????Gibson Recovers,After.. Threat Of Bankruptcy

Posted by: Peder on 27 October 2018

????Gibson Recovers,After..
                   Threat Of Bankruptcy????

Guitar brand Gibson is back on his feet,after earlier this year threatened by bankruptcy, according to NME.

The economic crisis of the iconic instrument producer was discovered at the beginning of the year,after the financial manager suddenly left the company.
Only one year after he started his service-and six months before the company's loan of 375 million with security expired.
Then,in May,the announcement came that the guitar mark is applying for bankruptcy protection.

Now reported that the investment company Ksek,which is the largest owner in Gibson, appointed James ÂJC "Curleigh to the new CEO and chairman.
Current CEO Henry Juszkiewicz,who ruled Gibson since 1986,resigns in a year and works until its side by side with James ÂJC "Curleigh in the transition phase.

Gibson was founded over a century ago, and released his first electric guitar in the 1930s.

Since then, a variety of music icons have created music on the brand's guitars,..including Bob Marley, Carlos Santana and Slash.

/Peder????

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by winkyincanada

The brand is extremely valuable, even with the workings of the company behind it less so. I hope they manage to turn it around. For me, they make too many variations of the same models, often at very different price points. It is far from obvious to many what distinguishes a $4,000 Les Paul from a $1200 one hanging on the guitar-shop wall. Personally I'd cut the number of mid-low price variants and move more firmly to the high-end. To fill the gap, I'd perhaps move to some of the mid priced models across to Epiphone. One could argue that changing to the Epiphone brand would reduce their sales price expectations, but this would hopefully be offset by the strength of the Gibson brand in the high-end. The "custom shop" differentiator was meant to do this, but I think it is still confusing to many.

"Gibson" should always mean "sort-of-hand-made in the USA" for the brand to remain respected. Whether or not making something in the US results in a technically better product is not as obvious, of course, but guitarists are wedded to tradition. (Fender are clearer on this with the US-made guitars more readily differentiated. They also have too many variants, though)

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by dave marshall

I, for one, will be glad to see the back of Henry, under whose watch, the brand has suffered.

It's all very well turning out high end guitars, but the quality control over recent years has been lacking, and I had first hand experience of this when I had to return a Custom Shop Les Paul, where the finishing was abysmal.

I fear the horse has bolted though, as the quality of many instruments coming from the Far East these days is top notch.

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by glasnaim

I agree the horse bolted for me over 5 years ago, Gibson quality control seemed non existent, had to return two fairly expensive Gibson acoustics, Hummingbird and J200, as the finish was shocking. I have switched to small hand built shops like Collings and Bourgeois, Gibson could learn a lot from these guys.

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by TOBYJUG

Those Gibson master museum Hummingbird and j200 like tasty.

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by Clive B

The only solution is to buy a genuine vintage Gibson with PAF humbuckers. 

glasnaim posted:

I agree the horse bolted for me over 5 years ago, Gibson quality control seemed non existent, had to return two fairly expensive Gibson acoustics, Hummingbird and J200, as the finish was shocking. I have switched to small hand built shops like Collings and Bourgeois, Gibson could learn a lot from these guys.

Interesting. The Gibsons I have been most interested in, ES-335s have been flawless when I've inspected and tried them in shops. But then so is the Godin equivalent for about 1/2 the price. Gibson as a brand cannot afford a sniff of mistrust in the quality of their high-end guitars. They just might be dead after all.

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by ewemon
dave marshall posted:

I, for one, will be glad to see the back of Henry, under whose watch, the brand has suffered.

It's all very well turning out high end guitars, but the quality control over recent years has been lacking, and I had first hand experience of this when I had to return a Custom Shop Les Paul, where the finishing was abysmal.

I fear the horse has bolted though, as the quality of many instruments coming from the Far East these days is top notch.

Too true Dave. Quality issues have stopped me getting a Les Paul. I have a couple of Chinese made guitars, one Indonesian and a Korean all made to a very high sytandard. Though my mainstay is a US Tele

ewemon posted:
dave marshall posted:

Too true Dave. Quality issues have stopped me getting a Les Paul. I have a couple of Chinese made guitars, one Indonesian and a Korean all made to a very high sytandard. Though my mainstay is a US Tele

My US tele is great, too. A purchase almost on impulse. But what a great guitar.