???? Tony Joe White, ‘Polk Salad Annie’ Singer, Dies at 75 ????

Posted by: Peder on 25 October 2018

???? The Music Legend Has Left Us ????

Swamp-rocker Tony Joe White,a cult-favorite singer/songwriter whose songs were covered by everyone from Elvis Presley to Tina Turner,died Wednesday at 75.

White had just released his latest album,“Bad Mouthin’,” on the Yep Rock label Sept. 28 and had made his debut on the Grand Ole Opry that same night.

“He wasn’t ill at all,”his son, Jody White, told the Tennessean.”
He just had a heart attack…there was no pain or suffering.
The Louisiana native died at his home in Leipers Fork,Tennessee,outside of Nashville.

White recorded more than 20 albums,beginning in 1969,
But had his only serious brush with the charts as a performer with “Polk Salad Annie,” which reached No. 8 in 1969.
The song became even better known as a staple of Presley’s repertoire,showing up in Elvis’ live albums and concert movies in the early 70s.

Another early composition became an even bigger hit via a popular cover version,as Brook Benton’s version of “Rainy Night in Georgia” reached No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 and topped the soul chart in 1970.

???? Read the full article from Variety below.

https://variety.com/2018/music...mp;utm_id=1202994735

/Peder 

Posted on: 25 October 2018 by Peder

There are beginning to be many great Music Legends that have left us the last year.

Below write Variety about Tony You White,..at the bottom there is a link to the entire article.

???? RIP Tony You White,you leave a big void after you.
----------------------------------------------------------------

? The text above would enter the beginning of my first post, but these 15 minutes to have time to change had passed by two minutes.

I have previously suggested to Richard to extend these 15 minutes to 20 or 30 minutes.
This would make it easier for us who do not have English as their mother tongue.

Out of respect for Tony You White...We are not discussing this any more in this thread.

/Peder

Posted on: 25 October 2018 by dave marshall

RIP Tony Joe, a true original.

Posted on: 26 October 2018 by Dan Steel

Very sad news, I’ve enjoyed his music over the years. RIP

Posted on: 26 October 2018 by French Rooster

i enjoy his music very much too. Sad news.   My favorite album is Homemade Icecream.

Posted on: 26 October 2018 by FangfossFlyer

R.I.P.

He has left a fine legacy of music for us all to enjoy.

Richard

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by kevin J Carden

Sad to hear this. He was unique. I own 5 or 6 of his albums and play them often. I saw him live at Club Quattro in Tokyo 10 years ago. Just him, a beaten up old Stratocaster into a Fender Bassman and a drummer. Superb. The memory of his rendition that night of ‘Even Trolls love Rock & Roll’ will live in my memory forever. 

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by ewemon

Missed this sad news. A true legend.

Posted on: 28 October 2018 by Peder

This is a fun story below,.between Tony You White and Tina Turner.
It is taken from the link in my first post.

In that link there are also two songs by Tony You White,..one is when he plays together with…
?Foo Fighters at David Letterman.?

The commentary afterward by David Letterman has become classical..It must you listen to.!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Here below,..Tony meets Tina for the first time….

?He’d previously appeared at the Grammy Museum in 2016,when the Los Angeles Times recounted some of the stories he told from the stage.

One of them involved meeting Tina Turner in 1989,..when she was devoting a good portion of her album to his material (four songs).
“I walked into her dressing room,and she was putting on her makeup.
And she looked into the mirror and just started laughing.”..White said.

It went on for quite a long time.
Finally she said,..”And all this time,I thought you were black!”?

Tony You White was a big fan of Tina Turner,..he wrote four of the songs for her Success-album "Foreign Affair".
Tony You White also played lead-guitar and harmonica on these four songs on the album.

It was Tina Turner who made Tony You White "rediscovered world wide",..and with her success,the money started rolling into Tony's bank account as a songwriter.
Tony was very grateful to Tina for this.
????????????????????????
The Album:
FOREIGN AFFAIR

The First Week Of Release.
• Debut #1 In The U.K.
• Debut #1 In Germany.
• Debut #1 In Denmark.
• Debut #1 In Switzerland.
• Debut #1 On The Pan-European Chart.
• 1,1 Million Shipped Outside The U.S.

• Shipped Gold In The U.S.

• Platinum In Canada First Week.

The Single:
THE BEST
• Already Top 5 In 12 Countries Internationally after one week.

So you can understand that Tony You White was thankful,..and laughed all the way to the bank.

Tony You White also write/recorded a song dedicated to Tina,..where he sings Tina's name several times in the text.
That song is located at the bottom of this post.

According to me,..A very beautiful low-key song with a typical Tony You White feel.

???? A great Singer/Songwriter has passed away..and is missing.

???? Tony You White’s ode to Tina Turner….

https://youtu.be/2xPZb59YcQU

/Peder

Posted on: 28 October 2018 by kevin J Carden

I think you’re right Peder. It was Tina Turners Foreign Affair that bought him to my attention. In particular it was the intro to ‘Undercover Agent for the Blues’ which of course he wrote and is typical of his style. I’d play that 15-20 seconds of Tony’s guitar over and over on repeat on CD. Spine tingling stuff.