Snake Oil

Posted by: Timmo1341 on 27 October 2018

Having seen mention of one of their ‘products’ on another site, I’ve just spent 10 highly amusing minutes on the ByBee website.

Unbelieveable! They advertise a set of ‘Nano Crystal Speaker Bullets’ for, get this, $4,999!!! The c**p that is contained in the description has to seen to be believed (or not!). It really is about time one of the more serious hifi publications ran an exposé of these, and similar, snake oil rip offs. Nowhere in their entire website could I find one bit of serious data in respect of how these gadgets are meant to achieve what is claimed - they might just as well have been plucked from a Harry Potter spell book!

For an even better laugh, read about their Internal Quantum Signal Enhancer!!

Just had to share this, but didn’t have the nerve to put it on the HiFi forum, as that it most certainly is not!

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

But you have to admit life would be just a little duller if it wasn’t for these amusing products (BTW I include ridiculously expensive Ethernet cables in here too) we could chuckle at..I guess we shouldn’t take things too seriously 

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by Beachcomber
Timmo1341 posted:

Having seen mention of one of their ‘products’ on another site, I’ve just spent 10 highly amusing minutes on the ByBee website.

Extraordinary!  Many of the products are just blocks of wood with some felt on the bottom.  Interestingly, his links to reviews of his products result in 404 erorr

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by Hmack

I notice that the 'Tweet Geek' website (which does sell some 'proper' hi-fi items) now has ex demo 'speaker bullets' that have now been further reduced  from $5,999 to $2,999 - a veritable bargain!

Surely no one, save the super rich who have too much money to worry about what they spend will be taken in by ridiculous claims such as those for this product.

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by Timmo1341
Hmack posted:

I notice that the 'Tweet Geek' website (which does sell some 'proper' hi-fi items) now has ex demo 'speaker bullets' that have now been further reduced  from $5,999 to $2,999 - a veritable bargain!

Surely no one, save the super rich who have too much money to worry about what they spend will be taken in by ridiculous claims such as those for this product.

In my experience (up to a couple of ‘proper’ millionaires, not including house value!) those with  bigger than average incomes/bank balances tend to be more careful with their cash than Mr Average. That’s probably how they became rich in the first place. I don’t know anyone with inherited wealth. Perhaps those who haven’t worked for it are less careful?

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by Romi

From the Sellers point of view if one prices the object at an noticable certain price, the rich buyer may have a go without any exhaustive research.  If the 'speaker bullets' were priced at $10 the seller may get a lot more offers from other type of buyers  but the total would not match the profit of netting maybe the one tatgetted buyer for the sum of $5,999 or even the reduced price of $2,999.  It seems to me the Seller is really taking the total pxxxs but its done with quite an arrogant insolence.