R.E.M. at the BBC

Posted by: JedT on 24 October 2018

What should pop up on Tidal last thursday but this. Listened to 5 hours of it straight through that night. Bloody good. You have to love the BBC engineers who always do a brilliant job. Stumbled on the Las at the BBC on Tidal earlier in the year which sounds stunning.

The R.E.M. boxed set is a mixture of concerts and live studio recordings. I think my favourite is a gig at Nottingham Rock City from 1984 - great recording of the young band sounding like they were having great fun and surprisingly funky. I always think Stipe sounds better live than on on the studio releases.

Wish I'd seen them more often but Manchester Apollo on the Green tour in 1988 (or 1989?) is possibly at the top of my best gigs list.  

Posted on: 24 October 2018 by AndyP19

I had to make the call in 1988 to see REM on the Green tour or 10,000 Maniacs. I chose the latter and never looked back - best decision I ever made.

Posted on: 24 October 2018 by GerryMcg
JedT posted:

What should pop up on Tidal last thursday but this. Listened to 5 hours of it straight through that night. Bloody good. You have to love the BBC engineers who always do a brilliant job. Stumbled on the Las at the BBC on Tidal earlier in the year which sounds stunning.

The R.E.M. boxed set is a mixture of concerts and live studio recordings. I think my favourite is a gig at Nottingham Rock City from 1984 - great recording of the young band sounding like they were having great fun and surprisingly funky. I always think Stipe sounds better live than on on the studio releases.

Wish I'd seen them more often but Manchester Apollo on the Green tour in 1988 (or 1989?) is possibly at the top of my best gigs list.  

I saw them in 1987 with The Call and X, excellent show. Was surprised how small Natalie Mechant was when she pushed past me on the way to the stage.

Posted on: 24 October 2018 by Hook

JEDT -  Thanks for the heads-up on this!  Am listening right now to last year’s remaster of Automatic For The People, also through Tidal.  Such a good album!

Posted on: 25 October 2018 by count.d

Shame the 2lp vinyl only has a selection of tracks.