manchego, Swiss hard cheeses and vintage Dutch Gouda and the like lurking in the depths. Like Richard, I'm hoping the porridge, exercise and red wine keep the cholesterol at bay, the usual tests seem to show that so far is so good... 

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Fabio 1

Gorgonzola for me too this evening.Kiwi Cat,may I know the wine you are tasting?I am opening a Ripasso della Valpolicella.

Oh,I'll have a Pecorino from Sardinia too,non a very aged one,of course.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by TK421

Everyone knows the moon is made of cheese!

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Stevee_S
TK421 posted:

Everyone knows the moon is made of cheese!

But is it Wensleydale?! 

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by TK421

I'm going to say no, as I work in Caerphilly.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Kiwi cat
Fabio 1 posted:

Gorgonzola for me too this evening.Kiwi Cat,may I know the wine you are tasting?I am opening a Ripasso della Valpolicella.

HiFabio, it was Rieussec 2000. I am sure the rich Ripasso would have been lovely as well. We are fortunate to have an Italian cheese stall at the local Saturday markets, so we are very lucky here cheese-wise.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Christopher_M

Frankly, how any of this can be discussed without reference to quince jelly, oatcakes and something Monbazilliac-ish is beyond me ;-)

Davidstow mature cheddar here, on special at my corner shop.

Kiwi cat posted:
Fabio 1 posted:

HiFabio, it was Rieussec 2000. I am sure the rich Ripasso would have been lovely as well. We are fortunate to have an Italian cheese stall at the local Saturday markets, so we are very lucky here cheese-wise.

Kiwi Cat,I see.Thank you very much.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by DBS-Al

Dairylea on toast but when I'm out up at Hawes in the Yorkshire Dales I always pop into the factory where they make Wensleydale and pick some up. Quite a few varieties to choose from as well.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Loki
Richard Dane posted:

I find cheese very hard to resist. I almost always pick cheese after a meal in preference to pudding. Right now in the house there is some organic aged cheddar (can't recall the farm, but it's lovely), some aged Comte that is disappearing fast, and a Manchego of some variety or other. Christmas is always a joyous time for cheese lovers like myself.  I usually treat myself to a round of stilton, and Father Christmas normally gives me a Tete de Moine, which makes for a nice contrast. I probably eat too much cheese, but it is one of animal-kinds great gifts to us.  I may well need to cut back, but I tell myself that eating Porridge every morning keeps the cholesterol under control...

Sadly the hedonistic lifestyles of the gods has lead to a royal line of inherited high cholesterol which means all cheese consumption is a guilty pleasure. However, the introduction of a daily bowl of oats had a sensational effect on the bad stuff over a year, which is why I can treat myself at Yule and Eastertide and other high holy days Love life? Love porridge!

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Kiwi cat

Thank god for oats and Atorvastatin. Cholesterol less than 4.0mmol/l and you’re set!

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by Fabio 1

Torvast 20 for me...

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by Campmusic

Another thumbs up for medication: simvastatin in my case.  I soak my oats overnight and supplement this regimen with dog walks and mild exercise on my rowing machine. 

I tend towards local cheeses; my dog came from Brinkworth  dairy farm, so I eat their Blue, but I’m partial to the five varieties or so of single Gloucester available here in the Cotswolds. At the moment Jonathan Crump’s are on the cheese board.

As for wine, I’m with Kiwicat, although at the weekend I enjoyed a 2010 Château Talaise, which I was afraid would be past its best, but matched the Gloucesters well.

An aside: the Salutation Arms at Berkeley holds a cheese evening on the last Thursday of the month. Of course, they serve beer and cider with their cheeses. I believe this Thursday they have 3 Sardinian cheeses on show.

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by notnaim man

There is always cheddar in the fridge, the real stuff with rind that satisfies the description "with a nutty flavour".

This weekend I have been snacking on the odd pieces before starting anything new, so Old Winchester, Parmesan, Irish vintage Gouda (really, it was on offer in a market), Buchette Miel Fleurs and mature Wyfe of Bath (a local one - Bath Soft Cheese Company, their cafe if recommended for cheeseboard and cake).

Waiting to start - Hawes Wensleydale, Belton Red Fox and Quickes Goats Milk Cheddar.

Recently taken a liking to Guinness Hop House 13 Lager. There is a bottle of Lidl Zinfandel rose and I'm a Pravastatin man.  

On the occasion that I can find it Gjestost is a treat

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/media.redmart.com/newmedia/460x/i/m/3073781099188_0021_1524196949482.jpg

Mostly always have these in the fridge.

Surprisingly pokey considering its a snack aimed for children.

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by Jonners
TOBYJUG posted:

https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/media.redmart.com/newmedia/460x/i/m/3073781099188_0021_1524196949482.jpg

Mostly always have these in the fridge.

Surprisingly pokey considering its a snack aimed for children.

And they are fitted with their own little prophylactic, so educational as well. 

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by Cbr600

Would recommend trying this Gubeen cheese from Ireland.

Except for Steve, who needs to take the seven steps.

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by ChrisSU

Living in the wilds of North Wales, finding decent cheese is not that easy, and the plastic wrapped stuff in the supermarkets is usually disappointing. I am usually charged with choosing the cheeseboard for our extended family Christmas gathering, which I sometimes used to get from a rather nice cheese shop in Chester, but that seems to have gone downhill recently. I might even have to resort to buying it online this year. 

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by Jonners

If I ever want to say it with cheese, I order online from Pong (pongcheese.co.uk). They have a great selection and I've enjoyed every cheese I've ordered and so have the people I've sent gift boxes to over the years. Highly recommended.